Notices

Class of August 2013 - Part 14

Old 02-25-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Else, you are in my thoughts and prayers. We have said so much about ourselves and all our challenges, but when it's our children's it's so much worse. My tendency is to try to fix their problems so they won't suffer. When they have issues we can't fix it hurts us so very much. Stay stronge, I'm so proud of you and how far you have come.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

V: I'm sorry about the scare with your mom and your purse being stolen. Thank goodness your mom is doing better!

Else: my thoughts are with you and your son. I'll be asking the universe to send positivity your way. And I'm sending a big ol internet hug your way.

I didn't ever say hello and welcome to the new folks! Hello and welcome!

Carlos, what a difference sobriety makes in trying situations!
Old 02-28-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Hi all, have an amusing tale to tell! I bought a groupon for a mani/pedie and went to this place yesterday....Susan , the nail tech. Greatered me....she appeared to be late 50's, bleached blond unruly hair and lots of make up!! One shelf held decorated wine glasses...over the course of two hours she worked meticulousely on nails,but, four time offered me a glass of wine!! She talked of local happy hours and experiences she has had there. The old me would have needed a cab to get home....instead of any temptation, I ssaw a loney lady looking for comfort and so glad it wasn't me!
Old 02-28-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Oh! Talk to all from sunny Florida after tomorrow!
Old 02-28-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Hi, all --

Hope this note finds everyone doing all right. Else, I've been thinking a lot about you. Big hugs your way.

Headed back to Wisconsin shortly after some errands related to the purse theft. Ugh. The cold I had made its way back big time. Or is it a new cold? At any rate, I've been a snot factory again and really hoping to feel back to normal one of these days!

Dee, a quick note of gratitude. I see in the other parts of SR that you deal with a lot. I'm always amazed by your kindness and wise counsel to those who are so deep in this struggle that it is hard for many of us to muster much grace. You really are a talented leader.

Take care, everyone. Oceanlady, interesting story about the mani/pedi lady. I hope that you enjoy Florida tremendously. The winter you have been having makes me think Florida will definitely feel like paradise!

May we all have a sober, peaceful and healthy weekend.

V.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Dear Ones, I have been away from my computer and tablet but I'm trying to catch up today. I want you all to know that even though this is a very tough time, I am feeling pretty calm now and am doing ok. I'm not much of a cryer but I've been doing a lot of it lately and it relieves me to do it. Before I think I never cried because I was too numbed out. I have no desire (well maybe not NO desire) to use any chemical to try and make this go away. I know it won't help and I have not fallen back into depression. I am very grateful for this. My friends and family have been so supportive to me. Even my ex-husband's family have rallied around with phone calls and kind notes.

As for my son, he has been discharged from acute care and is now in the rehab center. He is very arrogant and doesn't seem to grasp the gravity of his situation. His liver is very damaged and his blood work is very bad. Beside these facts, he has pretty much lost everything and he just does not get it. His next step is a homeless person, I guess. I am so hoping for a miracle. Praying for one, even though I'm pretty much an agnostic. I feel very hopeless right now unless he finds some humility in his heart. I would so gladly take this on myself if it could be taken from him. But I do know that if I drain a bottle of vodka or swallow a handful of pills it will not change a thing.

I took a quick glance through the previous posts and your kind words of support are so appreciated. I am very grateful. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't found you while I was detoxing. I truly do feel you were and are my lifeline.

Venecia, I hope your cold is better soon. Misery! I'm lucky. I rarely get them. And Oceanlady, I can just imagine you down there in Florida soaking up the sun. It will be yummy after the awful winter you have been having. I'm going back to California in a couple of weeks but they want the family to stay away for a while. It's pretty nice down there now which makes the drive easier.

Thank you and lots of love to you all!
Old 03-01-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Else, good news on your son moving out of acute care. I cannot imagine what you must be going through right now, but I like your attitude. You are in my thoughts.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  
Administrator

continued prayers for you and your son Else

D
Old 03-03-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Hey gang,

Today would have been Dad's 80th birthday.

It's been a rough day.

But it is another day in recovery.

V.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Hi V, hang in there, it's okay to miss him.. You too Else, I know things are rough going with your son. Try to find things to be grateful for, even little things. I'm glad you have support from the family.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Hi all from sunny south Florida! However things have not gone as planned. I am admitted to hospital with complications from last weeks colonoscopy! How finis this... Hope to be here just one day...
Probably souls not have lifted suitcases. Remind me to never have colo done right before trip!
Old 03-05-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Oh my. Hang in there Oceanlady. Hope you heal quickly!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Oh, no, Oceanlady!

You get better pronto, OK?

Take good care.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  
Administrator

get well soon OL

D
Old 03-06-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Thanks all! Having repeat colo today!
Old 03-06-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Take care OL. Let us know you are okay.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

V: sending thoughts your way.

OL: get better!

Having a fun weekend with family. I'm feeling much better than I was thanks to the support here!

I'm considering talking to the doc about switching my meds. Not sure the med I'm on is the best fit. Feeling perpetually exhausted, although it may just be the weather.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Hi guys, feeling much better! They were able to fix my bleeding problem..it was located at the site that the polyp that was removed. They think I lost a pint of blood! I'm back at resort and feeling much better...thanks so much for your concern for me...
Anesthesiologist came to ask me a few questions, do you smoke ?no do you drink? No well you must dance! I say yes even though I'm a terrible dancer...says anytime he has a patient that doesnt smoke or drink they are at dancers! Ha,ha.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Hi you all, my internet is down at home and can't get someone in here to fix it until 3/14 so I am catching up on posts. I love the infusion of the new folks--thanks so much for joining this thread!

So much going on and my heart goes out to all of you. Sheknits, so glad to see you! It sounds like getting those thoughts out to the group brought some relief. I hope the doctor is able to find the right meds--thinking of you in that cold! Else--I am so sorry to hear about what's going on with your son. The blessing is that you have been there in your own way so you can relate to him and offer support. You sound grounded and solid, even though I know your heart is breaking. I hope that he is able to grasp the seriousness of the situation but you can't make this happen...you can only be there for him. V--you are so strong. I am sorry to hear about your mom's dizzy spells and of course, your purse--what a nightmare. My heart goes out to you as you continue to honor your father's memory. You are always so eloquent in describing the nuances of life--I love, love your writing style and your sentiments come through so clearly. OL, I am glad that they found the problem so you can enjoy the sun. I hope that you are not in any pain. To all my other AUG13 friends, advbike, Orn, glee, Carlos, FG, w2r, Dee--wishing you a peaceful sober Sunday!

The past two weeks here have been the toughest I've faced sober. Long story short, I got tenure. Yay! But promotion is still in the air--it's a murky story of questionable process that I don't want to share on the google-able internet, but would be happy to elaborate on in pm. Fortunately, my division is highly supportive and undivided in their recommendation and we are taking the steps to push forward. Will know more this week. That issue I mentioned awhile back with students I supervise has gotten worse and I am handling it but it has been a struggle. My stomach has been in knots and I've been crying and doubting myself a lot--it comes and goes. The rawness has brought a quest for honesty, to see things clearly, to take responsbility for my role in any mess, to stand up for myself when called for, and to be professional and fair on all fronts. I have been really up and down. Drinking would make everything a million times worse so that option is not on the table, although I can't say it hasn't come to mind fleetingly a couple times...but then I consider what the next day would look like. Nothing will have changed and I would only have succeeded in sapping my physical and emotional resources to move forward. I'm really trying the see the big picture--to de-personalize and take a bird's eye view, to put what I'm feeling in the context of a spiritual quest for growth.

Anyhoo, all that is to say that I'm still here and sober and internet-less but not gone, lol. It's all going to be okay in the end--the story isn't over yet.

I have internet at work so will try to be better about popping on this week.

Peace.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Kadidee, congratulations on making tenure. That's huge.