Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 18

Old 07-17-2015, 12:32 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Hey all

Ha ha, pink, I know it's so strange how sometimes time flies for some but not others. Monday for me seems five minutes ago! Almost the weekend though.

Ultra - that running sounds immense! Good luck to you. I am having a week off this week but I want to get another race booked in later this year.

Determined - enjoy your day off

Scooter - woo-hoo! 11 months. That's great. Well done you :-) TeamA power

I have a client event tonight but getting used to them sober now. No drama. Then looking forward to a relaxing weekend, kicking off with my usual AA meeting :-)
Old 07-17-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Happy Friday babies!! Yeah huh!!!

Well done scooter!! 11!! But these go to 11! Could not resist a spinal tap movie reference.

Went to my little ones school play thing last night. Was so awesome to be clear headed and full of energy. I noticed something though, I am more comfortable talking to other parents and meeting new people sober than I was as mr. Party man. Total shift, I listen, laugh, make better eye contact and feel so much more confident. It was not like this during the first nine months or so. Things shifted. I mentioned this because I hope that anyone reading this may find this encouraging. I never believed it when people would say things like this, but I find it to be true. Sharing because I am caring!

Gotta run, off to the gym and then for multiple tiny and fun adventures.

Great to hear from every one. Keep on running ultra man, get some rest pink! Woo them clients with your bad ass sober self London! Keep on with the attitude of gratitude scooter, grateful and Choobie! Kick the av square in the teeth this weekend rah and 1 step!

Rest of a team, big love and high fives! Hope you are well, check in and say hiya.

"People will forget what you said, and people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou

Unbroken.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Well done on 11 months, Scooter!! Wooooooohooooooo!
Old 07-17-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

It's finally Friday! Woooooooooohooooooooo!
What are you guys up to this weekend?
I'm doing a 22 mile walk around Rutland, and also going to see the baby ospreys which are ready to fledge the nest there, quite excited! They are quite the little celebrities in this region

Distant sad memories of drinks in the garden, must let these go! Easier said than done. More invitations of bbq's, and what drinks shall we get in for you, are we doing shots like last year, cocktails blah blah. I'm getting sick of repeating myself. I don't drink, remember? CUE QUESTIONS. ARGH!

Rant over 😊

Came home from work to water my plants, to find one bedding plant completely squashed. Grumpy, I walk over to the plant, to find a little kitten sitting behind the pot, covered in pollen and eating a leaf. Well, that solves the squashed plant mystery, bless the little things. I dusted kitty off, gave it some treats, seems happy. Have possibly now caused many future squashed plants! Never mind, kitty was happy.

Grateful for the little things in life today, like smiles, colleagues making cups of tea and passing me photocopies that were mine, other half mowing the lawn and chopping the veg, a blissful cool shower when home from work, eggs in Stock at the village shop - rare on a Friday! Simple things xx

Bug hugs, much love, no Sausages! Xxx
Old 07-18-2015, 12:00 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Hi all

It's Saturday, yey!

I am good this morning, ready for AA. Last nights client event was tough as it was live sport but all was good and eventually I relaxed and enjoyed it.

I get you pink, think of the parties etc as building sober muscles. The questions do get frustrating though. The other day I snapped and said to someone at work "quite frankly I don't see why I have to explain not drinking to YOU" lol, that shut them up. They had gone down the route of inappropriate questions about medical reasons etc so I put them back in their box!

Have a lovely day all :-)
Old 07-18-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Saturday, shaking it baby!

Ok, pink and London, boy I understand the reflection comment in the garden and the tough time at the sport event. We can be going so strong and, bang, there it is on our back again. The last time I went back to the beer it happened so damn quick I didn't even realize it. Didn't even consider reaching out to anyone. I am lately trying to pretend it is last August and finding that initial energy and resolve for this choice. I know it is the right path, but sometimes, frankly, it can seem a little lackluster.

The positives certainly surpass the negatives in this new journey. I do think now is the time to double up a bit and find our enthusiasm for our life affirming choice. Funny how triggers can jump up. Yesterday, my old favorite band that I listened to and really identified with, the libertines, released a new song. It sent me reeling!! Really did. It was like seeing an old girlfriend or something. Wanted it back for a few minutes, but then realized the bs of the allure, totally an illusion and a time bomb wrapped in regret.

Let's pause for a time out, breathe and reflect team. Hugs and strength. We got this, eye on the prize.

We are playing for keeps.

"If we don't know what port we are steering for, no wind is favorable." Seneca
Old 07-18-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  

I feel you, determined. Yesterday, my husband asked me to pick up a growler from the brewery right by work. The tap room was filled with people getting off work, the patio was filled with people looking relaxed and happy. Hungry and tired, it all looked so tempting. Of course most of those people had one or two, drove home and continued with their evening. I would have appeared to be relaxed and happy, but in reality just thinking about how fast I could drink my beer with the company I was keeping. Just thinking about more. The further away I get from misery, the easier it is to confuse abstinence with control.

Now that we've had time to stop drowning, take a deep breath, checked to see that we are all in one piece, and made some adjustments to freedom, we are in a far better place to take stock. Now we know how to stay afloat, but do we know how to dive deep? I know that I can live sober, but living as the real Choobie is a different level.

The family is coming over today for a picnic. My house has been ignored for a few months, and I've got about 2 hours to whip it into shape. Yikes!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Love to you all!
Old 07-18-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  

London, I think you're response was mild and kind, I worry that I will totally flip when the next person asks questions, and I might not be so diplomatic. What don't people get? Is it such an odd thing? Such an odd concept? I find it so bloody irritating. You handled it WELL!

Determind ' we are playing for keeps ' . Such a striking quote, resonated deep with me, thank you for this, so simple, so innocent, so true. Well done on handling it yesterday. Music is a powerful trigger for me, in a heartbeat it takes me back to a different time, a different pink, like travelling through a tunnel to the other side in a millisecond. Sweet home alabama does it for me everytime, and also radiohead. Funny isn't it? This is why the mixed tape I creating is so important. I will be putting sweet home alabama on it to change its trigger hopefully.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Choobie, love the stopping drowning analogy, it's a really good one, thank you for that. You're right, now we aren't drowning, it's about the new us. I'm getting to know the new me more and more as the days go by. Some good, some bad, some different. Well done on getting through yesterday with your husband x

Ultra, you gave a list a while back of people who nearly didn't succeed and then after perseverance went on to be very successful, lots of famous people, a long list. Could you post that again if you have it again? I want to print it and hang it in my study, to spur on determination in all walks of my life.

Watched a Stand up routine last night, and lots of alcohol based jokes came out. I felt like I must have been glowing in the dark, I was cringing so hard, it was awkward as my friends knew and it became the elephant in the room. We all laughed but I'm sure they looked at me to see my reaction. Maybe I'm paranoid. ..

Today I bought some suckerpunch on the TV, love this soundtrack.

Thanks for all the support guys. Need to push on through. Summer is hard!

Love you guys xx
Old 07-18-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Hi all, congratulations on 11months Scooter!

Day 27 is coming to a close, had a good wkend with my girls, hit a city AA meeting Friday before picking them up and its set me up well. Went to another meeting tonight after dropping them back at my ex's, things seem to be running a bit more amicably between us lately- hope it continues!

Going to an AA convention tomorrow so that'll be interesting, part of me is a bit ashamed of only having a small amount of sobriety time wise but I'm hoping I can just relax and go with the flow. Going with a good friend to a different city meeting tomorrow night so have a big recovery day planned!!!!

Hope everyone is having a great sober weekend, best wishes x
Old 07-18-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

1Step I think your are doing fabulously, and you have courage and strength to boot. Let us know how the convention goes, I'd be interested to hear about it. Well done on 27 days, and glad things are more amicable between you and your ex, good to hear x
Old 07-18-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Thanks Pink! And yeah I'll let you know how it goes, its a bit of a venture into the unknown but there's a gang of going from my way so I wont be alone!

So encouraging and inspiring to see you and others here doing so well in this class, keep on keeping on!
Old 07-19-2015, 12:46 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Hey guys

Hoping everyone is well. What fantastic thoughts you guys wrote about the summer and it being harder and taking a deep breath and taking stock. Choosier, your lines about wondering how fast you could drink resonated with me.

1step - sure the convention will be great. I am going to one in October which I am helping to arrange. I always think for me the most important people in an AA meeting are those new to sobriety so don't worry about sober time. You are doing great!

I am having my Sunday Starbucks then heading to the gym. I focussed flat out on cardio for the last few weeks so now time for some resistance work which is gonna hurt! Lol. I am thinking about signing up for another run in October in my home town.

Keep smiling everyone!
Old 07-19-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  

I think this is what you are referring to Pink:

Famous People Who Found Success Despite Failures | Get Busy Living

Great stuff on 11 months Scooter!

The Team seems very strong. Keep strong and relentless!
Old 07-19-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Thanks ultra!
London, don't push too hard or you'll be waddling to work tomorrow!
I had cake for breakfast at our local new tea shop, it was beautiful!
Now I'm building lego, listening to jazz and relaxing. Lovely Sunday chill!

Hugs x
Old 07-19-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Sober sleep Sunday, man does it feel great!

Choobie, the growler thing hit me from your comment. I always pick up cases of beer for my spouse, pack them up in our cooler for trips, etc. some days are easier than others... I do get really jealous sometimes and have to catch myself. Yesterday, the pool we go to closed early so they could set up for a big micro brew festival. Really?? It was all people were talking about. Got past it, but felt just like you did I am sure.

Pink, I like your idea of trying to include trigger songs and make new imprints on your association. I will do this, better to face it head on. I too have a connection with skynrd. Free bird brings me back as soon as I hear one note. Long story on that one. I will try your technique.

One step, you are doing great dude! This journey is not easy. If it were there certainly would not be conventions full of people fighting this!

This battle is like cancer, we should get our own little symbol and color for bumper stickers. I vote gold and red and the shape of an upside down broken bottle!

Thanks for the list ultra and keep on kicking it London!

Hope your doing well grateful and the rest of this fantastic team!

I caught little thoughts of rationalizing a few coming into my head. These are those ones where they say a relapse starts well before the drink. I was aware and dealt with it. Stay alert team.

Realized yesterday was 11 months for me. Feels great, but certainly does not mean I am cured. This is chronic and must be treated like a chronic illness. Daily and relentlessly.

"Extreme measures are very appropriate for extreme disease." Hippocrates

Play for keeps.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Determind, glad you're staying strong, you inspire me every day 😊 11 months is simply fabulous, I'm so damn proud of you, and for you, you totally own THIS xxx
Old 07-19-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Great stuff on 11 Months Determined!
Old 07-19-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Thank you!
Old 07-19-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Determined rocks 11 months! Wooooooohoooooo!