Notices

Class of March 2013 part 35

Old 12-16-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Spongebob rules!
Duff I tend to ignore the news these days it only depresses or frustrates me, but I listen to the radio when I am dressing for work, to keep an ear on the time and keep me awake. Unfortunately it also gives me the headlines twice an hour! X
Old 12-16-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

It's been a bit hectic recently with AA mentions, IOP After Care group and more apartment downsizing in preparation for upcoming move in the last week of January plus visiting relatives for Christmas.

So very sorry to read about the events in Sydney. It's incredible how much violence there is in the world. Or perhaps it seems that way because of the news media. Whatever the reason, I feel for the people affected.

I'm doing well. I had a very stressful day last Thursday but didn't drink and at some point over the weekend found myself relaxing (though not dropping vigilance) about not drinking. It feels now like I can have those feelings of wanting a glass but feel quite sure that i don't ever want to pick up again. It is very freeing.

Babs, I'm so proud of the progress you are making. Try to remember that it does gradually get much easier. So nice that your sister is being supportive!

I thought of lots of comments for you all but it's too overwhelming right now to go back and figure out all the things I wanted to say. So just think of my best wishes for all of you :-)
Old 12-16-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Just checking in to say hello, and to share my good news that my internet was officially installed at 8pm last evening. However, I am "babysitting" Berkeley all this week while his "parents" are honeymooning at Disneyworld (they had to wait over a year due to the need to build up vacation time at work). He is a handful! Although he is approaching a year old, he still acts like a 6 month old puppy, loves to chew and demands a lot of attention. (hence, not as much time online as I would like).
Tomorrow and Thursday will be hectic... I will have him as well as Seraphina to watch... I am grateful to be sober, as I could not imagine being in the fog produced by painpills or the lethargy produced by drinking and be a good caretaker.
I send my prayers to those in Australia affected by the recent act of terrorism... so sad.
More later.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Rassin frassin fargin stomp stomp stomp

NOT what I needed today. Looks like my teamate at work has gone off the reservation. The business owner said last time he was out a month. He's trying to find me some help so I can keep installing. Anyone in Atlanta need a job?
Old 12-16-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers A bit of sunshine is emerging right now which seem appropriate. 1Day I am glad to know that you have your Internet sorted. Babs how are you going now that you are back home?

We are way busy in the shop which is a good thing but it does mean a hard working wind up to the end of the year. Trachy I wish I could take the job in Atlanta, what a fun time we would have, but I'd have two people after me if I left the shop unmanned (unwomaned?)

Have a good day peeps.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone!!!!!!

With the holidays approaching, my regular nighttime league will be taking the 20th through Jan 4th off. So the bosses asked about maybe changing some hours during that time.

I sent in my recommendation that with the kids out of school and no leagues, we should open and close earlier 1:00 open until 9:00 closing as we never got people walking in after 8:00. (being on a military base, we arent open to the general public). I alos asked that the attatched grill/bar be open all times when I am. ( The F&B manager would close completely if he could)

I got the approved changes today.

My hours will remain the same except for Xmas and NY day which we will be closed. So it's 3:00 pm to 10:30 pm except Xmas eve, when I can close at 6:00 pm.

The grill however, will be closing at 5:00 pm on those days, so for 5 1/2 hours each day people can come in bowling but cant get a burger, fries, or any adult beverages.

That makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

I even have a party booked for the 23rd, bowling from 6:00 to 9:00. To get any food they must order and pick it up by 5:00 and then wait for their group to come in. In my opinion fries are really bad after an hour!!!! There is no way to keep their food warm.

Which over all means, the customers will be mad at me, not realizing, or caring that it was not my decision. Then the bosse will be mad at me because we wont get any business after they find out they cant get a snack while they are here.

Oh well, I'm not going to agonize over it, when I get asked why there was no business, I will show them the email with my recommendations and ask why they didn't use my suggestions. After all , I'm the one here everyday.

On the bright side though, even with my DUI being knocked down to Careless Driving. I thought my car insurance would go up. I got my renewal today and it dropped 30%. This company loves me for some odd reason. The girl in the cafe has the same company, a better driving record and just as old of a car and she's paying almost double what they renewed me for.

Jez is now relegated to a long leash if I'm not out with her, she escaped again today and was 2 blocks over before I found her. I tried to entice her with treats to show me her spot, but she didn't fall for it. I think she has found a low spot she can jump over, so some rearranging of clutter is in order!

Hope you are all having a great day!!!!!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Jez is one smart dog Ken. She will make you work hard to find her sneak-out spot.
As for your work? How silly of them. Maybe they will realise you are right sooner than later, and change that rule.
Awesome news on the massive drop in your car insurance rate! Just wondering if women get charged more in general for car insurance? I had heard that in the past....no idea if it's correct or not.

Love V xx
Old 12-17-2014, 02:34 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Ken, is there a local place that cooks that would be willing to deliver simple takeaway after 5pm? It wouldn't cover adult beverages but perhaps cover regular drinks and offer maybe burgers & chips, or say hot filled bread rolls? You could organise a 7pm delivery for hot food for parties booked in after 5pm?

I have no idea what numbers you deal with but do you have an espresso machine? If so you can offer fresh espresso, hot tea and hot chocolate. If you linked in with a local bakery could you offer slices of gourmet cake and perhaps cupcakes for the younger crowd? For the cake you just need a fridge.

I'm talking off the top of my head here as I am only reading about your hours and food cooking limitations. When I first left teaching I ran a small cafe beside our shop with very limited and small facilities, it is surprising what you can do.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Ken, that seems very short-sighted of your bosses! I love Marcher's ideas for handling that. And great about having DUI downgraded to careless driving and drop in your insurance rates :-). Good luck with Jez - she sounds like a very determined girl

Trachy, I hope your boss finds you a work partner very soon!

1day, always good to see you here and happy you will be able to stay closer now that you have Internet access.

I agree with V, I also need to watch SpongeBob! I miss too many references, lol!

It's definitely that time of year again...started a sore throat yesterday and woke up with same this morning. That usually means a long siege with a cold but I am being good about resting and lots of fluids!

Have a lovely day!
Old 12-17-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Marcher's got good ideas there. Get yourself a little extra money selling snacks and beer. Microwave popcorn. Delivery pizza. Hookers. Wait...that's not right.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
It's definitely that time of year again...started a sore throat yesterday and woke up with same this morning. That usually means a long siege with a cold but I am being good about resting and lots of fluids!
1/2 teaspoon dried ginger or 2 tsp fresh grated
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons honey
2 cups boiling water

Cover for 10 mins, strain. Drink at preferred temperature three times a day.

Easy soup
1 chopped onion
4 stalks chopped celery
2 carrots diced
garlic to taste
1 litre chicken stock

Bring to rolling boil. Turn to simmer for 10 mins, add s&p.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Thanks much, Marcher!
Old 12-17-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Ken, in the summer I tether Molly on a long tether as our garden is not enclosed, it doesn't bother her one bit.
As for the work, I suggest you put it to the boss they may well have some food poisoning cases brought if people are eating barely warm food. And put a sign up above your area saying something along the lines of 'Don't blame anything on me, decisions are above my pay grade!"
Old 12-17-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Oh and Trachy I would love to help you out but it would be a bit of a commute!!
Old 12-17-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Military intelligence, our health department won't allow thm to bring in anything not prepared on site. I'm not food handler certified so I can't even run a frozen pizza through the oven. I can sell soda and there is a vending machine for chips/candy. I've explained to the lady having the party about health risks association with food being left out, hoping they would change their starting time, but that didn't go well either.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Ouch! Well, Ken, you tried.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

hi Marchers---8 days and still going strong---been busy with house things---not use to my lap top--keep losing messages not sure what I'm doing wrong but, will eventually figure it out. hope everyone is well---hugs to you---
babs
Old 12-17-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

hi Marchers---8 days and still going strong---been busy with house things---not use to my lap top--keep losing messages not sure what I'm doing wrong but, will eventually figure it out. hope everyone is well---hugs to you---
babs
Old 12-17-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Good for you, Babs! :-)
Old 12-17-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8 days Babs!!!! ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Feel better Sass!

Love to all the Marchers,

V xx