Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 46

Old 06-02-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Sass glad you're on the sober side and realizing what triggers you to drink.

GF I have a harder time now too doing house work

Well my womp week has begun. Off I go!
Old 06-02-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Thanks, BF! Staying sober has not been a straight line up for me but I feel I've learned much about alcoholism and myself. It's not perfect but I feel I'm moving forward and still learning about what sets me off. My plan is to keep alcohol off the table and care for my mental and emotional health.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Guess who's turning two!

After years of struggle with booze, winning some battles with it for some years, but losing many others over time, he came to the Undies willing to find a different way to live. He has shared his ups and downs here, and explained what he did to stay on the recovery beam, during everything from island paradise life to depressed isolation as the result of legal trouble. We've watched him face his demons, admit his faults and shortcomings, and share his joys with us, not just his daughter's wedding and subsequent delivery of his first granddaughter, but also the simple things he's come to enjoy in the humbler, softer, more gentle way of life he's learned to live in recovery. He teases us sometimes and cheers us on always.

Carlos I am so grateful to you for sharing your incredible enthusiasm for recovery on SR. You've come a long way from that person who was lying in the fetal position, wishing away his life. The peace of mind you told us you were developing in AA piqued my interest in learning more about the 12 step principles. They are changing my life today! Like it says in How It Works in AA, "if you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it - then you are ready to take certain steps." I was because of what you were sharing! Thank you for always reminding us not to get too attached to the outcomes, to seek humility and acceptance, and to keep our compasses pointed towards peace and serenity to live a life that's joyous, happy and free.

Thanks, on a personal level, for being a shoulder to lean on and a boot to kick my behind as needed throughout my sober journey. I'm grateful for your friendship and your patience as we've made our ways through our journeys, sometimes stumbling, sometimes on cruising full speed ahead, always learning.

Recovery is a group endeavor and I find that together we all can accomplish through the camaraderie on SR and in AA what seemed so impossible alone. Together we all will live strong and sober today!

Carlos - I hope you enjoy this wonderful sober day. Et vivis fortis modestusque hodie!!
Old 06-03-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Carlos!

Old 06-03-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Who?? Never heard of him...

Happy 2 and Congrats Carlos!

Old 06-03-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Carlos, WOW! Huge congrats on reaching 2 years!

Your journey is inspiring to me and helps to keep me on track.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Carlos congrats on 2 years!
Thanks for all of your inspiring posts and motivating me to stay sober when cravings have hit. It's so awesome to see how you've grown so much on this sober journey. Hope you have a great day.

Off to womp
Old 06-03-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Congrats Carlos!
Old 06-03-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Hello My Dear Undies,

Yes, it is true. It was two years ago on June 3rd that I was able to find my way to my therapist, then my first ever seriously taken AA meeting. These past 24 months have taken me on the most exciting journey of my life. One that has helped to open my heart, body and soul to recovery.

Along the way I have met so many amazing new friends. So many from this very thread on SR that I know will be a part of my life for many years to come.

It was at 6 months sober exactly at an AA meeting that I realized the possibilities that could exist if I remained willing to take any measure to change. I remember early on some old time AA'rs told me that I only had to change one thing...EVERYTHING. I remember how upset at that I was by that comment. How foolish I thought that was. Today, as I look back, I realize that I have done just that. I left that ego driven, self centered, self seeking, fearful person behind. Not far behind, but I keep running faster than he. I, simply put, am changing EVERYTHING about my actively addicted old self. It is a gradual process, with no end game.

I learned that it was possible to find true peace and serenity and live much of the time a joyous, happy and free life. The first letters of those words were made into a design by my closest friend in recovery and me while having dinner one evening. We had pendants made. We vowed to follow that quest. I had the design tattooed on my back and was told by a mentor in St Thomas during my time there that now recovery had my front via my pendant and back via my tatt.

That friend relapsed last summer and died this past February. She was a beautiful soul and I miss her dearly...especially today! In her honor I will work hard every day to live up to that pledge in my actions and deeds....and hopefully spread our message whenever possible.

I have been to over 600 aa meetings. While cutting back recently, I have spent countless hours on SR. Recovery is the most important aspect of the new life.

I was told to be sure to be sure to stay for the miracle to happen. I have had many. They say to stick around through the tough times because it gets better. For me it hasn't just been better, it has become great!

Thank you for the very sweet things that were said. I am humbled and grateful that I may have offered a nugget or two to assist. Haha, Glee, for sure we have developed a special bond that I treasure....and it has for sure been a two way street. One that I hope lasts a lifetime. I say this not only to you, but everyone...this is a WE journey, and anything I have offered has come back to me many fold. Yes, for me, I can't keep the most precious gift I have ever had unless I look every day to find ways to give it away.

My best to all of you as we continue on this journey together.

#undieforlife

Carlos xxoo
Old 06-03-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome job on 2 years Carlos
Old 06-03-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done Carlos - congratulations

D
Old 06-03-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Congratulations Carlos and proof once again to all Undies that as long as we keep chaining those sober days together we can reach milestones that once would have seemed unattainable.

I still have moments of pure disbelief that I have the sober time I do, sometimes all I did was get through that day sober.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Congrats to Carlos and all who are notching up months and years in their sobriety.

A question. I used to be a heavy smoker but have up over 15 years ago. Now I never feel like a cigarette or entertain the thought of having one... Can it ever be like that with alcohol or will AV ALWAYS be there?

Any ideas?
Old 06-04-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I'm in at 1/46th of a year. Not so sure about the 'undie' monicker but I suppose I've been called worse.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
Congrats to Carlos and all who are notching up months and years in their sobriety.

A question. I used to be a heavy smoker but have up over 15 years ago. Now I never feel like a cigarette or entertain the thought of having one... Can it ever be like that with alcohol or will AV ALWAYS be there?

Any ideas?
well it's like that for me amp

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
I'm in at 1/46th of a year. Not so sure about the 'undie' monicker but I suppose I've been called worse.
welcome anattaboy

D
Old 06-04-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Congratulations on Two Fabulous Years, Carlos!!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Hi, Anattaboy!

Amp, I've only got 18 months, but it is rare now that a fleeting thought of a drink crosses my mind. It comes and goes in an instant--I wouldn't even call it the AV, because I'm not actually tempted. I

I was surprised at how little time it took to change my lifestyle and attitude completely. Persevere with not drinking, and before too long, you'll be a definite non-drinker.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm sort of curious about the same thing as amp. This is now by far the longest amount of sobriety I've had since 2007, when I went 3 months, but that more due to the need to lose weight than the desire to get sober, so this feels a lot different. I was also in my very early 20s in 2007 and at 29 now, there's a stronger desire to end the blackouts and hangovers than when I was younger and it just seemed totally normal since my friends were all getting pretty hammered all the time too.

Anyway, I've been sober 105 of the last 106 days, but I still crave drinks when I get home from work or class (used to drink at least one worknight a week, usually 2 and sometimes 3), and every weekend I need to carefully plan now to stay sober.

I was never a cigarette smoker, but I've been a heavy pot smoker in the past and up until February of this year, I'd be smoking at least once a week, always while drunk. I haven't smoked pot since February and have had maybe one or two cravings since then to smoke. I guess I was never addicted to pot, but it's basically just not something I think about very much at all and when I've been around friends smoking, it's easy for me to say "no thanks." I would LOVE to get to the point where I'm like that with booze, but it just doesn't seem possible.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Just stay the course. It gets a lot better with time.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Hi undies.
I would def say overall at this point being a few weeks shy of a year it has gotten easier. There's still moments of cravings hitting but with the sober support I've built both here and in person I know that I have lots of options besides giving into to temptation.