Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 18

Old 05-28-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Congratulations on an amazing 9 months Pink!

Old 05-29-2015, 02:53 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Happy Friday kids!

Challenging day yesterday. The AV was right there to take advantage and invite himself into my thoughts. Going to a concert tonight, which I don't think I have too much sober experience at. I am good though. Just keeping on alert and eye on the prize. The AV really likes bad days and to get you into an F it place. No sausages.

"We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are." The Talmud

Resolve.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Determined you totally have this under control. You will remember it all tomorrow and feel fresh and well chuffed and we will be damn proud!! Let the atmosphere consume you and go with it and enjoy. Take some sweets ti keep your mouth busy!! Post If you need to. First sober experiences are the scariest. I have total faith in your strength. You got this. Screw the av up into a ball and drop kick it out the window. The av is not invited tonight for you!!! Xx
Old 05-29-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Diving in with a quick check in. I am in Helsinki for two days before flying home. One of the worlds most expensive places for alcohol, lol. I can smile now but I would have been 'prioritising' and gone without my food and sightseeing to be able to drink a year ago...

You're going to be fine Determined! Kick that AV into touch and enjoy the concert. Sober muscles waiting to kick in and help you out.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Pink and London, thank you!! Tough one indeed, but because it is a first. You guys rock! I predict a few ghost saves!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Enjoy the concert Determined! You'll be fully present and I bet will experience it on an entirely different level.

Off to a running retreat this weekend.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Thanks ultra! Felling a little better, I got this.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Determined, you are strong - you will be fine. It is because it is a new experience that you are apprehensive. Have fun and enjoye!

Of course I like Pink's idea of bringing sweets to the concert. I know sugar fights and KO's my av.

I think we should start writing av in lower case letters - It does not deserve to be capitalized!
Old 05-29-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Determind how you doing darling? We are thinking of you. Kick the av (small letters scooter!) To the curb baby! You don't need that poison, you got something way better you got a sober soul! Enjoy your concert and check in to let us celebrate your kick ass attitude! Xxx
Old 05-29-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Getting ready to head out soon. Spouse having beer but the allure of it has passed! You guys rock and are a life line! Scooter, thank you and I love the idea of lower case! Pink, thank you for the follow up words!! I feel like you must have at your event a few weeks ago. Gonna grab some food and I will be cool. Sober muscles baby!!

This team F-ing rocks!!!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Ah Determind, damn good to hear you're doing good, didn't doubt it for a second! Hope your evening rocks xxx
Old 05-29-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

All good! Got this. In your face av!!
Old 05-29-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Awesome determined! All fun, no av!

It's the weekend! School has started, and my brain is excited to have something to chew on. Now comes the part where I get up at 5am and stay cheerful until 10 pm. Gulp.

I got invited to join a performing hip hop dance troupe-haha. NEVER would have happened last June. Amazing what a hangover free morning can do!

Love it!
Old 05-29-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Nice work Determined- keep it up!

Spotty connection here.

I'm thinking about the power of the peer group. Our Team is powerful as it anchors us around others with similar outlooks and successes. It's somewhere where being alcohol free is normal- and therefore grounds us and adds to our resolve.

Let's keep it up!
Old 05-29-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

In bed sober with ears ringing!

Thanks again guys!! Thanks Choobie it was all fun no av! You are spot on with your comment there ultra!

Pink, London, scooter, Choobie, ultra and this fantastic team - truly would not be this far without you.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Yeah determined! Well done. And I am hoping you enjoyed the music without too much stress about AV.

Bright and early in Finland. I am off for a run as its a beautiful day. I am spoiled as getting full breakfasts after work outs is great !

Have a good day all :-)
Old 05-30-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Good morning,

Determined, I think I speak for all of us when I say we had no doubt you could get through the concert!

Ultra, I think we are a unique group - although we do not know each other face-to-face, we are a tight-knit group that totally supports each other, and enjoys each other's progress as well as our own.

I am home from the Y and about to get out lawn furniture and wash it.

Let's keep on keeping on!
Old 05-30-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Thanks London and scooter! You are spot on, we are a tribe of sober warriors! If the av messes with one of us he messes with all of us!
Old 05-30-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Great job Determined!

I've never been a big fan of explaining choices with the "av". It bestowes unearned power on the negative voice that pops into everyone's head once in a while- regardless of the activity or situation.

The av is not a third party. I see it more as a person's "sv" (Sabataging Voice). It's the fear and worry that one doesn't deserve success and therefore shouldn't really committ to a worthy goal-- or the thought that things are going "too well" which can bring one out of their comfort zone.

It's one telling themselves they can't do it, they are not worth it, It's too hard, ect. It's looking for reasons they can't instead of reasons that they can and should.

A bunch of us are at the point where we confidently tell others (obviously situation specefic) we are alcohol free.

Let's remeber to tell ourselves that as well any time a flicker of doubt surfaces.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

So one of the coaches today who has done many, many triathlons talked about crying at mile 40 of a 60 mile race and telling his crew he didn't think he could finish . He was carrying a bunch of "baggage" in the race and didn't have his mental game that day.

He was screamed at by his son at the aid station who said "No sympathy from the crew Dad. You came here to finish the race and that's exactly what you are going to do"!

The coach brought up the fact that he had to silence his "negative inner critic" (the one everyone in the world has) to finish the race. And his struggle made it more memorable.

Regardless of the name we assign to our negative thoughts, let's assign no power.