Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 46

Old 05-29-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Good night, Amp.

I should get the MRI results on Tuesday or Wednesday, Sass.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Gilmer, I haven't followed exactly what's going on with your health, but I know MRIs are serious, so I'm hopeful that you get some relief when you hear the results.

I'm checking in. On day 38 in a row and 100 sober days in the last 101.

I'm currently at my parents' house and will be going to a wedding tonight for a childhood friend. There are going to be lots of people I just really don't want to see and I'm going to be feeling extraordinarily self concious about being single. I've already talked with my parents and I'll be driving my dad's car the 20 minutes to the wedding and driving myself back. I know when I originally got the invite, I thought how nice it would be to go to a wedding where my parents would be the DD and I could stay at their house, vastly cutting down on the cost of going while still being able to get wasted.

Well, now I have a good exit strategy and good excuse for not drinking . If I get pressed to have just 1, I'm going to say that living in NYC without a car, I'm so unaccustomed to driving that I'm too nervous to have just 1 and get behind the wheel. That won't even really be a lie.

I'm hoping to go and have an enjoyable time while catching up with people I haven't seen in years, but sort of expecting the worst. In the past, going in with a negative mindset has been a self fulfilling prophecy, so I'm trying to get my mindset to shift today. If things really are going downhill, I'll do a sober Irish Exit and just leave. I have plans to go to a ballgame next month with the friend getting married today and that'll be just us two since I'll be in the city where he lives for work. I doubt he'll notice if I bolt wary tonight.

Once I get through this wedding , I have ANOTHER coming up next weekend halfway across the country. No exit strategy there and with friends from college who know me as a drinker. I've seen most of the people going to that wedding in the last few months, so the awkwardness I'm fearing tonight won't be there. I've lost about 5-10 pounds recently and am getting ready to go for a long run now on my parents treadmill. For the wedding next weekend, I plan to say I'm not drinking cuz I'm on a strict diet. And as usually happens, I think once I order my club soda, people just simply won't notice I'm not boozing and if they do, they won't care.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!
Old 05-30-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Yes, it's a good weekend. My two sons who live four hours away have descended upon my house to see a Rush concert.

They are currently looking at the iphone of my youngest son (who is still sleeping) and searching for images of My Little Pony, which they will then make his background!
Old 05-30-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Wow!! Awesome that you have Rush playing a concert at your house Gilmer!!
Old 05-30-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Mets, I've apparently got problems with my neck. They showed up on an X-Ray, so they did an MRI to get to the bottom of it.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Mets hope you have fun at the wedding and good idea doing some planning ahead of time. Congrats on the weight loss!

Gilmer hope you get some answers from the MRI.

Off for another day of womping. Hope it flies by
Old 05-30-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Back from the wedding. Didn't drink a drop and wasn't even tempted to drink the glass of champagne that was sitting in front of every seat at the reception.

It certainly helped my will power knowing that I had to drive home. I'm terrified of a DUI and haven't gotten behind the wheel with more than two beers in me since I was in high school.

I wound up having a pretty decent time and just left when the dancing started.

Next weekend's wedding will be a lot harder, but now I'm two thirds of the way thru this stretch of 4 weekends with a bachelor party and two weddings. Next weekend's wedding will be very hard. For now, going to just worry about the week ahead though.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Great job mets! Sounds like you left at a good time. And yea DUIs are no fun!

Finally some much deserved womp free time! I dunno how I ever survived work for years while drinking everyday. I'm worn out from womp. Planning on taking my dog for a nice hike tomorrow some new trail opened along the cliffs above the beach and just hang around the house. Feeling grateful to be sober and enjoy the little things in day to day life. Sobriety is def the best decision I've ever made
Old 05-31-2015, 02:43 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Sounds wonderful, BF! Hope you and your dog have a really good time.

Mets, that's fantastic news. I'll bet you'll find after all these successes that next week won't be nearly as daunting as you anticipate.

I know you will have a good, carefully premeditated plan in place--all the more so because you know the situation will be tough.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Yeah, I feel very confident now that I can get through any situation and remain sober. I've been to a bachelor party, a wedding, several sporting events (my slip up was at a sporting event, but have had at least 4 or 5 sober), and several work happy hours.

My biggest concern is honestly just the will power. If I don't want to stay sober bad enough, I obviously won't stay sober. It's very nice knowing now that it's possible to get through anything without a drink as I think previously my AV would convince me some events just required boozing.

For next weekend, I do have a pretty solid sober plan and since I can see my diet/exercise routine paying off, I'll be very determined to avoid the liquid calories. I know I just need to stay very committed to remaining sober and use the diet as a tool, not my only line of defense. Cuz just like the AV convince me that drinking at just one wedding won't be the end of the world, my fat voice (or food voice) can convince me that I'll get right back on the weight loss kick come Monday.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

BF, you sound delightfully "even" I think I'd call it - it sounds like you are taking life in stride :-)

Mets, congrats on another good plan that worked. Way to go! I, too, have not driven after drinking - I am absolutely terrified of not only a DUI but even more about the possibility of causing an accident resulting in another person's injury or death. I don't think that I could live with myself if that happened.

As for me, I'm doing well! Starting to like my "new" life and gradually working through the kinks. It was a good move.

How are you doing, Gilmer?
Old 05-31-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Good!
Old 05-31-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,

I got a ton of stuff accomplished around the house this weekend, little projects that I've ignored over the past 15 months.

I had been a stay at home mother, and then worked intermittently, then part time. When I went back to work full time, I was still solely responsible for household chores. I was frustrated at the unequal distribution of responsibilities.

One of the gifts of quitting drinking has been to face how I really feel about situations. Turns out I was mighty resentful of the inequity in responsibilities.

I was also exhausted when I quit drinking. I had lost motivation for doing stuff that I'd rewarded myself with booze for doing - turns out that was pretty much everything.

My motivation has been gradually increasing over the past 6-8 months. I've begun to share the responsibility of doing household necessities, and over the past few months I've started working on organization and other household projects. It feels good. Above all else I'm incredibly grateful to feel motivated and to be productive.

It took time to get here. Nothing I did to speed up the healing process worked. It just took time, lots of practice being sober, lots of choices to do the next "right" thing for my mind, body and spirit, again and again. Sometimes it was easy, other times it was difficult, but I just keep doing it, over and over.

AA's been helpful. The big book and the step book offer good advice on how to handle a variety of situations. My sponsor offers guidance when asked. And members offer each other love and acceptance regardless of where their journeys take them. Meetings have a way of giving me exactly what I need, too, whether that's strength, inspiration, or the opportunity to be helpful.

Amp - I find that sober life keeps getting better and better and better - with practice.

BoozeFree - It looks like your sober life is going strong. Good for you!

Mets - You are doing a wonderful job of learning to take care of yourself. I live and socialize among drinkers, but I find I feel best when I'm actively pursuing sober activities in a sober life.

Saskia - I'm glad to hear you're hanging in there!

Gilmer - good luck with the test results.

Hi Drake, Toots, Carlos, and the other over undies who pop in!

I hope everyone enjoys a happy, sober week ahead!
Old 06-01-2015, 12:03 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Good morning from the UK. Xx
Old 06-01-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I hear you, Glee.

I always got a ton of housework done while drinking (at least the first couple glasses): it was like doing penance. By dutifully doing housework, I was able to rationalize to myself that my getting totally soused wasn't a bad thing!

Now I have been striving to be diligent without the booze. I'm still a work in progress, though.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Striving to be diligent about housework, lol
Old 06-01-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Yeah, what a farce!
Old 06-02-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

My guilty drinking thoughts were to ensure I was never late for anything, as if to prove alcohol didn't interfere with my life...that I was a functioning alcoholic.
Now I am often arriving places by the skin of my teeth because I was surfing SR!! Sometimes I think I allow myself to not do things like housework because I am now sober, almost as a reward, whether that is merely because I am inherently lazy...... Who knows!
It is very quiet here just now, how is everyone doing?

Petals, Vandermast, Metsman? Et al.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I'm hanging in there toots....also finding similar issues about getting to things on time. When I drank the night before work, I always made sure I got to work on time. Now that I'm sober and working out most mornings, I find that I procrastinate a lot and just read here, watch TV, etc when I get back from the gym and wind up struggling to leave my apartment at the proper time. I know that I don't smell of booze, so I dunno, I feel like it's OK, but it's a bit bizarre
Old 06-02-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Well, thankfully (some days!) I no longer have to go to work. I do miss it now and then though. I simply procrastinate all of the time now

On a more serious note, I'm happy to let you know that I'm solidly on the sober train again. It finally dawned on me that when my PTSD gets triggered is my really, really difficult time to stay sober. All rational thought simply goes out the window. Thankfully that doesn't happen often now and I am working on strategies to handle future episodes.