Notices

On My Way #2

Old 10-30-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Up by six - definitely hot tonight!!!!!
Old 10-31-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

SL, yes they played like a completely different team, but KC is very formidable and they're still ahead in the series. I really liked the way Syndergaard came out aggressively and knocked down the first batter, Escobar. Nothing dirty and clearly there was no intent to hit him, but a 97 mph fastball coming at your head will get anyone's attention. I grew up and played at a time when it was part of the pitcher's job to make sure the batter was not comfortable in the box. On a purely sentimental note, it was nice to see Wright have such a good game. He's a fine representative as the face of the team, there's never been anything in the tabloids about him doing something stupid away from the ballpark, and although his back injuries have derailed what was the arc of a Hall of Fame career, he's the captain and I think the other players on the roster get inspiration when they see how much he has to go through just to make it to batting practice, let alone play in the game.

I'll be multi tasking tonight; the game will be on my tv and I'll be watching with interruptions as my wife and I give candy to the trick or treaters. Even though our kids are older, we enjoy the holiday and spent hours today decorating the house. Usually we do the decorating the weekend before, but we were away in your fine state.

Tonight

I have no idea how many kids we're going to be handing candy to. I have 130 pieces which hopefully will do the trick. My wife is dressing up as a lady bug; I may not dress up at all because when I do I tend to be too scary for the real young ones. In addition to the static spider webs and lawn decorations we have all sorts of motion sensitive skeletons and witches, strobe lights, and a fog machine so adding a scary costume to the mix is sometimes overboard. I also want to be mindful of our puppy who is not exactly digging all the changes.

Happy Halloween SR!
Old 10-31-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Hope you enjoyed the Halloweeners, GC.

Mets are up by 2 - looking to even-up the Series!!!!
Old 10-31-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

SL, more details about the night when I write tomorrow since I'm tired, but as I'm sure you know the Royals came through again. They're playing better and deserve to be in the position they are.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

I have to agree; the Royals are playing better ball.

I thought that the Mets were going to pull it off last night but it went downhill quickly.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

If Game 5 goes to the 11th inning, I may not make it.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Can't do the 12th, GC; you'll have to fill me in tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

SL, I stayed up until the end and am paying the price the morning. KC deserved to win and while I wish the outcome was otherwise, I have to give them credit. As for the Mets, it's disappointing, but they achieved more than they thought they would and the have the nucleus to be contenders in the future.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

I'm a little worse for wear and tear due to staying up to 1 AM last night, but I made sure I went to the gym this morning. I've also walked the puppy twice and will be doing so again later this afternoon.

Tonight's plans are not yet solidified. Yesterday was my daughter's b'day, but she was a couple of hundred miles away. She will be returning today, probably around dinner time, and if she does indeed get home at a reasonable hour and she's up for it we'll take her out to one of her favorite restaurants for dinner. Otherwise, that will be postponed until later in the week. Other than the birthday dinner the week should be quite normal.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Seems the twelfth inning was a Royals powerhouse.

Happy Birthday to your daughter, GC.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Seems the twelfth inning was a Royals powerhouse.
Another example of fundamentally good baseball, including KC's first out of the inning when Gordon made sure he got the ball to the right side so even though he was out he had a productive at bat that allowed the runner on second to advance to third and set up a potential sacrifice fly. Throw some hits, a walk, and an error into the mix and whammo a new WS record for most runs scored in one inning of an extra innings game is set.

Happy Birthday to your daughter, GC.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing her later today and offering in person congratulations.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Did I hear correctly that this World Series set a record for the most games that ventured into extra innings?
Old 11-02-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Did I hear correctly that this World Series set a record for the most games that ventured into extra innings?
In 1991 there were three between Minnesota and Atlanta. Games 3, 6, and 7. I remember watching the series, especially game 7 when Jack Morris pitched a victorious 1-0 10 inning complete game to clinch. To be transparent, I didn't know the answer to your question and had to look it up.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Thanks, GC. Obviously I didn't hear it correctly; it was getting really late and I was tired.

I am sorry that I didn't stay up until the 12th inning but I simply couldn't do it.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Thanks, GC. Obviously I didn't hear it correctly; it was getting really late and I was tired.

I am sorry that I didn't stay up until the 12th inning but I simply couldn't do it.
If you were that tired, you made the right decision. During the first game I fell asleep downstairs and missed almost all of the extra innings, so it was a triple lose situation. The Mets lost, I missed what went on, and at some point after the game ended had to drag my tired butt to the third floor of the house to go to bed.

Listening to sports radio the next day it was a little weird, because I saw most of the game, but much of the talk focused on the extra innings and it was like they were discussing a game I never saw.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to see you're doing well GC

D
Old 11-02-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Dee, thanks for posting here. I'm doing fine. Some days require that I pull more tools from my sobriety tool box than others, but I'm always able to find something effective.

Tonight

I'm still up in the air about tonight's dinner plans. Unless she hits some horrific traffic my daughter will be home a little after 6 and I'm not sure if she will want to go to the gym with my wife. If so, we'll be eating at home and I have a very nice USDA prime grade rib eye steak to grill that I will serve with a roasted beet and feta cheese salad. If we do go out the aforementioned will be tomorrow's dinner.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Your dinner sounds great, GC.

Whichever plan materializes, enjoy your time with the birthday girl.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Your dinner sounds great, GC.

Whichever plan materializes, enjoy your time with the birthday girl.
Thanks SL. After a long weekend away my daughter opted to eat at home last night. It was very nice and I was also happy with the way the food turned out.

Today

I'm going to take advantage of the unseasonably warm weather and go for a run in the latter part of the morning.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

My run is done. Unbelievable that I was able to run in short sleeves and short pants when the calendar is reading November.

I don't suffer from low self esteem, but I got two big boosters today and who doesn't like that? The first was from my 26 year old nephew who ran his first marathon on Sunday, the little jaunt known as the NYC Marathon. I didn't give him too many physical training tips, but I did talk to him while he was preparing about the mental aspects of marathon racing and what this race in particular would be like. He called today to thank me and to tell me that more than once my words helped him get through the inevitable difficult patches.

The second positive feedback is still ongoing and it's coming from a photography site that is stocked with many professional and high level amateur photographers. Yesterday I submitted some pictures I took last weekend for critique and criticism and the responses have been filled with praise.

My plans for tonight are to cook pork chops in a to be determined manner and serve them with roasted asparagus. After that I'll probably read. Also on my to do list is buy my book club book since our next meeting is in a little over four weeks.