Looks great FAD

Congratulations Briar

Hope everyone is well

D
Old 06-06-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Thanks guys!

Also I just learned that Laptop Lunches has a free app with tons of meal ideas, so my life just got better.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Absolutely Briar. Apps for everything. Does that avocado stay nice and fresh in those lunch boxes or do you spritz it with some lemon juice to keep from browning?
Old 06-06-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Arbor I just put a little salt on the avocado and it lasts just fine until lunchtime.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Briar!!

The vacation looks lovely, FAD!

We attended a grad party for our friends' daughter. I feel so full. thee was lots of great food. Now we are all home, in different corners with our phones and iPods, lol. Introverts.

Not sure what we will do tomorrow. No soccer! We actually have nothing on the calendar. So rare. Should probably do yard work.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Well gang,

I mentioned some time back that I intended to have a frank discussion with my son about drinking. He wanted to ride with me on the drive down here because I was to arrive earlier. Anyway, the timing felt right and comfortable and we had a nice talk about my family history of alcoholism and I told him that I had developed an unhealthy relationship with alcohol and have made the decision to completely abstain from now on.

I didn't feel compelled to share every ugly detail of my struggle but it was the type of discussion where my point was made without a terribly long discourse. I was mindful to not be preachy but encouraged him to be aware of the warning signs and we talked a bit about factors that may predispose some to be more at risk.

I'm not naive and certainly expect that he'll engage in drinking with his friends, but I feel that a seed of thought was planted and he knows that his dad is concerned about his health and the dangers that alcohol holds for some.

I'm very thankful that my son and I had that time together. I smile at the memory.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

That is great, FAD. you have planted a good seed of truth.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

That's really good, FAD. I had to learn about alcoholism by watching my dad die from it. Definitely NOT how it should be. You're doing amazing things for your kids, more than you realize.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor8 View Post
Absolutely Briar. Apps for everything. Does that avocado stay nice and fresh in those lunch boxes or do you spritz it with some lemon juice to keep from browning?
Funny...as I walked/worked today, I couldn't get that out of my mind....kept thinking but it will go brown, and that I would cover it with glad wrap....oh my, I am my mother.

Lordy, I just worked in 50km (31..1 mile) winds.
And I was at the beach, so you can add some extra on top of that.
I think I have sand and dust in my ears.
I almost got knocked over. Not fun at all.

EDIT: No one is coming near my avocado with salt...no chance. And by the way, I bought one on the way home.
I am going to have my chicken/avocado/tomato toasties for dinner tonight.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
That's really good, FAD. I had to learn about alcoholism by watching my dad die from it. Definitely NOT how it should be. You're doing amazing things for your kids, more than you realize.
I couldn't agree more.

Proud of you from ~ as I have said before, you are an awesome dad.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Chicken/avocado/tomato toasties sound good to me. How do you prepare those?
Oh boy how the sound of crashing waves goes well with my coffee. I may have to go for two cups this morning.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

My favourite multi-grain bread, butter or margarine on the outside, avocado first, then the chicken, (I buy shaved chicken breast and put about 3 thin slices), then four slices of tomato.
Into the sandwich grill....and cook. easy peasey and seriously awesome. Eating one right now.

I spent 4 hours walking/working at the beach today in crazy winds ~ the best part was looking at the crashing waves.
Seriously awesome huh?

And sidenote, how nuts am I? I could do this every single day....I LIVE at the beach....what on earth is wrong with me????
Old 06-07-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

I'm gonna try that toastie. It won't be too long and I'll be able to get 'vine ripe' tomatoes. They have such great taste. I may try a little mayo on it too.

I've wondered what it would be like to have access to the beach every day.....if I would treasure it quite as much. My home is about a six hour drive from here. Not too bad, and it's very popular for folks to buy a holiday beach place here. I've considered it, but we also like to see other places and would be more limited budget wise if we tried to own. Access to the mountains from home is about 7 to 8 hours and I really enjoy that as well. I guess that's one reason I'm a bit envious of those that have quicker access to geographic diversity. But sometimes we don't seem to value as much the things that come too easily. Anytime we're at the mountains or beach it automatically feels special and something to be treasured while we're there.

I hope you've held up well with your work V and rest well this evening.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

My foot hurts. Big time.

You know, I don't take it for granted at all...I have just been too sad to remember the beauty of where I live. That is going to change now. Absolutely.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Venus, let that beauty lift you up. The ocean is so soothing to me, well, unless I had to walk all day in chilly 31MPH winds!

I live only a long hour in icky traffic away from beaches to the Northeast, and the coast in Boston(but harbor, not beach). We do not enjoy it often enough. Parking is a challenge here. And the summer season is short. The traffic can make it longer too. If it were more accessible, I would be there regularly for sure. That was what I loved about the Southern California beaches and the Florida Gulf coast. You can get onto the beach very easily any time of day, if you have to drive there. Of course, a place on the water would eliminate all those issues.

Avocado toasty sounds delish to me too. Maybe even a slice of cheese in there would be nice. I made a ton of guacamole for a party yesterday. 10 avocadoes worth! Reserved a bit for my husband and I to enjoy today.

It was a gorgeous day yesterday, but I think pollen got to me. My eyes are so puffy! Not painful or anything, but look a bit like I cried all night. Mt daughter asked me, "What's wrong Mom?" LOL. Nothing, really! I don't think she believed me. She told me she had a teacher asking her the same one day, due to allergies.

Beautiful day again today. Trying to nudge the family into doing something. Ugh. That is my biggest peeve with dh and his drinking. He sleeps in and then is so sluggish, and we never do anything. Of course, it has been me plenty of times too. But it would be such a positive thing for the family if we were on the same page with it. Not only would I have support, we would both be more present for the kids.

So, all that complaining out there, I guess I can go off with the kids to do something. without him.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

And sorry about your foot, V. That fracture needs to heal. I hope you can find a way to give it some healing time.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Ahhhh...the beach life. That's a really cool lifestyle to live V. My brother lives right on the water too. His backyard is long island sound.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

I missed so much since yesterday afternoon!

Congrats Briar!!!!!

And From, too! You conquered a tough, but necessary, conversation with your kiddo. That's got to feel great.

Avocado toasty sounds like the best thing ever... A trip to the store may be in order. I'll bet it would taste even better with your foot propped up with an ice-pack. (He he Just trying to get you to rest that foot.)

A leak in the roof of the garage turned into a huge project that will continue through the day today. I'm in awe of Cowboys and his friends construction abilities. That kinda stuff is so foreign to me. I'm no help with it but can make lunch! Those toasties may be just the thing, too.

Enjoy your sober Sundays!