Notices

On My Way #2

Old 10-07-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

I'm starting to feel relatively human so I'm going to take a shower and go for a walk with the puppy. It's a nice day outside and I've been inside all day, mainly under my covers. If that's what I needed, then I'm willing to make that tradeoff, but I believe a simple walk will be good for both me and the pup.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Enjoy the walk, GC.

Hot showers tend to help me when I am congested.

Feel better, friend.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Thanks SL. Feeling better is the point and when I was talking with my son a few hours ago, I told him I'm doing exactly what I told you to do when you were younger and not feeling well.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  
Administrator

get well soon GC

D
Old 10-07-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
get well soon GC

D
Thanks Dee. Dinner is over, I'm going to hang out with my wife while we walk the puppy, and I'll be visiting my pillow around 9:30 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Even when I was drinking I always felt that the best stress reducer for me was exercise and it was something that I tried to do everyday. Due to sickness, today is day three of being sedentary with the exception of walking the dog, and I had a very stressful morning that fortunately was resolved with positive results. I'm happy to write that I was calm throughout the 2.5 hour process and I've been able to stay relaxed despite not having a physical outlet.

I'm following my plan to stay more hydrated than normal and, like the past two nights, I intend to go to sleep early. For many reasons I really want this cold to be a thing of the past.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Glad that you were calm through stress; that is something I still struggle with.

Is your cold any better? Are you managing to keep it out of your lungs?
Old 10-08-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Glad that you were calm through stress; that is something I still struggle with.
For the most part I've always handled stress well and while I'm sure part of that is in my DNA I'm equally sure that some of it has to do with finding relief outlets. For me, as I wrote above, it's always been exercising. As much as I drank, it was never due to things not going right in my life; in fact if I had to venture a guess it would be that I drank more when things were going well. Weird, I'm sure.

Is your cold any better? Are you managing to keep it out of your lungs?
Thanks for asking. If I were to have answered two hours ago I would have written that I'm pretty much the same, but of late I'm feeling much better which really means less bad. That's a good thing and maybe I've turned the corner. I'll spare everyone the gory details, but I don't think it's in my lungs. Of course, when I ran my last race earlier this year I didn't know I had pneumonia so what do I know? Even if I continue to feel "okay" I'm sticking with my plan to go to bed early tonight.

ABIL Update

He goes to jail tomorrow. As he should be, he's nervous, and there's added stress to the whole family. Hopefully the ordeal goes smoothly and this can be a turning point in his life and he fully realizes how bad things have gotten. He's a smart guy so on some level he must understand, but......
Old 10-08-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

I hope that this is a turning point for your BIL. I am sorry for the added family stress.

Hope 'less bad' turns to 'much better' soon.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

I hope that this is a turning point for your BIL. I am sorry for the added family stress.
He's very fortunate that he has a lot of people in his corner and everyone hopes the same as what your wrote in your first sentence.

Yeah, the family stress isn't good for anyone and as I've written before I feel mostly for my inlaws. They are at a place in their lives where they should be able to fully enjoy their many years of hard work and sacrifice and while they have much joy from their other children and their respective spouses, and grandchildren much of that is overshadowed by my BIL's actions. It wasn't always that way, but the descent has accelerated the past 5-6 years.

Hope 'less bad' turns to 'much better' soon.
Thanks. I'm doing what I can to make that happen.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Still dealing with my cold, but I believe the worst is behind me. Still, I'm concerned about residual effects when I'm running the marathon next Saturday, but worrying isn't going to change anything so given my lack of proper training and how I'm presently feeling I'm preparing myself to have to really dig deep to get to the finish line and I've also thrown all previous expectations of my finishing time out the window. All I want to do is finish the darn thing.

This weekend is going to be a very social one and I'm committed to not having any alcohol. I guess I don't really have to write that, but for some reason it helps at the margin. The lineup is tonight we're going out for dinner, tomorrow I'm running ten miles in the morning and then we're hosting the dinner party I previously mentioned, and we're also going out to dinner on Sunday night. All three social things will be fun and I'm looking forward to spending the time with all of the friends we'll be interacting with, but I would prefer that there was more spacing. Unfortunately, given everyone's schedule, if each of these gathering didn't happen this weekend it would be over a month before any of them could be rescheduled. Clearly, there are worse problems to have.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Posting again to increase my resolve for tonight. Damn, I wish I didn't have to do this and I know one day I will reach the point where I don't have to think about not drinking, but while I'm closer I'm not there yet. I know it can be done because many have done it before me and I reached that state a long time ago with cigarettes. Yes, cigarettes, an odd thing for someone with asthma and is an athlete to be involved with. I smoked, sometimes a pack a day, for about 8 years, stopping in my early 20's. Last one to touch my lips was almost 34 years ago.

A promise to myself and SR: I have two objectives tonight; in no particular order one is to enjoy myself and the second is to be sober. As I've written before, consider it done!
Old 10-09-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

It took me a while, GC, before I attended dinner functions without feeling a little 'out of sync' with the other diners. I was a little 'hyper-sensitive' to the sight and sound of the wine being poured into the stems, etc.

That's no longer the case; the wine and cocktails are pretty much the same as the flowers or candles on the table.

I am confident that you will reach that point, too.

Have a nice time with your friends.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful weekend!
Old 10-09-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Della and SL, thanks for stopping by to lend support and guidance. I wish you both an enjoyable weekend.

I know I can be unconventional, which doesn't necessarily make it easier on myself, but from the start of this journey I've made it a point to not shy away from social engagements, be they in my home or somewhere else. It's me that has to change and to date I haven't had any major issues. So while I will think of not drinking tonight, it's not going to be a major issue. Ironically, we were asked to bring a bottle of wine to our friends' house. I'm fine with that; I'm just not going to have any. It also helps that it's been a very rare occurrence, and never with this group of friends, that I've gotten peer pressure to have alcohol. More to the point I've rarely been questioned when I say I'm having a club soda.

So all is good. I'm going to go, have a good time, be sober, and wake up in fine fashion to do my final training run tomorrow AM before getting ready for our dinner guests.

Once again, Della and SL thanks for stopping by and I wish you both an enjoyable weekend.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Last night was a lot of fun and during a conversation with one of the guests who I didn't know that well I found out that he is an avid amateur photographer. After talking about geeky photography stuff, which I love doing, he asked me to join his small photography club. I think I will.

As for SR related stuff, it was a breeze, but unfortunately I woke up this morning with somewhat of a relapse of my cold and with asthma issues. In other words, my training run never happened. I'm feeling better now, but it was discouraging. My plan is to try and squeeze the run in tomorrow. I also gave thought to cancelling my dinner party tonight, but I'm going forward with it.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

A photography club sounds like a nice new activity, GC.

I am sorry to hear about the relapse of your cold and that you weren't able to get your training run in. Hope tomorrow is a much better day.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Thanks SL. Just as I've benefited by being in a book club I think being in this photography club will be a very positive experience. It's been a hobby of mine for 40 years and I know I'm accomplished on an amateur level so it's going to be nice to interact with people who share my passion and can help me elevate my game. Family members and friends always want me to share my pictures, and I do so both via the web and hard copy because I have a dedicated photo printer, but when I start talking about some of the more technical stuff everyone's eyes glaze over so it will be nice to spend some time people who are like minded about the hobby and I hope to broaden my skill set and help them do the same.

Yeah, the not being able to run thing is a bummer and definitely problematic. My wife is already telling me I should consider not running the marathon. There's some validity to her position, but I'm not giving up yet.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

'Twas a fun evening last night. From an SR perspective it was an easy sober time.

I'm not sure what's going on with my cold, but I've relapsed a bit. Hopefully I'm in the clearing out my lungs stage which means I'll be much better soon, but I do know that the short term implication is that I'm not running today. A walk maybe, but that's it. With only six days until my marathon I'm increasingly concerned that it's going to be a less than enjoyable experience and as I wrote yesterday my wife is continuing to opine that I should pull out. I may, but will defer any decision for at least a couple of days.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Very glad to hear that your lungs are in the process of clearing, GC.

It's a gorgeous day for walk; I have one on tap, too.