http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-34-a-20.html

D
Old 12-08-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ha, ha, Trach!
Old 12-08-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow! I was so close!

How is everyone? I will go back and read up. I think I owe Sass a dancing banana, 1day is getting Internet, and Toots maybe traveling again. I'm sure I missed a heck of a lot more.

I've been working very hard on getting my life in order. It's time. I've been working a lot but balancing it with taking care of me which leaves about 2 hours an evening for laundry and feeding livestock etc. I hope everyone understands. I'm ready and it's time.

So I've been actually trying hard at work and taking it more seriously. Hoping it results in financial gain which would help on the other parts of my life needing work. Including my Dad. I'm trying to develop a social life in what little time remains too. That's the tough one. Haha.

So I guess for the first almost 2 years of being sober, I focused on staying sober and now I'm ready for phase 2....my life to get better....other than the obvious. That requires some effort on my part I've learned. Like I said. I'm ready.

I was thinking about it all the other day. Some people's lives immediately improve when they quit drinking and some people's lives improve but in more subtle ways and then we need to take the steering wheel in our own hands. I'm the latter.

Don't get me wrong. My life is fantastically better than it used to be. I just don't have everything I dreamed of yet. But that's okay. I'm just going to help make some of those dreams happen. They can come in whatever form they should. And they will. But I need to get up off my butt and be ready for them. Sitting in my apartment waiting for something to happen isn't going to cut it.

So I figure that means giving everything it's due respect, hard work, and effort. I'll keep you posted on how it all goes.

Meanwhile. Keep on trucking! I'll pop in and say hi and keep up with you all when I can!!

My career is calling. I need to brush my hair and look good for it.

xoxo
Old 12-08-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great to see you, Shoes! Have a wonderful day!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I believe it is now Tuesday in OZ, so Marcher 13 my twin, conrats on 21 months of sobriety!!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Marcher and Budd!

Old 12-08-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Huge congratulations Marcher and Budd!!!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Huge congratulations Marcher and Budd!!!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Duff, Gilmer and Shoes, your posts are incredibly inspiring for me this morning! I'm feeling so much better than 4 months ago and reading your posts has given me glimpses of what I can look forward to. At this point I'm still avoiding situations where there will be alcohol though that won't be the case once I move. It feels good to know that I can look forward to enjoying gatherings where alcohol is present without drinking same. A couple of months ago I did have lunch with a casual friend who had a drink and it bothered me a bit though it didn't result in my drinking. Hearing your thoughts on the changes is invaluable to me. I'm sticking like glue to all of my supports for now but now am beginning to think about a sober life in which my focus doesn't need to be constantly on not drinking. And all of the changes in many attitudes have not escaped my notice.

This is an enormous gift here on SR where we share parts of our lives that may not seem like they are related to alcoholism but as we progress in sobriety, we gain perspectives that help us grow.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My husband did not know what to buy his dad for his birthday, so he asked the brother who lives in the same town as his dad. He said we couldn't go wrong with a good single malt scotch. My husband asked me if I would be OK with that. I said yes, absolutely.

Whiskey (or whisky) of any sort was never a temptation for me: to me it tasted nasty and burned my throat.

There were days when my in-laws would have a glass of sherry before dinner. Once they invited me to share in their private ritual. It was a nice, intimate moment.

The next time I visited I asked if we could do it again. It registered for a second that they were taken aback. They shared their sherry, but I knew I was abusing their hospitality. I took a nice moment and cheapened it permanently because I was a lush.

This past Saturday when my MIL was sitting down she noticed my bracelet with the eight beads and asked about it. I told her the black and green bead was my first sobriety bead, from Jan. 2013. The blue and white one was my second one, from May. The red and silver one was my third (and hopefully final) sobriety bead, from Nov. 2013. I told her I now had a whole year of consecutive sobriety.

She said, "But you were never a falling down in the street kind of drinker!" I told her maybe not, but I was getting drunk every morning and sleeping it off in the afternoon. She didn't believe me--although she was one of the first to frown at my taking extra wine at family dinners.

She and my FIL are moderate drinkers. If they never drank again, they might miss it, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm glad I don't drink anymore. It was such a trap.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the new thread Dee.

Great to see so many of us handling emotional sobriety today.

Acceptance, gratitude, self-forgetting, loving, and tears to wash the pain away.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers! Duff I am so proud of you and so happy to read what you said about the events/parties, you are making great strides. And Gilmer, you are too, I love your insights into various times in the past and I can see my own behaviour in some of your observations.

Kenny thank you, I didn't realise it was the 9th until I read your post! I know it's not for you yet so I'll save my congrats for a little while.

Have a good day peeps.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Ha, ha, Trach!
Glad for you. I was on my way to the salt mine at that time. Home now and tired. Plenty to do yet tonite. Going to move the TV into the bedroom and deal with a lot of laundry and clothes while the Falcons play.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've got a mountain of towels and tablecloths to fold on the couch, but I'm winding down. I'll get up before dawn and fold them, when I've got super energy.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats marcher and budd!

Sass, after a while, it won't matter if people drink around you. You won't even notice half the time. It will happen on it's own, can't rush it but it happens.

Gilmer, great post girrrrl!!

Shoes, it's great to see you again. Happy you are focusing on you. And your soon to be awesomer life.

Toots? You heading to the states again? I missed the memo.

Things are good in wehavland. We gotta figure out where we are gonna live. That's going to take a while... I have an apartment in the city and she has a house which is lovely but a looong commute for me to work. We have yet to find a neighborhood we both like, and unfortunately she doesn't like the neighborhood I'm in and love. My apartment is a converted shotgun house, I have neighbors upstairs. A woman and her three daughters. I find her to be a bit of a flake. I feel for her that she has three kids and three fathers/exes to deal with, and a lot of stuff, and not a ton of money, but I had not ing to do with those choices. So when I can't get to my stuff in the basement to organize it because she has soo much crap, or when my apartment is vulnerable because she keeps forgetting to close the basement, or in the case of this weekend her kids clog a toilet so bad my kitchen becomes a dirty waterfall and she doesn't seem remotely bothered by it.... I get a little exasperated. So yeah, we gotta find a place to live together. Somewhere, sometime. And I gotta get out of this apartment but it means leaving the neighborhood I love and my first feeling of home since leaving california. Wow that was a lot of blabbing... Take care everybody.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Tis the season for shoes!

Old 12-08-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Trachy, awesome!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Busy day for me, so still reading....but just quickly wanted to say

Ken and Marcher on 21 months!! ♥♥♥

Love V xx
Old 12-08-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
This is an enormous gift here on SR where we share parts of our lives that may not seem like they are related to alcoholism but as we progress in sobriety, we gain perspectives that help us grow.
I love this Sass. And I feel the same way.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Ken: Congrats it's the 9th now for you too!