Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 18

Old 06-02-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Great posts - very impressive!

We have been having such dark, cold wet weather! Late this afternoon I sat on a recliner to read, and Scooter woke me to go outside about twenty minutes ago. I am going to go right back to bed; I guess my active life is catching up to me.

I have decided I really like having the volume turned off on my phones, and when my brother finally solves his marital problems, I might just keep turning them off.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Good morning all

Travelling north with work today. It's cold for May! I hope it warms up for the tennis coming soon, although the weekend looks good.

Scooter - I often use the silent function on my phones and just relax! I never used to

Have a great day all
Old 06-03-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Happy hump day kids!

How about a quick check in today gang? Tumble weeds blowing by in here!

Hope everyone is having. Great week so far.

"We are the hurdles we leap to be ourselves." Michael McClure

Free
Old 06-03-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Checking in!

It is still cold here - broke the record for the coldest June 1st and June 2nd ever recorded.

I am doing well and feeling great.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Scooter i have my phone on siletn75% of the time. It's so liberating! Make very good idea 😊 weather has picked up a little here, bloody windy though! No news this end, just plodding through each day one at a time! Glad you are all doing well my friends, thinking of you all lots! Off to cook dinner, will, pop by before bed time x
Old 06-03-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

My 11 year old ran 3 miles on the treadmill yesterday at his request. This backs up the theory that more thing are "caught" than "taught" to our children.

I was happy he was modeling something positive that I enjoy and is healthy for him.

My parents are freaked out that I'm training to run a bunch of miles. They shared with me that someone had recently died during a 5k.

I choose not to respond with, "Thanks for the warning! That's exactly why me and this guy known as London are bypassing the 5k and jumping right to longer races!" Instead I sent them an article about a 90+ year old woman who just completed her 15th (or so) Marathon and a note reminding them there are extreme outliers in every activity, political leaning, etc.

I'm only slightly annoyed at my parents since I know their concern is born from love and I have a great relationship with them. It's ultimately pretty comical to have people who exercise less than me, eat less healthy than me, and drink more than they should- suggest that MY health may be in jeopardy if I continue to train for my epic run!
Old 06-03-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

It must be a great feeling to have your son emulate your positive changes, Ultra! It's probably light years away from the feeling after having watched our children emulate our old habits. I'm proud of both of you!

Scooter, I never turn my phone off, but I also feel no inclination to answer it or even check to see who is calling when it rings. I think that's the extreme introvert in me.

Thanks for the round up, Determined!

It's been a long week at work already. Glad I decided to invest in myself a bit. Now when I feel down, all I have to do is remind myself of all we have accomplished this year. Quite a lot! All good.

Love to you all!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:47 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Choobie love your attitude of gratitude that peps you up after your long week at work! I shall remind myself of just how much I have achieved at 3 PM this afternoon when I'm flagging, really like this IDEA!

Ultra love the irony of you last sentence, I'd never really thought about it when other people give there opinion and actually then couldn't do said task themselves! I shall, in future, I have a lady at work that is, criticising the fact I can not afford a landscape gardener and how I will, ruin my garden. She's getting me down. Silly woman. We can do this, and will do this, and probably save about 2000 even though it will, take a lot longer, and a lot of manual labour and tears! Nothing like a bit of support eh! So proud of your commitment to, run. You can totally do this, your halfway there already man x

Time to get up ad go to work. Head is throbbing due to a bad nights sleep due to the cat wanting to play most of the night. It was cute until 2 am. Not so cute by 4am! Still, kicks the ass out of a hangover headChe, blurred vision, stumbling around uncoordinated, late for work, looking for my car keys in somewhere random like th e fridge, driving to work over the limit, drinking a pint of coke on the way and being sluggish all day, clock watching to 5 PM to go to thee off licence on the way home to start again. Damn was I such a slave? Woah!

Have a good day people, smile, love, notice, enjoy, care, be, do,, succeed.

Much love to you all xxx
Old 06-04-2015, 02:50 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Hey kids, happy Thursday!

Gotta jump quick today. Going forth with the attitude of gratitude!

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars." Harry van dyke

Joy
Old 06-04-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Good morning,

My mother taught us to start with "You might want to" whenever we decide our opinion is necessary. So, Pink, you might want to tell the woman at work that you enjoy the gardening and you are looking forward to the great satisfaction of having it completed just the way you want it. Who appointed her the garden police?

I do feel a freedom from not hearing the phone ring. If I am watching television when a call comes in on my landline, it shows on the screen because I only have the volumes turned off, not the phone.

On Monday a friend called to tell me she had been to a thrift shop and saw two chairs she wanted. They would not hold them for her, and as it was Senior Citizen Day - half price off everything - she was wondering if I would get them for her as she is too young for the discount.

I have an old small pick-up truck, so I went to get them for her. When I told the cashier I wanted to buy the chairs and went to hand her the money, she told me you had to be over 55 to get the discount. I told her I am 62, and she asked to see my ID ! Now, that was a first! It had me smiling the rest of the day. My friend was thrilled with the chairs, but no happier than I was!

I am off to the Y.

Let's keep on keeping on.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Ha ha ha, Scooter I loved the garden police expression! Pink, work you do yourself is always so much more satisfying. Put a worm in her bag or something he he.

Hope everyone is good. I am checking in late as I have been travelling with work. Yesterday I got all confused and wrote it's cold for MAY doh, when in fact it is JUNE of course. Today is great weather. I am home and drinking flavoured water in the sun on my little balcony.

Ultra, you continue to inspire me. I have not done any training since Sunday but tomorrow is going to be my long run day.

10 months for me today!! Love it. I forgot but the people on the 24 hour commitment thread always post milestones and they spotted mine. How cool!

Keep on keeping on folks. #nosausages
Old 06-04-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

London, 10 months!! Look at you striding forward!!! So bloody proud of your fabulousness and strength, rock on London!!!

Love the idea of putting a worm in the garden police woman's bag!!!! Love the garden police!!! Thanks London and scooter for affirming my belief in myself. Interfering old bat! We will have fun and pride and hopefully a garden by the end of June!!!

What a beautiful day! Sun is shining, and the birds are soaring, and everything seems more beautiful today! Lovely :-)

What do you all have planned for this weekend? Let's hear about it! I'm gardening, but also visiting a local farm to volunteer for the annual open farm weekend. Tractor rides, potato picking, sheep dancing....only in the country eh?! Looking forward to it!!

Much love guys!
#nosausages xxx
Old 06-04-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 10 months Sth
Sometimes it's nice to be carded Scooter

have a good weekend pink - and everyone

D
Old 06-04-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

What is everyone going to do for their one year sobriety anniversary?

I may buy some beef ribs and go fishing
Old 06-05-2015, 02:59 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Happy Friday peeps!

Challenging day yesterday, had several face biopsies. Too much fun in the sun over the years. I guess it is not true after all that if you are a surfer you can use Budweiser for sun screen! Who knew? Likely it is basal cell and I will have to have a minor surgery in the coming months. Will know for sure in a week or so.

Boy, that av went with it for a bit though... See, life is short, just party and live fast, screw it, etc... I thought it through and know that would be a colossal mistake and a regrettable path. Just learning and growing again by this experience. I am a little bummed I won't be able to have a golden tan anymore, but a Casper the ghost surfer look is kinda of cool I think. I am just gonna have to get more tattoos and go goth. When one door is closed, another is open.

Great reading all your posts by the way guys. And freakin great job London!!! Wow dude!

Pink, how about planting some kale and okra and shipping it over the pond? Gardens rock, they are so wonderful to gaze at and smell. Include lots of flowers!

Gotta jump. Have a fantastic day scooter, Choobie, grateful, London, ultra, pink, dry, knb, rah, and anyone else my memory is failing me on!

And you too dee, you awesome little bugger!

"Fear is educated into us, and can, if we wish, be educated out." Karl Menninger

Love.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Great story Scooter- big changes since August!

10 Months is London and enjoy yiur long run. I haven't run since Sunday but am planning back to back 10 milers this weekend.

Nicely handled Determined.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

London has 10 months! Woooooooooohooooooooo!

Determined-so glad that you made the decision to make the most of your life yesterday! Hoping your biopsy comes back negative. Either way, fish belly white is completely acceptable here in the North all year around if you need a change of scenery. Love and strength to you!

Pink, I think Scooter has defined your Mavis! Don't let GP judgement ruin your fine landscaping efforts. I do my own landscaping, and although my standards are admittedly low, I do a fine job. No one has arrested me yet.

Scooter, did you think that when you put down the drink you'd be turning back the clock? Amazing!

Have a great day all!
Old 06-05-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

London, TEN MONTHS!!!! Wow! Congratulations.

Determined, I think your reaction was normal - even non-alcoholics have that "screw it" feeling when there is a possibility of a malignancy. You rebounded nicely.

Pink, are you growing flowers or veggies or both? I lack a green thumb - to put it mildly.....the Garden Police better never come to my house!

I think Bob and I are going sailing tomorrow for the first time this year, but it depends on the weather.

Dry, I have not decided what I am going to do for the one year celebration....but, it is time to start thinking about it. It will have to be a personal celebration as you are the only people that know I stopped drinking.

Ultra and Choobie, I think I would have stopped drinking years ago if I even had an inkling that I would look and feel this good. I admit vanity is one of my traits that was hidden in the bottle. I shudder now when I think of the number of times I went out drunk, disheveled, in a sweatsuit, no make-up ----AGH ! ! ! I need to remember that when my av comes calling.

Cute, Grateful, Rah, Knb, EVERYONE! Please post to let us know how you are!

Let's keep on keeping on. #NoSausages.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:53 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Hey guys

Good morning to you all and happy weekend!

I missed posting yesterday due to travelling, sorry I didn't check in.

Looking forward to a fun weekend. First I am doing AA and then gym. Later I am heading to a birthday party. The weather is good too. Sunday is a 'me' day with no plans which I love nowadays.

Thanks for the messages for 10. Look forward to all this months milestones with you guys :-)
Old 06-06-2015, 01:56 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Determind, you are strong, and i love your attitude and resolve. This time last year you would have handled it very differently, we are damn proud of you today. Wishing you strength and courage in your Battle! White and healthy is definitely the way to go! Lush love xx

Today we put the top soil on the garden, next weekend we are turfing, and then i can move on to the nice things of constructing my veggie garden. I'm going to start off simple ic think with carrots, potatoes, parsnips, green beans, peppers, cucumber, spring onions, strawberries and raspberries. Next year i might get a bit more adventurous! I hope the garden police approve! I'm buying some planters today for my patio and have bought some petunias and geraniums so that we can have some colour over the summer. In the winter i will replace them with shrubs and hardy herbs like rosemary. Exciting eh?!

Not much news here. I have woken up with a dripping nose, lots of sneezing and aching. Think a summer cold has arrived. Lovely. I look like rudolph the red nosed reindeer. Sexy! Grocery shopping later at mavis' old haunt so will definitely keep an eye out!

Have at lovely day all, enjoy your weekend xxx