Notices

Class of March 2013 part 35

Old 12-11-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers It's been wild and stormy in Paradise, apparently it's a pretty general thing on the eastern half of Australia, I know we won't have a white Christmas but maybe we will have a grey one.

Babs I am pleased that you are on day three. What have you put in place this time to help you? In the early days I would anticipate the triggers, common ones for me were 6pm, sitting down to dinner, smoking cigarettes. I ditched the smoking when I cut alcohol (I'd been cutting back tobacco for years), I poured my favourite chinotto before 6pm and I'd concentrate on the food when I ate dinner. There were other triggers too but thinking about them and having a small action to do helped.

Hope you are all marching well, have a good day peeps.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Go, Babs, Go!

What Marcher says is dead on. Rehearse your reactions while you're not under duress.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers.

Congrats on 3 days Babs! ♥

I found that changing things up a little also helped me with triggers.
One thing I find helpful is planning my dinners in advance.
And as Marcher said, really concentrating on the food.
I love how wonderful food tastes again. And I find great satisfaction in cooking my little meal and setting a pretty table. And I savour every bite.

Hope that doesn't sound silly.

V xx
Old 12-11-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

V, my dear, that doesn't sound silly at all! For that matter, whatever helps us stay clean and sober is worth considering :-)
Old 12-12-2014, 12:25 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

V not only doesn't it sound silly, but it is a very positive thing. You are reminding yourself that you are important and worth a little effort. Too often we think only of making an effort for others. I know you historically put everyone else first, so this is a good thing for you to do as it reinforces within you that you are worthy. How is the recovery going?

Life nothing to add to what Dee said really

Sass, how wonderful! We will be packing house at around the same time so we can be moving buddies!!! Yay!

Oh Marcher, Molly is in love with Marcher dog!

Duff, I agree with Trachy, sell the boys!! ( kidding, you need someone to choose your nursing home!)

Trachy great news my friend!

North absolutely loved the virtual hug pic! How are you doing? What's your weather like just now? It's around freezing but feels like -5C today. At least it makes me jog faster. I was out in a sleety blizzard on Wednesday morning and imagined all the drivers passing thinking " oh you nutter!"

We,Mandy having a dentist friend. Actually my daughters new(ish, and seemingly serious) beau is a dental technician, so maybe I will get him to make me up some veneers! In Glasgow especially, when the NHS first came into being, a lot of weegies got all their teeth pulled and got falsies because it was free and meant no more dodgy teeth! Yeesh! Just a bit extreme for me!

Babs great to see you, keep counting those days love, you will get there.

Hugs to y'all must go Womping again!!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

Toots, it will help to have a moving buddy :-). Never had that before.

A rough day yesterday but the bottom line is that I stayed stone cold sober. Cancer family was here for quarterly scans to make sure all is ok. They are lovely people but are also a family in a very high needs situation. I like helping them but it does stress me. By mid-afternoon I was having the strongest thoughts I've had in awhile about stopping at the store for wine. I thought it all the way through and my sober self prevailed but it was a good reminder that I can't blithely assume all is now easy! I will need to plan for these feelings and thoughts with my move, too. I don't think I drank for the buzz as much as I drank to blot out the world. Meeting life head on can be painful but at least I can work on the tough parts when I am sober. When I drank, I didn't make any progress at all.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I'm glad you thought better, Sass. I had a sudden thought this morning: I was rummaging around in my dad's pantry closet looking for good snacks for him, and I spotted a bottle of amaretto on the top shelf! It's probably 20 years old, but it struck me anyway. You're not really supposed to guzzle liqueurs, but little niceties never stood in my way!

Today I just sighed and walked away. When he's sleeping this afternoon, I'll grab it and dump it. And rinse the bottle before throwing it away!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

hi Marchers---going for another day---thank you for the support.
it's my Birthday tomorrow---we are going to visit my sister so,will be
away for awhile.Have a great week-end.
Babs
Old 12-12-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Great to see you back, Babs!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I got the amaretto from my dad's closet. Day-umm--it was FULL!

My husband had made himself some tuna salad, and left a bunch of raw onion debris in the sink. Because I find raw onions to be utterly repulsive, the delicious scent of amaretto going down the drain smelled pretty bad. (I'm not going to be the one to clean up that onion mess)!

I rinsed the bottle really well and put it in the trash. When my husband came down, he wished I had allowed him to go in and get rid of it--but I didn't want my dad to wake up and find him "snooping" in his room.

I do kind of wonder about my motivations--was I just being practical, or did I really want to have the amaretto in my hands and smell it, kind of living vicariously? I confess, I think I did a little bit.

Oh, well--I did dispose of it quickly and thoroughly, as I said I would. My dad will never even notice it's gone.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers Babs a very happy birthday to you for "tomorrow" which is today here. I hope you have a good visit with your sister.

V I think it's an excellent idea that you set a nice table at meal times, respect for ourselves is essential in the recovery process. From a very young age I was taught that we sit up to a table to eat and, even now, unless it's a little snack I find it awkward and "wrong" to eat not at a table.

Have a good day peeps.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
By mid-afternoon I was having the strongest thoughts I've had in awhile about stopping at the store for wine. I thought it all the way through and my sober self prevailed but it was a good reminder that I can't blithely assume all is now easy! I will need to plan for these feelings and thoughts with my move, too. I don't think I drank for the buzz as much as I drank to blot out the world. Meeting life head on can be painful but at least I can work on the tough parts when I am sober. When I drank, I didn't make any progress at all.
(((Sass))) ♥♥♥

Your self-awareness is very inspiring.
As is your strength.

We can stay sober together through the challenges ahead.
Blotting out the world never helped me at all.
It always made everything far worse.
Yes, meeting life head-on can be challenging, but you have all of the Marchers with you every step.

V xx
Old 12-12-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

As Marcher said, it's tomorrow here already, so:

Babs!!! ♥♥

I think back to the slovenly years where I sat on the couch, sculled wine and ate copious amounts of "munchie" food. Eating at the table is very important for me too. It is the way I was brought up, after all. And it is indeed all about self-respect.

Love to all of the Marchers,

V xx
Old 12-12-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

happy birthday Babs

D
Old 12-12-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday a day early, dear Babs!!!! Enjoy your visit.

Ah Gilmer, playing with fire! Glad it's gone.

V, love that you set a table. I am horrible - when alone I always eat on the couch in front of the TV -- and I won't even tell you what it is I'm probably eating -- I guarantee it's not something I cooked.

Ok, off to finish up my Christmas shopping
Old 12-12-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Toots, I might be seeing you next fall - my niece just got accepted to Boston University!!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Happy early birthday, Babs! And I hope you enjoy your visit :-)
Old 12-13-2014, 02:00 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Today is the day in the USA!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BABS!

Old 12-13-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
We can stay sober together through the challenges ahead.
Blotting out the world never helped me at all.
It always made everything far worse.
Yes, meeting life head-on can be challenging, but you have all of the Marchers with you every step.

V xx
Thanks, V! You all are my strongest support. There is so much wisdom here; I appreciate each and every one of you :-)
Old 12-13-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

We appreciate you, too, Sass! :