Class of August 2014 Part 18

Old 07-08-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

...that would be our "terms"...

Relentless Forward Progress!
Old 07-08-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Greetings,

Rah and 1Step, and any other members who are lurking but not posting - - Ultra's post says it all - we are a team committed to helping each other maintain sobriety.

Pink and Determined, I am totally addicted to chocolate and ice cream. At first I figured I would eat as much as I wanted to get through cravings. Then, when the weight started to go down, down, down in spite of the chocolate, I figured better sugar from chocolate than from alcohol. My one concession is that I buy dark chocolate covered salted caramels, dark chocolate covered coconut, dark chocolate covered raspberries, midnight Milky Ways......even dark chocolate mini Reese's peanut butter cups. For ice cream I usually get low or no fat or frozen yogurt. I feel that my sacrifice is staying away from full fat ice cream and milk chocolate.

London, I like your attitude....reminds me of Pink's - if there is nothing you can do about it, why worry and stress?

Rah, have you considered therapy to talk things through? It sounds like you have a few very traumatic events that you might benefit from discussing.

Let's keep on keeping on. #NoMoreSausages!
Old 07-08-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Ah Determind, love the quote my man, it is so true! Also, I love oreos! You did well to stop at 8! Tonight I have made a bowl of strawberries, cherries, crushed meringue, a few marshmallows topped with an apricot yoghurt. Hope it staves off the choc fix!

London, bless you in London today with no tube! I would imagine it's part chaos, part fun, part spooky, part irritating. I agree with Determind, take the opportunity to have a leisure walk home, people watch and enjoy. Hope its not raining! This will not faze you my friend!

Rah, you're getting there day by day, I'm so proud of you, keep, Going!

1 step, 30 days, totally freaking awesome! There is never shame in starting again. There is shame in giving up, and this you have not done. Stay in the saddle, stay close to here xx

Scooter i love dark chocolate! My biggest weakness! I am now on day 3 without chocolate. So far so good! Those salted caramel s sound fabulous, and the reeses, well it All does!

Another day muddled through in the harsh atmosphere of work. The atmosphere is as tiring as anything. I'm keeping my head down, keeping busy and powering through. Now going to chill and watch a bit of ripper street.

Hope you are all well and have had a nice day xx
Old 07-08-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome back guys, think there was some confusion with my last post, Im on the evening of day 17, I managed 3months sober until May 3rd but then caved and drank for 7weeks, so still early days but Im getting there.

Went to look after my girls before at my ex's whilst she went to dentist, and have just got back in now. Feel a bit flat tonight despite having a productive day, wanting the days and weeks to go by quickly so I can get back to that 3month mark but I know that's not the best way of living!

Spoken to my sponsor and am back in the rooms of AA, and posting here, I had a week from hell in that last week of sobriety and it was one bad day after another, no excuses but I felt like I couldn't handle the stress, and felt so worried I felt like I couldn't breathe, even went to a meeting that morning but by then I think my head had already made the decision to drink.

I need to learn from this and ride the wave of emotion if and when stressful things come my way again, because they do pass- sadly by the time they did pass I'd already picked up and was on the merry-go-round again.

Looking forward now though....
Old 07-08-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Sorry 1 step, I misread! 17 days nearly done, still pretty fantastic isn't it! I'm so glad you're back. Good days and bad days for all of us xx
Old 07-08-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Great to see you 1StepUp! Keep on keepin' on one day at a time my friend.

Still unpacking and getting settled from the move last week (while working three part-time jobs). Attitude of gratitude though, I am so grateful for my beautiful new apartment. I am starting to finally feel better about myself and my life. I love living life sober. Work is less stressful. My relationship with my daughter is wonderful. I am starting to look and feel healthier.

It's late here so I'm off to Bedfordshire. Will write more tomorrow. Hugs to all. #nosausages

Old 07-08-2015, 10:30 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Grateful that's a lovely positive post! Glad your new apartment is coming along, it sounds lovely. You will get there box by box! Wonderful to hear things are good with your daughter, life sounds pretty good that end! You deserve every smile, every moment, every memory xx
Old 07-08-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Hey all

Early start to beat the tube strike! Hoping everyone is doing well

Great to see you 1step, hoping things are going good and AA is helping you.

Grateful your new place sounds great. It's a lot of fun moving into a new spot and making it just the way you like :-)

Hope everyone else is doing good. Today I am going to attempt to travel across London for a train as I have meetings later outside of London. But no stress, no drama and plenty of lattes!

Have a good day all :-)
Old 07-09-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Happy Thursday! Grateful, loved your post. I could almost see the big smile on your face! I say you take your daughter out to celebrate.

Jump back on 1step. You can do this, keep on pushing forward man.

Pink, you have to keep being your cheerful self in your job, even though the mood is glum. Just have fun freaking people out.

London, I am picturing you whistling and skipping through town dude!

"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent. It is the ones most responsive to change." Charles Darwin.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, day 18 nearly done, good day, went to a really inspiring meeting tonight, and am intending on making changes to my life but first and foremost I'm working on staying sober.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Checking in! Day 5/ no blackout episodes in 19 days! Just got back from a work trip. Got to see my kids and granddaughter. Nice time. Hope you all are doing well!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Yes! We definitely support each other, unconditionally, in a sober life! RFP!

Glad to hear you are at day 18, 1 Step! Everyday spent sober is not a day wasted!

So glad things are looking up for you, Grateful! I think that when we are sober, the ups get higher and longer, and the downs more shallow than they were. Here's a shout to test the echo in your new apartment:

Hope you've made it home safely, London!

Pink, I agree with determined. There is nothing better that being upbeat and positive in the face of fear and negativity. If nothing else, it really, really ticks the drama-pouters off!

Scooter, hope things are good with you. What book are you reading for book club???

Now I'm trying to earn the time to work out, with the booked daily schedule. It took a lot of work to try to get ahead on homework to earn some family time, but I'm feeling the lack of activity. So now I'm going for all efficiency, all focus.

No sausages!
Old 07-10-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Happy Friday!!! Boy that feels good.

Heading to wife's parents for the weekend. Last time I was there it was early on this journey and being around awkward conversation and beer was really tough. I feel so much better now, so it will be cool.

Great post Choobie, exercise truly helps my friend, even if it only a half hour a day.

Work is absolutely brutal right now. Was scheduled to be off today, but need to go in. So be it, it is all good man. Good practice of being a positive, take action person.

Say howdy today kids! Tumble weeds up n here!!

"If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?" Rumi.

Perspective
Old 07-10-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Hey guys, loving the support for everyone and from everyone, such a good thing to be a part of!

Determind you will totally fly through this weekend with your sober muscles fully pumped. Enjoy your weekend away!

What does everyone else have planned for the weekend?

Mine is bits of house stuff, bits of downtime, no real plans. Might be a bit lazy too! But you know what I won't be doing? Staying up til 4am o the bottle and sleeping til 4pm tomorrow. No Sir! This is a whole different kind of lazy!

I want to put together a music compilation for my mp3 player to help me through tough times I may encounter. Times when I might not have the Internet, or the ability to pop on here for a ghost save. Times when I want to hear support, success, determination, and power surging through my ears and can't reach you guys. Songs to remember the starting point, the journey, and my destination, which we have done side by side together.

Please can you all give me a favourite song, or a pertinent or obvious song for you, and I will put this together for myself to listen to when I need you, or when I need reminding how damn great we are! I hope you don't mind, but I live through music a lot of the time, so for me, this seems a great Idea!

Team A compilation please!
Bring on the Tunes!

Love to all xxx
Old 07-10-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Hi Pink, love the music theme, songs I find inspirational that are about recovery are 1)Joe Walsh- One day at a time and 2) Kenny Chesney- that's why Im here. Other ones not directly about recovery are- Bruce Springsteen - Better days and First Aid Kit- My silver lining.

I'll think of more when I'm more awake, nearing midnight here and I have my girls staying over, so my weekend will be fun sober times spent with them. Going to local carnival and parade tomorrow so hoping for some good weather!

Hope everyone here has a great sober weekend.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Pink, I offer up "One Song, Glory" from the musical Rent. There are multiple versions.

A song about a dying musician desperate to write an epic song to serve as his legacy.

Meaningfull for me as it reminds me of the quest our Team is undertaking to write our stories- find our "Glory" if you will- alcohol free. The difference is that there is no desperation as we're no longer causing our souls to "die" through self sabatauge.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Pink, quick thoughts are 'not afraid' by eminem. 'Amazing' by Aerosmith. 'Life is beautiful' by sixx am. 'Underneath the bottle' Lou reed. A personal favorite is 'straight edge' by minor threat.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:18 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Determined - you got this, enjoy the weekend!

Pink - I also like Eminem's "I'm Not Afraid" and love Pink's "Sober" and Wilson Philip's "Hold On"

Choobie - Thanks for the shout for the new apartment. I don't know if it is also that my life is better but yes it feels like the highs last longer and any negatives just don't have the same dramatic effect on me. Life is really good sober.

Today I had a wonderful day. Spent the whole day at the Taste of Chicago with my daughter. We sampled so many different foods and drank a lot of sweet tea. It was a sunny, beautiful day in the Chi. Observed so many people drinking alcohol in the heat...looked so unappealing to me because I could imagine how dehydrated they are going to feel later tonight. Grateful to be sober.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:02 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Hey all

I keep losing posts! So quick check in. All is good, I will write a longer post on the way back from my Saturday AA which I am heading to now.

Love the song ideas! I will put my thinking cap on.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Hi again

I did my AA and it was a good meeting. London is warm and sunny. I am looking forward to watching the tennis today. Today is all about resting up and snacking on healthy carbs as tomorrow is my charity 10k. Looking forward to that too!

So the songs posted are great. I love the Wilson Philips one Grateful.

Throwing in a couple of camp suggestions for you Pink....

Mika - Grace Kelly - great song about being who you want to be
CeCe Peniston - Finally - classic camp 90's dance with a message about finding something...finally

I also like Aerosmiths "Amazing" as it great recovery song even though it gets done badly at karaoke and on X factor!

Swing out Sisters "breakout" from late 80's also has some cracking advice in the lyrics

Have a good day all