View Single Post
Old 06-06-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Mark1014

Well gang,

I mentioned some time back that I intended to have a frank discussion with my son about drinking. He wanted to ride with me on the drive down here because I was to arrive earlier. Anyway, the timing felt right and comfortable and we had a nice talk about my family history of alcoholism and I told him that I had developed an unhealthy relationship with alcohol and have made the decision to completely abstain from now on.

I didn't feel compelled to share every ugly detail of my struggle but it was the type of discussion where my point was made without a terribly long discourse. I was mindful to not be preachy but encouraged him to be aware of the warning signs and we talked a bit about factors that may predispose some to be more at risk.

I'm not naive and certainly expect that he'll engage in drinking with his friends, but I feel that a seed of thought was planted and he knows that his dad is concerned about his health and the dangers that alcohol holds for some.

I'm very thankful that my son and I had that time together. I smile at the memory.