Blogs

Notices

On My Way #2

Old 11-06-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
With all that exercise, I doubt that you will gain an ounce, GC.
That would be a very pleasant surprise. I'm not concerned about the calories because I can somewhat control that with wise food choices and good portion control. It's the sodium that many restaurants use that gets me; I must be a little sensitive because in short order I can feel the bloat coming on, most noticeably in my hands. Fortunately, once I return to normal eating with increased hydration the effects dissipate.

Enjoy your day!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gonnachange For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (11-06-2015), SoberLeigh (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

The dissonance of it being so warm yet having all the leaves coming off trees and knowing what the calendar is reading is really something. And, of course, the clock change is helping. I was in shorts today while outside; that's insane, but I'm not complaining after some of the recent Novembers we've had. One big positive is that it's not warm enough for air conditioning and far too warm for my heat to turn on so my utility bills are going to be unexpectedly low.

As I wrote yesterday we're on the cusp of three consecutive restaurant dinners and the festivities start with a trip to a local Indian establishment so I expect to have some sodium bloat tomorrow. When I wrote earlier today that I "must be a little sensitive" I was understating the fact. I'm more than a little, to the point where when I was a beginning marathoner I ran a couple of races where I drank so much of the offered energy drink that I couldn't close my hands at the end of the race. A teaching moment for sure and one that has not been repeated in a long time.

I'm not sure what's happening after dinner; if I have my druthers we'll come home for the night and if my daughter wants to go out then she can meet her friends. As an aside I feel for her because she's very social and before college had a large group of friends of different stripes (athletes, scholars, partiers, etc.) and most have found jobs that are not in the area so for the first time in her life she doesn't have a lot of local social options.

Whatever we do after dinner I'm not planning on a late night because I want to run tomorrow morning before life gets in the way. To be truthful, I went to bed later than I anticipated last night and wasn't too happy when the puppy decided that her day needed to start at 5:45. Unfortunately, that's about the norm , but I still made it to the gym a couple of hours later.

Okay, enough rambling.
Dee74 (11-07-2015), SoberLeigh (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

The salt in restaurant food really bothers me, too. I rarely add salt to a recipe so when I get a good dose of it, I know it.

Have a great weekend, GC.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoberLeigh For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (11-07-2015), Gonnachange (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

The salt in restaurant food really bothers me, too. I rarely add salt to a recipe so when I get a good dose of it, I know it.

Have a great weekend, GC.
Sound like we're in the same boat.

Thanks about the weekend; enjoy yours also.
Dee74 (11-07-2015), SoberLeigh (11-06-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

The sodium bloat was both visible and felt within a very short time of us leaving the restaurant last night. My plan, as always in this circumstance, is to make sure I have some extra hydration. So far so good.

I got a short run done this morning and am taking care what needs tending to around the property so there's some functional exercise involved. Tonight we're meeting friends at a gastro pub, which I guess is the nomenclature for an upscale bar.

Enjoy the day SR!
Dee74 (11-07-2015), SoberLeigh (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

My reactions to sodium are fairly immediate also, GC. My rings feel tight very soon after the meal.

Have a nice day; enjoy the gastro pub.
Dee74 (11-07-2015), Gonnachange (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

SL, that's my first indication also.

Thanks about tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gonnachange For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

I remember coming home one night and having to soak my hands in ice water. My rings were so tight that it was painful. I had visions of going to the ER to have them cut off.
Dee74 (11-07-2015), Gonnachange (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

I remember coming home one night and having to soak my hands in ice water. My rings were so tight that it was painful. I had visions of going to the ER to have them cut off.
Ouch! I've never experienced that. The extent of what often happens is that I can't twirl my wedding ring, which I normally can do. The worst situations that I can remember, which I wrote about without detail yesterday, were at my first spring marathon, the NJ Marathon, and the following fall in Burlington VT. Both were brutally hot which caused dozens of people to be sent to the hospital with heat strokes and cardiac arrests and I drank too much of whatever sports drink was offered while on the course. Toward the end of 26.2 miles everything is hurting, but once I crossed the finish line my attention turned from completing the race to how bad my hands were and when I took off my sneakers I couldn't see my ankle bones. During the Burlington race I was more aware, but still misjudged. You can be sure I've never made that mistake again. Yeah, experience counts.
Dee74 (11-07-2015), SoberLeigh (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

. . . and, in all honesty, the alcohol I drank that night probably didn't help the situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to SoberLeigh For This Useful Post:
Gonnachange (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

. . . and, in all honesty, the alcohol I drank that night probably didn't help the situation.
I'm sure that didn't help the situation.

Last Night

Either my definition of a gastro pub is wrong or the place we went to over sold itself. It's very likely I'm in the wrong, but the place we met our friends at was not what I envisioned. Don't get me wrong, the food wasn't bad by any means and clearly a step up from pub fare of a greasy burger on a lousy roll, but essentially it was a fun and loud town pub with slightly better than average food. All of that is just a very minor rant because the most important thing is that we had a very good time with our friends last night, which was the point of getting together.

Getting back to the now long running sodium theme, last night's dinners were loaded with it and I am even more bloated today than I was after Friday's dinner. That's going to be compounded this afternoon when we are out to lunch with my sister and cousins. I didn't do a good job hydrating last night because we had a long drive home, but I'm going to be pounding water today since the restaurant is only about 15 minutes from my house.
Dee74 (11-08-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

All I can write about yesterday was that I had another restaurant meal and while I used good portion control and made a good choice I'm feeling even more bloated today than I was yesterday. And that's despite being much better yesterday and today than on Saturday with regard to hydrating. Food and bloat aside, we have a very good time with my relatives; my sister we'll see in a couple of weeks. We won't see my cousins until the end of February because they're going to their Florida house in a few weeks, which coincidentally is close to where we'll be.

Tonight sees us return to our normal routine and I'll be making a light-ish dinner, watch some Monday Night Football, and hit the hay at a reasonable hour.
Dee74 (11-11-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the time with your relatives, GC!!!!
Dee74 (11-11-2015), Gonnachange (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the time with your relatives, GC!!!!
Thanks SL.

So Far

Last night went as planned and I was in bed at 10 which is uber early for me. This morning I was up early and after breakfast found myself at the gym where I had a solid workout. Always a good way to start the day.

I'm looking at another quiet evening at home tonight. I doubt I'll be in bed as early as last night, but hope to not be up too much later.

Have a good day SR!
Old 11-10-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Have a good day, GC!!!!!!
Dee74 (11-11-2015), Gonnachange (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Have a good day, GC!!!!!!
Thanks SL and the same to you.

So far it's been a day with a lot of errands, some in preparation for us going away this weekend. More on that later in the week and now that I'm done with my outdoor stuff I probably won't leave the house for the rest of the day with the exception of dog walks.
Dee74 (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

I was looking for an appropriate place on SR to post this, but couldn't find it so I'll just post my sentiments here even though they won't get as wide an audience.

Be you a dove or a hawk, please do not read any political bias into the following.

Thank You

In the United States today is Veterans Day and just as I have via phone calls, Facebook messages, emails, etc. I want to reach out here to thank all members of the armed forces that have kept me, my family, and friends safe. Thank you for your service and bravery and thank you to your respective families for having to endure hardships and in some cases the ultimate sacrifice.

My father served in the Korean War and when I was a young child I could not quite grasp why my grandparents treated the date he came home as a family holiday. I knew they were happy because they got to see him again, but my sense of war was very skewed. Being 5 or 6 and watching John Wayne films will do that. It was only when I became older that I appreciated what my grandparents felt and I think they handled it far better than I would have. Furthermore, as a young child I would sometimes ask my father about how many people he killed as a soldier and probably other questions that made perfect sense to a youngster with a sanitized version of battle. Every single time his response was the same, "I'd prefer not to talk about it." Now I understand; then I did not.

Fortunately he came home uninjured with I'm sure the exception of some emotional scars and in not too much time got his PhD from an Ivy League school and began a career during which he became a nationally known expert. I never asked and he never answered those questions I had as a child, but as an older man he pinned up a map of Korea that showed where he was stationed and fought so I know those memories from almost six decades ago still were with him. He's gone now, but I have his dog tags, the winter jacket he wore while in combat, and a blanket that he was issued. My intent is to give them to my kids so that they never forget.

On A Lighter Note

I went out for a 3 mile run this afternoon and my breathing was relatively good. Tonight I'm making a chicken stir fry with some brown rice and my after dinner plans are to hang with my wife and go to sleep at a reasonable hour so I'm well rested for my training session at the gym tomorrow.

Thanks for reading SR.
Dee74 (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Wonderful and touching post, GC.

We owe our Veterans and those currently in active duty more than words can express.
Dee74 (11-11-2015), Gonnachange (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Wonderful and touching post, GC.

We owe our Veterans and those currently in active duty more than words can express.
Thanks SL. Us civilians are very fortunate.
Dee74 (11-11-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a weekend full of parties. We have a wedding tomorrow afternoon and the hosts have rented out a hotel suite with an open bar that starts at 11 AM. After the wedding there is also an informal gathering planned at the hotel by some people we know so given that the ceremony doesn't start until 4 and the formal cocktail hour about a hour later, if someone chooses it can be a 12 hour drink-fest. Something tells me at least one person is going to make bad choices. For the record, that person will not be me or my wife.

After we check out on Saturday one of the guests has invited us to her house for lunch, dinner, and also brunch on Sunday. I think they'll be six of us total and the alcohol will be flowing freely for most of them. Once again, no matter what choices others make I will not be the one making poor ones.

We'll probably get home mid to late afternoon on Sunday and if I'm really motivated I'll go for a run. More likely I'll watch some football and look forward to a quiet evening at home and sleeping in my own bed.

My plans for tonight is to grill some salmon with a side dish of a garden salad. I'm sure there will be Thursday Night Football involved, but since I plan on being in bed at a decent hour I probably won't watch more than the first half.
SoberLeigh (11-12-2015)