Notices

On My Way #2

Old 10-22-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Maybe try some boiled chicken and rice for a few days till she is 100%?? Or maybe it was just a little doggie flu. Glad she seems better!!
Old 10-22-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Della, thanks for your suggestion. That's EXCACTLY what we did and she's been fine since some time in the middle of Tuesday night. She's now better and back to her exuberant puppy self.

Tonight

I'll be visiting my pillow soon with plans to get to the gym tomorrow morning. In the late afternoon we're going to be going to visit my son at his university's Family Weekend. I'm going to bring some running stuff; I doubt I'll be doing any exercising, but want to have some gear just in case an opportunity presents itself.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

It was a rough start to the day; I had a crappy sleep and had an overall feeling of mental fogginess and aches when I woke up. I had no appetite, but forced myself to eat breakfast and not too soon afterward I started to move toward normality, albeit still tired.

None of that stopped me from lifting weights at the gym mid morning and I had a surprisingly good workout, but shorter than normal. As I wrote yesterday I'll be prepared to go for a run this weekend while away, but I doubt it's going to happen.

I'm not sure what we'll be doing for most of the weekend; I'll let my son call the shots. We know some other families that have kids at the university and, if the past is any guide, we'll likely see them at some point. Last year we all met to tailgate and then watched the football game together.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

A brief catch up post. All is well.

The weekend was spent doing a lot of walking, eating, and enjoying the beautiful campus and surrounding area that my son's university is located. My drink of choice was water while walking and club soda when at a restaurant.

Although there was no strenuous exercise during the weekend we walked/strolled over 6 miles both days. This morning was quite a bit different since I had a training session and by the end of it I could barely move my arms. I've also walked the puppy a few times.

Plans for tonight are to go easy and reheat leftover smoked chicken and serve a salad on the side. After that I'm sure there will be some Monday Night Football involved, but I also want to get some good sleep tonight because I plan on watching all, or at least most, of tomorrow night's World Series game.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Sounds like you enjoyed a nice weekend, GC.

I'm looking forward to the World Series, too.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Sounds like you enjoyed a nice weekend, GC.
I truly did. The kids get along and we enjoy spending time with them. The weather was cooperative and it was nice spending a lot of the day outside enjoying the scenery, walking off our previous meal, and preparing for the next one. LOL!

We didn't partake in anything that the university set up for parents, but on Saturday we did spend a lot of time on campus as well as the part of town that's near it. Yesterday after brunch we spent a few hours at a nearby state park before returning back to the school, walking some more, and then going to dinner.

I know you were rooting for the Cubbies, but who are you rooting for now?
Old 10-26-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

I don't really have a favorite; I'd like to see some really great playing.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

I don't really have a favorite; I'd like to see some really great playing.
I can understand that. I'm sure you know which team I'm hoping wins. :wink
Old 10-26-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Sure do!!!!!
Old 10-26-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Sure do!!!!!
All answers in life should be so easy for you. :-)

I gave fleeting thought to see one of the games live, but ticket prices on the secondary market for Citi Field are sky high so I will be watching all the games on television. Again, an easy decision. During some of the Yankee playoff and WS games I was fortunate enough to know someone who had season tickets and he was willing to sell them at face value so I went to some of those. Not a cheap night by any means, but nothing compared to what even the worst seat at Citi is going for right now.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

I've never been to a World Series game; it must be very, very exciting.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

I've never been to a World Series game; it must be very, very exciting.
It's uber exciting, but there is no way I can justify spending the money for even what even the least expensive (can't write cheapest) seat would cost which is close to $600 for a standing room area that is possibly in the parking lot. Only kidding as it's somewhere in the stadium, but it's got to be far, far away from home plate and I'd have to STAND. My recliner in my den sounds mighty fine to me regarding comfort, ease of accessibility, and costs and that's where I'll be with a seltzer near by. :-)
Old 10-26-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Not to mention probably a better view from that recliner!!!!
Old 10-26-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Smile

Not to mention probably a better view from that recliner!!!!
Absolutely!

For years I had a minor share of season tickets at Yankee Stadium (old and new) three rows from the field down the right field line. Even those didn't get me as close to the pitcher/batter interaction as anyone saw on tv, but I could live with that because of the in game experience and I was able to get some great shots of players. Once, a long time ago (sounds like the beginning of a fairy tale) I sat something like five rows behind home plate and that was better than tv, but those tickets weren't on my dime and likely I'll never experience that again. A win-win that night I guess.

I'll stop here with details, but this conversation has spurred some memories which have made me realize that I've been to some very memorable sporting events. Don't worry, as I wrote the beginning of the paragraph I'll stop.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Another fine fall weather day and I took advantage of it by walking my puppy for about six miles in total during the course of a couple of walks and going on a solo three mile run. In addition I did a 1.5 mile round trip walk this morning when meeting a friend for breakfast.

My plan for tonight is to plant my butt in the recliner that was mentioned yesterday and watch the first game of the World Series. My wife has no inherent interest so I'll be watching it alone most likely. I can write with a high degree of surety that I can say ditto for tomorrow evening.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

That's a nice chunk of exercise, GC. Sounds like your pup is feeling well, too.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

That's a nice chunk of exercise, GC. Sounds like your pup is feeling well, too.
The pup has been fine for almost week. We were concerned about having to board her when we went away for the weekend, but she was fine for almost three days before I dropped her off so we felt confident that whatever went on was in the past and she would not present a health risk to any of the other dogs. Social responsibility and all that; I wrote that lightly but firmly believe in it.

As for the walking, the miles are good, but I really want to start running again. Not training for another marathon, which I do hope to do at some point, but to just run a few miles and build from there. I know I can bang out a few miles and will likely do so on Thursday, but the past couple of months have really seen a very precipitous drop in my ability to do any endurance training and I really hope that my continuing asthma issues along with the pneumonia I had in the Spring are not going to permanently affect me.

You're quite a fan of the game. Did you ever play?
Old 10-27-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

I only played for fun and in PhysEd but I really enjoy it.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Your experience is a prime example of why I believe that the huge emphasis on testing to the detriment of Phys. Ed, Arts, and Music because the latter group are not necessarily quantifiable is wrong. You were exposed to something and you now have a life time interest. That's great. I'm not implying that classroom time with STEM and other academic subjects is not important, because I believe it is, just that there are benefits to giving kids the opportunity to be introduced to other disciplines that they may resonate with is also important.

I'll step off my soap box before I get into a lather.

Tonight

Tonight's plans have slightly changed, but only in regard to dinner. Wifey went out for a big lunch so she is just go to have something light when she gets back from the gym. The result is that the beef and ginger stir fry that I was planning to cook is going to be pushed back until tomorrow and I'm going to make linguini and white clam sauce for myself. And then sit in the recliner with a club soda watching the WS game. :-)
Old 10-27-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

I hear you, GC. Enrichment is so important.

Enjoy Game 1.