Notices

Class of May 2015 (Part 4)

Old 06-02-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Copper, I'm beginning to think mine sucks too. LMAO.

I wish I knew the codes for different emoticons on this forum. They are so freaking random that you can't just type them in from memory and it takes a while to find them by searching, but I want to throw them in here and there.

We'll come up with a plan that really fits us as individuals. We are the architects, right? Sorry about the night terrors. I totally forgot you said that. Have you ever been tested for sleep apnea? Sometimes that can be the cause.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Duplicate post. Don't know why I have that happen once in a while. Gremlins.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
It was at least nine feet long Cissy. After I posted it walked the couple hundred feet from that lake across our yard and swam off into the Gulf of Mexico. Needless to say we're just fishing in this water and saving the swimming for a pool in town.
Wild. Can't picture how a lake can be that close to the Gulf. Your family owns that land? Lucky yous! Except for the flesh-eating reptiles, I mean.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Copper442 View Post

Casey, thank you. I know you're right. I struggle with the notion that I'm in control of whether I take that first drink or not. In that moment when presented with an opportunity I shut down. I completely detach from my body and inside I'm screaming, "don't do it. Run away" but I watch myself pick up and drink as I sit paralyzed in my own head. Recoiling into myself I'm sure developed when I was younger and got scared but it's hindering me now. It sounds like a cop out and maybe it is. I struggle to bring myself out of it though and that scares me. About the sleep issues, I haven't addressed them with a doctor. In some twisted way I feel I deserve to suffer through it.
I definitely remember what it feels like to make that decision in my head that I'm going to drink and how DEFINITE it feels even if I don't take that first drink for hours after that. It's why I keep stressing to myself (and thus to all of you) that it is ultimately my decision. I'm trying to retrain myself. I've been blessed so far this go around and haven't had any major cravings since day six or seven. But I want to be ready if they do come. It's also why I'm building such a strong presence on these forums. I want to fully KNOW that coming here is always an option when those cravings come. I want to build some accountability.

Seems to me you're doing the same thing with these honest posts. You're on the right path.

No one deserves to suffer. That's your addiction talking. Hope you'll see a doctor about your sleep issues.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Hi folks.....Day 22! Congrats to kkik! So happy for you

I'm doing fairly well but keep getting this weird thing at night. I fall asleep, and then always about an hour later wake up with a start and have this weird anxiety thing. Not even able to describe it really, but it's like I'm uncomfortable in my skin and have to stretch and breathe deep and do these weird movements. Last night was especially bad and couldn't shake it for hours. Felt like if I could scream at the top of my lungs it would be good, but that was out of the question. Finally got to sleep around 3 am though, and it passed. Good thing I'm working at home today. I guess it's anxiety? It feels more physical than mental though, but what the hell do I know.

Happy Tuesday all, and stay strong!)
Old 06-02-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
Wild. Can't picture how a lake can be that close to the Gulf. Your family owns that land? Lucky yous! Except for the flesh-eating reptiles, I mean.
It's a salt water lake fed from the Gulf underground. Probably was part of the Gulf a hundred years ago before retaining walls, etc., separated it completely.

And we are just renting it for the week. We come here a couple of times a year. Unfortunately the whole property just sold and the new owners are going to live here full-time so this will be the last trip.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Cissy, you're absolutely right. We can indeed take our sucky plans and make them super plans. I haven't been tested specifically for sleep apnea but I have had sleep studies done for other reasons and everything was fine.

Casey, thank you again. Your posts help to ground me. Seems my addiction is doing a bit too much talking today. I'll make an appointment with a doctor. Oh, and enjoy your vacation! But, please don't get eaten by anything. We would miss you too much.

Ginamarie, I've dealt with the same thing. Skin suddenly becomes too small, restlessness, jerky movements. I'm not sure what is it or what to call it but I find it happens to me a lot. Tylenol and Benadryl do the trick for me. Most times the tylenol is enough.

Last edited by Copper442; 06-02-2015 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Don't be gator bait
Old 06-02-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

No copper, you didn't contribute to the anxiety, I've felt like this since last night.

Cissy, good call on the caffeine. As soon as I read that I realized it definitely is s contributing factor. I'm eating lunch now so hopefully the caffeine buzz wears off soon.

I think the anxiety is relationship related today. My husband went out last night. Not a big deal in itself but I texted him about how it was day 30 and he said Wow! Congrats! And that was about it. I guess I was expecting a little bit more enthusiasm.

Then I woke up at 2 am and he wasn't home yet. I called him and he said he was on his way home. He didn't sound drunk at all so I'm not even bothered that he was at the bar. I am bothered that it was 2 am and that makes me think he's on the path to slipping back to where he was before.

If that is what is happening, I know I can't let that affect my recovery. That's his decision to make and the consequences are his to deal with. I can't help but worry though and I am anxious just thinking about having to deal with it.

I know I shouldn't be anxious about something that hasn't happened yet. That gets me into trouble because I start assuming he is doing bad things and it makes me mean. I can't help it though.

I think I need to get moving on making that therapist appointment.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Copper442 View Post
Cissy, you're absolutely right. We can indeed take our sucky plans and make them super plans. I haven't been tested specifically for sleep apnea but I have had sleep studies done for other reasons and everything was fine. Casey, thank you again. Your posts help to ground me. Seems my addiction is doing a bit too much talking today. I'll make an appointment with a doctor. Ginamarie, I've dealt with the same thing. Skin suddenly becomes too small, restlessness, jerky movements. I'm not sure what is it or what to call it but I find it happens to me a lot. Tylenol and Benadryl do the trick for me. Most times the tylenol is enough.
Casey you make me feel better too. Hopefully knowing that makes you realize that you are a good person.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

That's too bad that this will be your last time at the vacation rental, Casey. I'm sorry but maybe you will find something similar for the future trips.

Gina, that's terrible! Is there a place like a basement you can go to, cover your face with a pillow and really let out a good scream when you're feeling like that? Maybe out to your car? It might be just what you need to do to vent whatever it is that's going on inside you. You have to be able to get it out. I hope this passes soon!

Alliekat, that's a tough thing and I'm thankful for being single when it comes to stuff like that. If there was booze in the house or a spouse who was drinking, I don't think I could succeed. God give you the strength to find what it takes to stay the course.

Maybe he's afraid that you're going to ask him to stop drinking now.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Thanks, Cissy....you always make me laugh And no, there's nowhere I can go to scream. No basement, and I'm currently sans car because of car accident (I was sober and some idiot rear-ended me, totaled my car)....just waiting on the insurance, got my lawyer involved, and now they're taking FOREVER! I'm not even claiming injuries, I just want to be compensated for my car! (This was in February, mind you.) So now I'm car-less....in Los Angeles, of all places. Forced to take the subway and Uber. It's not bad getting to work that way, but the daily errands without a car are driving me batty!

But anyway, I digress.....the restlessness at night isn't the end of the world. I'm sure it's just remnants left over from boozing it up every day for so long. I'm going to take Copper's advice and try benadryl.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Cissy, he has stopped drinking for the most part. He has issues too and he knows it. He has been putting in a lot of effort over the last month the same as I have. His reasons are different than mine though so ?? I don't know. I am completely abstaining. He stopped except for about once a week he goes out with his friends. I'm ok with that. I just have a problem with assuming bad things will happen before they happen. Sometimes assuming bad things will happen turns things bad when they would have been fine if I would have just kept my worries to myself.

Does that make sense?

I think this is one of those times I should just try to stop worrying because it's probably my psychosis making things up to sabotage everything.

I feel crazy today.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Off to bed tomorrow is my one month anniversary. Big mile stone achieved.

Good luck all i believe in all of you.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Copper--this too shall pass. Hang in there.
Sometimes it helps me to identify why I'm thinking of drinking--what do I think/hope to get out of it? This can help me discover new, sober ways of dealing with the real issue. Most of the time I think that drinking will relax me or allow me to escape for a while. That tells me that I must be feeling stressed/overwhelmed; then I find alternate ways of managing the feeling. Maybe a walk? Maybe a distraction like TV or calling a friend? Maybe deep breathing? Some things work and some don't, but that's how I am learning to live sober.. But I know I won't feel shame, remorse, or withdrawal from walking, TV, a phone call, or deep breathing
Old 06-02-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ishallnotwant View Post
Sometimes it helps me to identify why I'm thinking of drinking--what do I think/hope to get out of it? This can help me discover new, sober ways of dealing with the real issue. Most of the time I think that drinking will relax me or allow me to escape for a while. That tells me that I must be feeling stressed/overwhelmed; then I find alternate ways of managing the feeling. Maybe a walk? Maybe a distraction like TV or calling a friend? Maybe deep breathing? Some things work and some don't, but that's how I am learning to live sober.. But I know I won't feel shame, remorse, or withdrawal from walking, TV, a phone call, or deep breathing
I really like this. Thank you.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ishallnotwant View Post
Just what I needed to read right now. I actually had the beer out on the counter - unopened, but ready, to have with lunch. Cravings are real. Cravings are evil. But they pass. I didn't give in. I'll run this afternoon. I'll make it through Day 12. For me, it has really helped to think about how I'll feel tomorrow if I slip today. Thanks for the sharing and wisdom everyone. It all helps.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Still way behind on posts!

But in better news it seems when I'm too busy to post here I'm too busy to even think about drinking! All busy in a good way. Spent most of the day at the beach and just had a fantastic meal. It's super early, but I'm exhausted so I'm heading to bed!

Cissy, I love the honesty in your posts, so don't hold back! You never know what you might say that could hit home with someone else and help them through something, negative or positive.

I can't believe I made it to June! Good job to everyone and hang in there if you're going through tough times. We're all here for you!!
Old 06-02-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Re-Member

segCurly, I apologize if you've explained this before and I missed it, but why do you have beer or other alcohol in the house right now anyways? I think I remember you posting a few days ago that you didn't even want to go in the kitchen because of the wine in there and now today you had beer available for lunch. If possible, maybe you should lose the booze in the house for now.

So glad you didn't choose to drink today and found what you needed in here instead. Keep checking in please!
Old 06-02-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
segCurly, I apologize if you've explained this before and I missed it, but why do you have beer or other alcohol in the house right now anyways? I think I remember you posting a few days ago that you didn't even want to go in the kitchen because of the wine in there and now today you had beer available for lunch. If possible, maybe you should lose the booze in the house for now.

So glad you didn't choose to drink today and found what you needed in here instead. Keep checking in please!
Valid question. My husband still drinks (like a normal person, though) - and, to really complicate things, we own a winery. Which means my business is in and around alcohol all the time. I have tried to clear out the house a few times - and my husband has supported it - but only for a few days. Then he'll forget and bring home something to 'try', or we'll go to a work event, and I'll slip back into old patterns. He doesn't believe I have an issue, so he never really worried bringing his work home. I need to be able to do this even if the enemy is in the house. I used to think I wouldn't be able to handle it, but it turns out I can. So far, so good. It would definitely be easier if he was an accountant or we owned a bookstore.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Holy #$%@#!!