Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 5

Old 06-04-2015, 10:03 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Good morning all, catch up laggers. It is Friday.

Lily, I would never forget you again.

OMD, hope you see things clearer in the light of a new day.

Come on COA (Class of April). Another weekend is almost upon us.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:14 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  
OMD

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and thoughts. I really mean this, this is so valuable to me. I especially appreciate your sharing your personal experiences of having tried to drink in moderation after a significant amount of time sober, I am not so foolish as to think I am different from you and how things would play out for me, so this is very valuable.

Some tough questions in all of this but fundamentally I do not want to return to where I was. I hated where I was and now I love where I am, for all the reasons I have previously posted. I don't miss the act of drinking at all. I miss some friends and I am concerned about business, but not so much that I think my livelihood will go away. In fact, when I think about this aspect I believe my productivity has improved on the whole.

I will refine this and will appreciate any comments but I think I can reduce the situation to a number of fundamental truths for me:

1. My life and the lives of those around me are infinitely better when I do not drink.
2. There is no reason to believe I can drink in moderation.
3. My life and the lives of those around me are most important things to me.
4. I can and must find a way to integrate fundamental truths 1 to 3 into all aspects of my life.

I think that's it. Maybe 2 should just disappear, it doesn't add anything when you look at 1.

Have a great day everyone, you're truly a fabulous group and I am very proud to be a member of this class.

OMD

P.s. Cauliflower have you read a book by Allen Carr, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking? I would recommend this. It is annoying in some of its style and deliberately repetitive in places but it helped me strip back the realities of smoking, which helps make the decision to commit to not smoking.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by ZaBoozer View Post
Good morning all, catch up laggers. It is Friday.

Lily, I would never forget you again.

OMD, hope you see things clearer in the light of a new day.

Come on COA (Class of April). Another weekend is almost upon us.
Thanks ZaB, I am trying, believe me I am trying very hard, to see things clearly. But nobody said it would be easy.

OMD
Old 06-04-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Good to hear, OMD. I am very glad you are a part of this group!
Old 06-04-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Morning all! Gearing up for another sober weekend in Andalucia! Have a great day!
Old 06-04-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by SwimKim12 View Post
Good to hear, OMD. I am very glad you are a part of this group!
Thank you

OMD
Old 06-04-2015, 10:38 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OMD View Post
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and thoughts. I really mean this, this is so valuable to me. I especially appreciate your sharing your personal experiences of having tried to drink in moderation after a significant amount of time sober, I am not so foolish as to think I am different from you and how things would play out for me, so this is very valuable.

Some tough questions in all of this but fundamentally I do not want to return to where I was. I hated where I was and now I love where I am, for all the reasons I have previously posted. I don't miss the act of drinking at all. I miss some friends and I am concerned about business, but not so much that I think my livelihood will go away. In fact, when I think about this aspect I believe my productivity has improved on the whole.

I will refine this and will appreciate any comments but I think I can reduce the situation to a number of fundamental truths for me:

1. My life and the lives of those around me are infinitely better when I do not drink.
2. There is no reason to believe I can drink in moderation.
3. My life and the lives of those around me are most important things to me.
4. I can and must find a way to integrate fundamental truths 1 to 3 into all aspects of my life.

I think that's it. Maybe 2 should just disappear, it doesn't add anything when you look at 1.

Have a great day everyone, you're truly a fabulous group and I am very proud to be a member of this class.

OMD

P.s. Cauliflower have you read a book by Allen Carr, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking? I would recommend this. It is annoying in some of its style and deliberately repetitive in places but it helped me strip back the realities of smoking, which helps make the decision to commit to not smoking.
I think you should keep point two mate - it is very important in the scheme of things. Point two is an actual statement to yourself.

No-one said it would be easy - you're right. But the things that are worth fighting for in life are not easy.

Hang in there mate - you are doing well. This is all just part of the sixty to ninety day AV attack. We will get through this. Even if we have to do it inch by inch.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

I'd leave point 2 as well. It specifies and clarifies
Old 06-05-2015, 12:16 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Here's a thing called Thought for the day. A quite amazing guy recommended it on the year and under thread. I've been meditating on it this morning and plan to dedicate it a couple of minutes each day. I think it will be something I can tap into like a mantra when AV pops up:

"Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life. The most important decision I ever made was my decision to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything I have, my whole life, depends on that one thing.

Can I afford ever to forget this, even for one minute?"
Old 06-05-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Quick hit and run.

None for me today
Old 06-05-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post

"Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life. The most important decision I ever made was my decision to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything I have, my whole life, depends on that one thing.

Can I afford ever to forget this, even for one minute?"
That's a perfect mantra Amp. I actually googled Andalucia Spain, and it looks absolutely stunning.

OMD, glad you are here! This is a great group, your post made me very happy this morning. I am so glad we are all on the same page, so to speak. I will take a look at that book recommendation as well.

I cannot believe it is already Friday. The days are going so much faster. This weekend I think I will take my son to explore the sand dunes and lagoons of our beach. It's fabulous, and I think he will enjoy a change of scenery. I used to take my older kids there when they were younger, but I don't think I ever took my little guy. So not fair to him. I was always too tired and just not in the mood.

I am having my coffee, and getting ready to head into the city for a training session for a new computer program. Should be interesting. Then meeting the hubby for lunch. I am just so grateful to be sober today. I am a much happier person today then I was 45 days ago.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Yes, Cauliflower, Andalucía is great. I live in a city called Cádiz which is the oldest city in Europe established by the Phoenicians as a trading port over 2000 years ago. It's an amazing place to live and I'm beginning to enjoy it again.

A sad thing is happening though today. A band I've been leading for over 8 years is breaking up. In part, because of an illness and death in my family, I haven't been able to make a lot of rehearsals, but also we weren't getting a lot of work. Either way, the drive seems to have gone out if it. The band used to mean everything to me but recently it's just been something I do at weekends... I just feel a bit numb about it. I think I'm changing in a lot of ways. One thing about the band is that it was a platform for drinking. Maybe that's why I'm shutting it out. It wasn't only that though. There were some amazing shows and a couple of very good records. A lot of good friends.... But maybe I need a different scene now.

I might take some time out and get back to my music after the summer. Not sure. Feels weird. I still take on composing and arrangement jobs that I can do from home so I'll be keeping my hand in...

Anyway, enough about my troubles! It's still a beautiful day and I get to spend the afternoon with my family instead of surrounded by drums and amps in a basement!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  
OMD

Hi all,
Just checking in and also enjoying reading the comments on my post this morning. As suggested, I'll keep what I will call Truth Number 2. Each of these will be a T number that I can keep in my head. I like the mantra too Amp.

Sorry to hear about the band breaking up Amp. I am sure you will have a lot of happy memories, and of course whatever happens next in your life it will be better without drinking. I have never been to Cadiz but I have seen a lot of Andalucia. I loved Córdoba and Granada and the whole countryside.

One of the interesting things about this class is its geographic diversity! Leaving Spain I see Cauliflour taking her boy down to explore some part of the planet we will never see, yet we are all connected here. Anway, if you get the book C, I hope it is useful to you.

Enjoy your Fridays. None for me and I am going to work hard over the weekend on how to integrate sobriety into my life, while having loads of fun with the kids

Best wishes

OMD
Old 06-05-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Amp, until your last post I never connected "Amp" with "amplifier" - great name Thanks for sharing about your band breaking up. I think there are unexpected changes that happen when we get sober - things that seemed important aren't so much anymore and vice versa. Even if music may not play as big of a role in your life at this point, you will always have the memories of the good times and will be able to pick it back up in the future as the new sober you.

This weekend is my best friend's wedding. Tonight rehearsal dinner, tomorrow wedding. I will not drink. Have no desire to. I've been visualizing the event for weeks, and I am going to enjoy seeing friends and his family who I haven't seen in years. All while toasting with sparkling cider and enjoying club soda with lime during cocktail hour

I am choosing to remain sober because there is nothing positive that will come from having once sip or countless glasses of alcohol. I drank for the wedding shower and his bachelor party; I blacked out at the shower and fell dancing and broke my favorite shoes (and must have looked like a huge mess - how embarrassing), and I drank all day during his bachelor party and was so hungover the next day I couldn't really enjoy spending time with good friends who I hardly ever see. If I drank at the rehearsal and wedding where would things end up? Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out I am going to enjoy the festivities sober (and turn down drinks as necessary) and be able to fully enjoy the company of dear friends and the beautiful atmosphere. And wake up feeling refreshed in the morning.

Just had to get that all out here. It has helped me stay sober to reiterate to myself why I am here and why I want to be sober - keeps it in the forefront of my mind and doesn't leave any room for the AV's lies. Hope you all have a great day!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Hi all I am still here reading posts but not always able to post...

Good luck on the quitting smoking Zab and Cauliflower...I'm finding the pangs getting less and less with time

I have yet again successfully by-passed the Friday afternoon colleagues at the pub..I have told them that I am going for 12 weeks alcohol free as part of a diet....my boss actually found it funny, like there's no way I could possibly do it.

I really like your idea though Amp of the blood pressure problem. I would find it incredibly difficult in my line of work to admit that I have a problem with alcohol. Although I have never consumed alcohol at work one colleague was sacked..

I am going to have to come up with something though for these Friday afternoons stints in the future..

Zab if you are doing a roll call don't forget me

Its a beautiful day here and I will probably venture out into the garden again. My neighbours have a 16 year old son who, when home alone, thinks its safe to sit in the garden and smoke dope. Little does he know that I am on the other side of the fence...Its damn strong I tell you

Have a great evening all

ps has anyone heard from Chadders?
Old 06-05-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Great mantra amp- I also googles Andalucia Beautiful scenery!

Swim Kim- I like how you played that out. The best part will be waking up sober, refreshed and with a happy memory of the nights events. Have fun!

OMD - great list to have on hand- thank you for sharing

Spray that neighbor kid with the hose Martina lol it'll scare the life out of him!

Going out with a friend for dinner later. Otherwise just keeping busy with chores. Have a good Friday everybody
Old 06-05-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Quick check in.

Happy Friday! I work across from a Starbucks so I'm indulging on an iced coffee for lunch. Things are going great. 40 days sober tomorrow! Whoo hoo!! Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-05-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by Angie247 View Post
Quick check in.

Happy Friday! I work across from a Starbucks so I'm indulging on an iced coffee for lunch. Things are going great. 40 days sober tomorrow! Whoo hoo!! Have a great day everyone!
Way to go Angie! You should take a moment, that's an amazing achievement and goodness knows how grateful your body is for the chance to heal. Enjoy the moment when you wake up tomorrow!

OMD
Old 06-05-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  
OMD

Hi all, just a quick hello. Everyone seems to be doing well!

Tomorrow night I am out with some friends. Will be reminding myself of my Truths...

But for now, I'm shattered so signing off for today.

None for me tomorrow, and I look forward to catching up with everyone.

Best wishes
OMD
Old 06-05-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Morning all.....

Martina.....sympathise with the the Friday trigger thing. It was unusual this week. AV negotiations usually start 3 ish. ....on cue my reptile mind starts roughing in the weekend's drinking around what few commitments I might have. Which usually get broken anyway if drinking.

I walk to work.....afterwork home through the darkening cold streets, trigger time, house empty, drown out Friday nite with alcohol.

Friday night was long and solitary sure, but did some different things, cooked. Worked on a project, watched whatever docos the tv threw up and ended with a bizarre movie. In bed by 1.a.m. Slept poorly, bad dreams and awake again before light. But sober. Which the means the day is available....

So......

Sorry about the band amp.....I guess these things have a life, but maybe an opportunity too for something different again?

Wondering why 'shattered' omd?

40 days is great Angie.

Long weekend here....3 day challenge. Go do something with it.

Later