SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of August 2014 Part 18 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/367483-class-august-2014-part-18-a.html)

Dee74 05-18-2015 03:51 AM

Class of August 2014 Part 18

Last part here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-17-a-20.html

D

ScooterBoo 05-18-2015 03:57 AM

Good morning,

I just wrote a long post in the previous thread, then found out it was closed, and I do not have time.

1Step, I agree that you must stop, put the drink down, and get to an AA meeting today. Alcohol is doing nothing but harming you. You have stopped before, and you must stop now.

I am off to the Y, then to the library to read the shelves.

Have a wonderful day, team.

Dee74 05-18-2015 04:01 AM

Sorry Scooter - I have a migraine and want to get to bed.

D

thedryoutdrsmn 05-18-2015 09:56 AM

Hi guys, I hope everyone is healthy and happy!!
I've been doing a lot of fishing/camping the last two weeks, enjoying the Rocky Mountains, and so I haven't been on.
I feel like nearly 10 months into this thing gets us some cred on the subject of staying sober, I would say, way to go guys!!!! After a lot of reflection I would like to share with everyone the keys to success for me after the initial "breaking in/figuring out what life is going to look like sober" period.

First, I really think THE most important key to success is to find things that make you happy in life, and to identify that the bottle isn't one of them, as it will always hold people with addiction back, and it just has to go, since there will never be happiness with it. The hard part for me, and I think for a lot of folks, is getting over that initial hump, and admitting to yourself you don't have control over your habit. I had to ask myself "is it worth losing the people I love". The answer to that was no F$%^'n way!!

Overall, I'm doing really well, and after a lot of reflection, I'm much happier now sober than I was in the last 20 years or so not being sober.

I've had family members that have used AA with great success.
I was strongly encouraged to use it at first, but I'm a very private person by nature, and I wanted to see if I could be successful without going so public per se, although I'm sure the support would be as great as on this website. I found SR, and I like this website, I can use it as I want and not be as public with my issue.

Growing up, there were many social and habitual aspects of drinking beer.
Unfortunately, after 20 yrs, I finally admitted that the alcohol in the beer was way too addictive for me, and it began to consume my life.

I know on this website, the topic is controversial, but I think for some people, who can acknowledge that alcohol was the problem and not a water and sugar beverage, non-alcoholic "near beer" can help to satisfy the social and habitual aspects of drinking beer, without adding in the problem of alcohol addiction.
I think this could be a slippery slope (a trigger) for some people, however I've always known that my trigger is getting a buzz after three or four beers, which is impossible with the de-alcoholized beer, and if you don't believe me..go ahead and try to get a buzz with it, you will pee your pants or vomit from too much liquid first hahaha One beer is ~10 near beer, the math (and common sense) says it all. Naysayers who say there is still alcohol in it really need to give their heads a shake, as they really sound quite stupid when they talk (sorry that is my 2 bachelor of science degrees talking). There is no dependance happening with these low concentrations, trust me, I'm a very well educated man in science.

The near beer has really helped me hold on to the comforts of drinking beer without being consumed by it, or having an addiction to it. Most importantly it doesn't allow alcohol to affect my life, as there is none in it, my behaviour/mood is the same (just ask my fiancee). The other thing that is cool is that it is no longer a diuretic without the alcohol, and so it hydrates you in the summer (absolutely clear pee).

This may work for some, not others I realize, but if you are struggling with the social and habitual aspects of beer drinking, and you are stuck in a rut, it is a great option to try. I even have gone out and they sell it at comedy clubs etc.
You can have a great night out, and not have alcohol. Some of my friends even buy it when they come over to support me during sports events or on hunting trips.

Life is good man, without alcohol!!!!
Peace and happiness
Dry

1stepup 05-18-2015 10:32 AM

Off the drink, left with the wreckage to clear emotionally and financially again, got back in touch with sponsor and have to just get back to basics.

doingsomething 05-18-2015 12:03 PM

Lot's of great stories on here over the past week.

Scooter, big congrats on 9 months. That was a great synopsis. You are doing waaay better than me avoiding pizza. But I too really appreciate the way sobriety allows my brain to fully function. I don't forget things or make stupid mistakes. Planning and execution is much easier and better. I used to think I functioned pretty well while boozing. The bare minimum with lots of dropped balls is more like it.

The weight thing is a big bonus too. My activity level is higher on average, but even when I'm not particularly active for a week, my baseline weight seems to be 10 lbs less. Guess that was 10 lbs of booze calorie intake I was carrying around.

Pink, I felt the frustration just reading your story about your friend who refused to hear you. I have a couple of friends who are the same. They just will not accept that I'm an alcoholic. Mainly I think because it forces them to think about their drinking and also because they can no longer rationalize it by saying "at least I don't drink as much as that guy"

Right then. My personal situation is every bit as fast and loose as I feared it would be. And my soon to be home in Texas is every bit as unappealing as I thought, but hoped for something slightly better. I'm moving to Podunk, USA -
middle of nowhere. And charming it ain't. I'll make the best of it but this will be my biggest test yet. Work may be my saving grace but I suspect I will still have a fair amount of time on my hands, on my own, with a struggle to fill it. This is where my AV lies in wait. I just need to have a firm plan in place to deal with that when it comes, and stick to it. I can do this.

Soberwolf 05-18-2015 12:08 PM

Thanks for the new thread D & hello friends

pinklinzangel 05-18-2015 12:25 PM

Doing something you have a great attitude despite your circumstances not being your best hand of cards, and I find that inspiring, you totally have this, and we totally got you , thank you for all your positivity, it keeps me going !

Thanks for the new thread dee x
London 10k is a great start! Hope your jelly legs settled down lol, that made me chuckle, I remember jelly legs from my training!
1Step, great attitude. This is going to be tough, but you can do this, get to a a, get your sponsor involved, and keep strong and keep posting xxx
Scooter hope you had a great day!
Choobie, how you doing?
Dry good to see you, a very inspiring post! Thank you so much!
Determind, glad your smiling, keep at it my friend!

Short post from me in McDonald's!
Hoping to get Internet at home on Thursday woooooooooohooooooooo!
Sun is shining, tickling the Av s tummy, and it's giggling in delight. Have stocked up my fridge with soft drinks of all varieties to quench my thirst, but I can still hear Av singing. I can do this, it just passes me off when the Av turns up for dinner uninvited!

Keep fighting the good fight people, much love xxx

sthlondonab 05-18-2015 11:07 PM

Hey all

Shiny new thread!

I love the reflections dry, really good stuff. And I hope you have been having a great time in the Rockies.

1 step LEAN ON the guys in AA as much as you can and take as much support as you can too. You are going to do this.

Hoping everyone has a great day. I am heading off to work. It's a nice bright day after yesterday's rain so feeling happy this morning and ready to hit some deadlines :-)

determined99 05-19-2015 02:50 AM

Good morning comrades!! Happy Tuesday!

Great to hear from you dry! Howdy to the rest of the gang! Chin up 1step, head high and onward.

Pink, don't listen to that giggling gremlin!! It has fangs!

Gotta jump and go kick this day into gear.

"The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up." Muhammad Ali.

Wiggle.

ScooterBoo 05-19-2015 04:26 AM

Good morning,

Dee, no apology necessary - I should have noticed it. I hope your migraine has eased.

1Step, you can do this. Keep posting here and lean on AA.

Dry, good to hear from you! Happy to hear you are doing well.

Doing, good to hear from you, too. If there is a YMCA or other gym close by, you might want to join - a good way to use your time in a healthy manner and a good way to meet people.

Pink, you can fight the AV - try to picture one of your worst hangovers when it comes calling.

London, we had a nice bright day yesterday, but today it is dark and rainy.

Determined, I enjoyed today's quote.

Choobie? Grateful? I would love to hear from you.

I am off to the Y, then going for a facial and lunch at a vocational-technical high school with a few Y friends. I have never been, but I have heard great things....probably never interested in the past because they obviously don't have a license to serve!

Let's keep on keeping on!

Choobie 05-19-2015 07:27 AM

Hey all,
Checking in-alive and well!
I've been MIA in real life, too. I've had a lot of life decisions to make this past week or so. I've found that the soul searching I needed to do to quit drinking has really helped me make quick progress. And I get to be sober. Good all around! At the end of the day, all I really have to do is go back to school full time (while working full time) to finish the degree I abandoned when I started drinking again. It's going to be busy, but possible and rewarding as well. I'm starting in 10 days, and everything has been lined up-child care, work schedules, calendars, coffee reserves.

Sorry I haven't been around much-hope to change that!

Love to you all!

opalblue 05-19-2015 07:35 AM

Hey my old friends,
I disappeared for a while...seven months to be exact. Yep..been drinking solidly throughout.
Anyway, back to SR to hopefully get myself sorted. Its so amazing to still see some of you still not drinking! Full respect there.

I have been posting in the newbies thread but I will say hi every now and then xx

determined99 05-19-2015 08:10 AM

Choobie that is awesome and very inspiring!

Knb, howdy! Great to see you and hear you are doing well. You got this!

opalblue 05-19-2015 08:32 AM

Hi determined. Glad to see you are still here

sthlondonab 05-19-2015 09:41 AM

KNB!!! Yey. I am happy to see you. Glad you are back on SR and I was hoping sometime you would drop by my fellow Midlands friend.

You can do it. Build a plan - let's crack on!! Sometimes I think people just have to be at a time and space when they say "that's it, I am done" then you can start the recovery and all the good things it's going to bring. And it will bring good things KNB, I promise! Grab it with both hands and hold on x

sthlondonab 05-19-2015 09:43 AM

Choobie - that sounds great. Some good thinking, weigh up your options, build your plan, get your support and BOOM go for it. That's brilliant. I love how you say not drinking helps with decisions and thinking and I really feel that too.

Ultramarathoner 05-19-2015 10:59 AM

Hey all. Busy couple of days. Heading to Massachusetts in a few days for a vacation with my wife and a 15k Trail run.

Keep up the good work!

Grateful11 05-19-2015 11:03 AM

I had a death in the family on Sunday. I've been at the hospital at all hours of the night all weekend.

So incredibly grateful I was sober when I got the phone call. I was able to be fully present for my children during this sad, emotional time in their lives.

Knb great to see you!

I will check in later this week.

Hugs.

pinklinzangel 05-19-2015 12:35 PM

Hugs grateful my sweet, hope you're ok. Love how you're immediate thoughts were how lucky you were to be sober to be there for your children, you're such a wonderful mum. Thoughts to you at this sad time. Take care grateful, we are here xxx

Knb! Great to see you, glad you're doing ok! Keep posting hun! Hope life is treating you well, and great to hear you're feeling strong and Determind and ready to kick some Av Ass!

I have tapped into next doors wifi. Signal and speed is terrible, and I have tried to post this 4 times and lost it already, so I won't write much MORE!

Much love to you all xxx keep going folks, every days a win xxx