Notices

Class of August 2013 - Part 14

Old 02-04-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Kadi, wow. You've learned to hold the ego in check by not responding to the emotions and getting into a loop of crazy thinking. Or trying to fix things and please others too quickly. I'm really impressed.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Else, thanks for the Central Oregon climate update.. wouldn't you know.. the winter I have my place up there rented out, it's not too cold.. lol. I don't miss skiing but I do miss mountain biking. Still doing my road climb up the pass 2-3 times a week though. It's so darn steep. I plugged the distance, grade, and times into a cycling calculator and it's a 2000 calorie burn, in under an hour. Unfortunately, it allows me to continue to indulge my daily cookie habit without any ill effects.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

My oldest and dearest friend took his own life last night. We were roommates at college for two years and he served as best man at my wedding years later.
I fly to Chicago Sunday for his funeral. I am profoundly sad.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

So very sorry, Orn.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Orn, I am so sorry about your friend and will be thinking of you.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for your loss Orn. All my prayers go with you and to all who knew and loved your friend.

D
Old 02-07-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, Orn. I know how painful it is to lose those with whom we shared our early adult hopes and adventures. You have my deepest sympathy.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Oh, Orn! I'm so sorry! I don't even know what to say. So devastating to the ones left behind. My heart goes out to you. Love, Elseware
Old 02-08-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

One can't decribe the attachment we have formed over the last 18 mo. I find myself praying for the wellbeing of a man I have never met, bu t feel I know better than those I see every day..May God bless you Orn and give you peace during this time...
Old 02-08-2015, 09:22 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

More from me later but Orn, let me join our classmates in extending my sympathy to you over the loss of a dear friend.

I hope that you are doing all right in this time of sorrow.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

V, can't wait to hear! Did you cling to the buffet table as I suggested or have a midnight rondavieu with Mr Wonderful?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oceanlady View Post
One can't decribe the attachment we have formed over the last 18 mo. I find myself praying for the wellbeing of a man I have never met, bu t feel I know better than those I see every day..May God bless you Orn and give you peace during this time...
I feel that way as well, Oceanlady.

I am guessing that yesterday or today brought your friend's funeral, Orn. What sadness for everyone, including you. Your little cluster of friends here continues to keep you in our thoughts and prayers. It can feel so futile and difficult to understand what led up to a loss like this one, and I'm sure you're going through a wide range of emotions.

Orn, over recent months, the primary transition you've noted as your sobriety grows deeper is the chance it has given you to grow as a father and husband. The love of your family is a gift indeed, one you've earned with your strength and commitment. I hope that during this time, you can rest in the comfort of your wife and daughter to help you with what must be truly painful grief.

Thinking of you, friend.

Venecia
Old 02-09-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oceanlady View Post
V, can't wait to hear! Did you cling to the buffet table as I suggested or have a midnight rondavieu with Mr Wonderful?
Hey classmates!

Thank you for the warm thoughts, which matched the warm weather I enjoyed over the last 10 days.

It is amazing to reflect on what happens as time goes by. Had this trip taken place a year ago, it may well have been a painful challenge. The cruise ship is, on one hand, every bit as booze-soaked as I remember. (On the other hand, you really do start to notice that not everyone drinks.)

As I close in on 1.5 years of sobriety, I am pleased to report that this trip verified for me it is my new normal. There were no temptations. I did ask the steward to remove the booze from our mini-fridge, just so it wouldn't be hanging over me. I also attended one AA session; I'll write more about that later. And while I had great intentions to work out every day -- well, I got in three workouts.

Also wonderful to report is that Mom surpassed my expectations. No health concerns, though she remains frail. She enjoyed the cruise so much.

We also had a great visit with my cousin and her family in New Orleans. On the Friday night before we left, my cousin and I went to Frenchman Street in the Marigny district, where a big highlight was seeing one of the musicians from the HBO show "Treme" at a club. The next night, we attended the Crewe de Vieux parade, which lived up to its reputation as Mardi Gras' lewdest parade!

Oh, and no hanky panky (though a few ice cream treats). The godmother of the ship, who christened it, was actress Kim Cattrall, who played "Samantha" on "Sex and the City." I have to say, it was a very non-Samantha trip for me!

I'm a little sunburned, a little tired and putting off a big load of laundry. But things feel good.

V.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Better You

Welcome To a new and better you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1cat_n.jpg (40.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-09-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the thread serenityfreedom

D
Old 02-10-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Welcome Serenity.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Welcome Jonathan. Good to have you here.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Come join us SerenityFreedom! We're happy to have new friends!
Old 02-10-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

My girlfriend and I just got back from a week in El Nido, Palawan, in the far west of the Philippines archipelago. It's stunning there, with giant rock formations and islands, secluded beaches, and even some good restaurants in the little town. We toured some islands by traditional boat, snorkeled, swam, and rented a small dirt bike for a couple days of exploring remote beaches. Had a blast, and no alcohol was involved, lol. She doesn't drink either, which makes it so much easier for me.

The only real annoyance was the large number of Europeans who smoked, even in restaurants. Ugh. Forgot about that one. Had to leave one place as it was making me sick. And it's a 5 hour van ride from the airport, on bumpy, curvy roads, with all the usual hazards here - dogs, carabou and people in the roadways, crazy drivers, etc. But well worth it.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Welcome, Serenity. It's nice to have a new friend here in our class!

Adv, it sounds like the trip to Palawan was really nice. Photos welcome!

Orn, I hope that you've been OK these recent days. What a sad time for you, I'm sure.

Hope all are well. I'm going to share an experience in another thread but know that I'm thinking of all of you. It would be good to hear from our pal FG.