One Year and Over Club Part 19

Old 10-27-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  
Do your best

Just checked my days havnt done that in a while day 471

just wanted to say hello guys
Old 10-27-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

I had not either Wolf... 569 with 3 hours to 570.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:42 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I hope you are finding reasons to smile Drake,

LSC I have been doing that app it's brilliant good luck!

Dee, Still Game is a firm favourite of ours, did you need subtitles?? Have you ever seen Rab c Nesbitt? Came from a sketch show called Naked Video which was pure scottish brilliance.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  
Administrator

I taught myself Scots via Taggart, The High Road and Scotch and Wry, Toots LOL

D
Old 10-28-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

'Aye there's bin a murder' ...... Carol and TJ and Isobel's shop. You're taking me back to my childhood Dee!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

It's 666 days no cigs, 568 no alcohol and 466 no weed for me. I still keep track on a daily basis.

It's the middle of the night here and I can't sleep but I'm tired. Guess I'll do some chores or something. Oh, and I'm full of self-pity and resentment at the moment. What a joyous combination to go with insomnia.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  
instant

you gotta love The World Famous Sobriety Calculator mine was stuck at 0 for years with the occasional climb to 1- not sure how many sober heartbeats that was- it's incredible to think that achieving and sustaining sobriety is possible and is an everyday event in our lives
Old 10-28-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  
Administrator

My pleasure NS

whats up DG?

D
Old 10-29-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

THREE YEARS FOR ME TODAY.

WOW I am pretty stoked about that.
Seems like yesterday I was struggling with three days, not sure if I would make it to a week. And seeing people with two, three years and being so envious and in awe, never truly believing I would get there.

Well here I am and I feel pretty happy about things--I'm living the dream which I have had for years and never thought that would come true either. I'm in Europe, I'm writing, being paid to write, living in a lovely flat and healthy. This is the me I always dreamed of. The fantasy me is me.

AND, I must say staying sober in Berlin has had its moments, but at the end of the day I'm thankful that I'm not pissing my time here away, rather I'm learning about myself and the world every day. I'm working towards goals with a clear mind and no distractions. Well, there are distractions yes but I actually get to choose them, more or less.

Anyway, thanks as ever to SR and all of you. I am fully convinced that this site is saving lives. It saved mine.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats IP

D
Old 10-29-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 years IP!

Old 10-29-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats, IP! 3 years is HUGE

Have a great day, overs!
Old 10-29-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Old 10-29-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good afternoon Overs.

LSC1 - good to hear you're enjoying your hockey. Like the ring of 'Couch to 5K'

A question for the Strailyain crew - do your schools have a long summer holiday, if yes where in the holiday does Christmas fall and do they wind the kids up for Christmas before hand? Just wondering.

Mag1 - we went to the science museum in London yesterday, it made me feel old to see the Strowger (sp) exchange racks in the displays.

Hello Soberwolf 546 days for me.

DG - hope doing the chores helped.

IP - fantastic

Busy couple of days here, Monday we planted 120 trees averaging 60 seconds per tree, then cleared the final half of a Bramble patch 'Ouch!'.

Tuesday we went to London, saw all the Poppies at the Tower of London (very moving) and went to the science museum. Kids were knackered when we got home.

Tomorrow we're off planting another 120 Hazel. That'll be 300 so far, still got something like 15 more Hazel, 15 Bird cherry, 15 Crab apple, 40 Alder and 40 Willow. I need to order another 120 Alder for a shelter belt we're putting in.

Take care everyone.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Congrats IP!! Three years is fantastic. You sound like you're doing really well. It really is amazing looking back at our early days how much we've grown.

D- Just dealing with the stresses of a long-distance relationship combined with my own tendency to focus in on things to feel bad about. I have a zillion things to be grateful for and I focus obsessively on the one thing that's not going my way. Plus I think I'm not always assertive enough about getting my needs met. Then I sit around dwelling on the fact that my needs aren't getting met. Granted, I'm getting better. In this case, I have tried to put my needs out there, but I think I need to be a lot more firm about it. I realize that I can't control whether or not he listens or wants to do something about it, but I want to at least know without a doubt that I have communicated my feelings about it.

I really need to get my focus back on me and what I can do today for my life. I don't want to waste my time feeling bad about stuff. It's pointless and keeps me from enjoying the things I could be enjoying.

So, the plan for today is to go workout a bit in a few minutes. I haven't been getting enough exercise lately and that may be contributing to my feeling down. Then breakfast.

After that, a shower, and getting dressed. I work from home, so I have the option of hanging out in my pj's all day or just throwing on some jeans and a t-shirt. When I was drinking, I never really cared how I looked and when I get to feeling down, I still tend to go that way. But taking the time to dress nice can really make a difference in how we feel about ourselves, even if nobody is likely to see me. Appearance isn't the most important thing in the world to me, but I'm trying to put more of an effort in to putting my best face forward.

Little details about how we approach life can make a big difference. When I get to feeling bad or get too busy, it is easy for me to skip workouts, skip meals, skip trying to look nice, etc. They seem like little things, but they really affect how I feel.

So, today is going to be all about the basics for me. And then, I'm going to try to get some work done.

Oh, and next up is posting on my gratitude thread. That's another thing that is easy to skip but when I'm tempted to skip it is when I need it most.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like a plan DG

D
Old 10-30-2014, 12:44 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post

when I'm tempted to skip it is when I need it most.
Geez, that's so true. I do that too.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Things are ok with me. My neice is still slowly, slowly recovering from her brain tumour removal, but it is still progress, which is good.

I've got relationship counselling with my husband this evening which will be, hopefully, not too traumatic lol.

I finally got to the top of the list and started (re-started) seeing the clinical psychologist last week and have appointments with her every 2 weeks now.

My boss at work had to go in for emergency heart surgery last week - a bit scary but he seems to be OK and, actually, extremely fortunate.

I am struggling a little at work and any advice would be welcome! I share a very small office (maybe 10 or 11 feet by 7 feet) with one lovely lady. She has been a massive help and support to me which is wonderful. However, she speaks really quite loudly (probably not that loudly, really, just very clearly and a little bit louder than most) and I find it massively distracting and quite difficult / impossible to ignore whilst I am trying to work.... A lot of this is to do with the anoxic 'injury' I had nearly 2 years ago, but I just don't know what to do / try to help... I am not keen on wearing headphones whilst working as I need to be able to take phone calls and also don't like to look as if I am not working and doing something else instead.... so any advice on very small things I could try to encourage *my* ability to focus out noise whilst working would be great...?!

Toots - that basically sums things up for me right now. I hope things are going well for you just now
Old 10-30-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

FG, try some ear-plugs

the wisdom to know the difference! lol
Old 10-30-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Hi Overs.

I turned yesterday into a pretty productive day. The plan for today is pretty similar: keeping it simple and just working on one thing at a time.

Then I think I'll hit an AA meeting tonight. It helps to just get out of the house and have real life people to talk to.