Notices

On My Way #2

Old 07-19-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

There you are!!!!

It is heating up here, too, with the humidity building. We caught a break with a cooler than normal Summer so far - fun's over. Time to head to the beach for ocean breezes.

Enjoy the festival. I feel sorry for the cloggers if they are performing today.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
There you are!!!!

It is heating up here, too, with the humidity building. We caught a break with a cooler than normal Summer so far - fun's over. Time to head to the beach for ocean breezes.

Enjoy the festival. I feel sorry for the cloggers if they are performing today.
Yeah, it's going to be a hot week and whatever I'm experiencing you're likely going to see temps a few degrees hotter based on comparisons I've made with my son when he's at school.

The festival should be fun, but I'm anticipating some uncomfortable conditions. We're getting there late-ish so I'm sure all of the shady areas will be taken and like you I'm feeling for the kids who will be in the dance competitions. For the girls, the dresses are heavy and I'm sure the wigs they wear are going to also be very uncomfortable. To mitigate the uncomfortableness, the girls wear light shorts and shirts and only put on the heavy stuff right before they have to compete. Still, I don't envy them. One of my nieces used to dance when she was younger and that's what she did; my daughter usually entered the singing competition and she could wear weather appropriate clothes since the singers are not judged on their attire. Proof in the pudding is that she never placed lower than second even when she was competing against adults as a teenager. (Proud parent moment).

I think we're going to play the whole thing by ear. If anyone gets too uncomfortable we'll just leave. We'll be with my 84 year old FIL and temps like that in the open sun can be dangerous for anyone; there's no reason for us to expose ourselves to any risk. After all, it's supposed to be a fun day and if that means packing up early and going back to someone's air conditioned house to spend time together nobody's going to hear me complaining. :-) We'll also have the puppy with us and I have no idea how she'll deal with the conditions.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

So I don't post for a week and now it's three in one day. Can anyone say compensation?

We fortunately found a shady place to hang out and watch the festivities, so while a little uncomfortable we were spared the worst of what Mother Nature was throwing at us. I stuck with my water plan which was pretty easy, but to be honest did give a few moments thought to having an ice cold beer. Nothing that even came close to an internal struggle, but it was there so I need to write about it. What stopped me? A couple of things come to mind.

Firstly, it was the knowledge that having a beer would not quench my thirst and make me more comfortable than a bottle of water. Secondly, I knew if I had one I'd have to come here and write about it. Again, it was no big deal, but if I'm going to write here about my experience earlier today I need to include that.

All is good; going to chill with the family for a while and then hit the hay because I have a brutal training session at my gym tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Ran a few miles this morning, had breakfast with a friend, bought a new washing machine, spent time with the puppy as well as my son when he came home for a couple of hours before going to work, and am coming to the end of a low and slow cook of pulled pork for dinner tonight. Unfortunately, I'll be dining alone because my wife's book club meeting got switched to tonight.

Plan for the night is to read and be in bed early so I can get a good night's sleep before what will hopefully be an early morning weight lifting session.

All in all a good day with the exception of having to buy a washing machine.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Funny: all I can see is 'puppy' and I can't focus on the rest of your writing! My mind just goes straight to Aaawwwh, puppy.....

Congratulations on the new family member; delighted for you. Will she grow big enough to accompany you on your runs?
Old 07-22-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calitano View Post
Funny: all I can see is 'puppy' and I can't focus on the rest of your writing! My mind just goes straight to Aaawwwh, puppy.....

Congratulations on the new family member; delighted for you. Will she grow big enough to accompany you on your runs?
Thanks about the puppy and yes she'll be able to do runs of a to be determined distance with me. My running pace will be nothing more than a fast walk for her. LOL! I'll probably take her on some short runs, but when I start having to do long training runs I'm going to go alone.

Was a quiet evening at home last night, but I didn't get to the gym as early as I anticipated due to a scheduling issue with my son. I'll be there in about 30 minutes so all is good.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Good to see you posting, GC, and to hear that things are going well.

Not feeling too well today so signing off.

Be back soon.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Good to see you posting, GC, and to hear that things are going well.

Not feeling too well today so signing off.

Be back soon.
Sorry to read that you're not feeling well. Get better soon!

This Morning

I owned the weights this morning; too bad all workouts can't be that good. I also took the puppy on a couple of walks and with more to come I'll be getting a decent amount of activity for the day.

There's some family stress today because my ABIL is going to court for a DUI he received. Legally it's his second in the past three or four years, but it's really his third. The non reported one was because the officer who stopped him is a lifelong friend of my other BIL and knows the family so he gave my ABIL a lecture and called his brother to take him home. Given ABIL's subsequent behavior nobody in the family is convinced that was the right way to play it. Fortunately he's never hurt anyone or himself, but if this behavior continues, and there's no indication it won't, he will eventually.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Since I mentioned it on Wednesday, I thought it was only fair to write an update about my ABIL's court appearance. He got a second postponement until the middle of September, essentially two months. I have no idea what his attorney said to have the judge grant this; I believe the strategy is to have my BIL demonstrate to the court that he has been able to hold down a job and did not have any additional legal issues.

Not much to write about concerning me, which isn't a bad thing.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

I ran 5 hilly miles this morning. I'm behind we're I would normally be in my training, but I'll get there.

Before the run I walked the puppy for about 45 minutes and after she had her breakfast again for about 20. Afterward we did our first walk to the post office, about 1.5 miles round trip. I'm going to sit and read for a while she still has that puppy energy. Clearly she has youth and four legs on her side. I counter that with old age and two legs. :-)

No social plans tonight so there should not be any external siren calls for alcohol; any that come my way will be internally generated and I'm prepared to deal with them if they arrive.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like a nice restful weekend GC

D
Old 07-25-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
sounds like a nice restful weekend GC

D
It's 11 PM my time and I'm on my way to bed. So yes, Dee, it's been as you described.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Had a fine day yesterday, but today's a different story. Since I got home from the gym this morning, where I had a really good workout, I can't stop thinking about drinking. It's dominating my thoughts and for the first time in a while I'm in the one hour at a time/keep myself occupied mindset. I'm not H, A, L, or T and there have been no out of the ordinary stressors today, but I can feel my pulse and heart rate racing. Part of that may be due to my breathing issues. I have no desire to get buzzed or wake up tomorrow not feeling my best due to alcohol so it's hard for me to fathom where this came from.

Ironically, the more I try to not think about not drinking the more I'm thinking about it. I've gone through urges/waves in the past, but none of them have lasted essentially all day and I'm hoping that by typing and writing here this madness will stop.

Time to do some reading around here.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I'm a little short of time, but wanted to check in. All is fine. I had a solid 3 mile run yesterday, a good workout this morning, and the puppy is taking up a lot of time, as expected. Started shopping today for what will be a 35-40 person party on Sunday. My plan is to finish the shop tomorrow and spend Saturday doing some food prep work. Full disclosure means I have to write that tomorrow I'll also be going to a liquor store to buy some booze; I'm fine with that.

My mindset is that I'm purchasing for my guests and not for me; some may opine that I'm treading on thin ice, but I no longer drink and the attitude is working for me so I'm not at all concerned as there's normally alcohol at our parties. Just as we have a well stocked bar in the basement everyday that I'm usually not tempted to visit. Given my haste I hope I explained that properly.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Cruising into the weekend with a quiet Friday night before things get rolling. I'm looking to get up early tomorrow for a marathon training run and then I have to spend some time doing prep work for Sunday's party. The temperature is going to be in the low 90F's/32C's so I'm anticipating some of the older folks staying inside while the younger folks run around outside. In light of the weather I'll be making sure that there is a lot of cold water and ice available in addition to the usual adult party beverages should anyone care to partake.

Speaking of adult party beverages, my liquor store trip yesterday was a non issue. My mindset was I don't drink and I'm buying for my guests so I entered the store, got what I wanted, and left. I won't extrapolate and expect that next time will be so easy, although I hope it is, but it went as well as could be expected. That's a good thing.

Wishing a fine weekend to all of SR!
Old 07-31-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Omg you got a puppy!!! How wonderful!
Old 07-31-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good weekend GC

D
Old 08-01-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Omg you got a puppy!!! How wonderful!
Thanks Della. Overall, it's been fine, but it's like having an infant again. Just what two semi-empty nesters need. LOL!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have a good weekend GC

D
Thanks Dee. 'Twas a quiet evening last night and a lousy early morning training run earlier today. I'm where I need to be in terms of food prep for tomorrow's party and am about to pour myself a big glass of club soda, sit on my deck, and listen to some music. Plans for tonight are going out for sushi with the family and then hanging out at home. Tomorrow morning will be totally taken up with getting ready for our guests and then it's Game On!
Old 08-04-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Sunday's party went very well from all perspectives and now it's on to getting ready for a week a the beach with extended family. It's vacation so everyone loosens up their normal routine which means that there will be more than the normal amount of drinking. My ABIL is not going so there shouldn't be issues with anyone drinking too much and getting sloppy, but I'm going to be surrounded for eight days.

It's not that anyone is going to give me a hard time or even say anything, just that this will be a first for me with regard to a sober vacation. Yeah, there have been long weekends here and there, but for those I was usually with my wife and one of my kids; this time not only is the duration significantly longer, but there will be about a dozen adults.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Happy to hear that the party went well, GC. To which beach are you headed? My favorite NJ beach is Avalon; Ocean City, NJ runs a close second.