Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 19

Old 10-30-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Hi Overs, sorry for all the drama. I just had a few bad days reacting to new meds and not remembering to do one day at a time. Hope to have a good day... you'll probably find out if I do or don't!

Decided one of the things I am going to do is attend AA meeting. I go to one 12 step meeting but it is not AA. People in recovery are usually so nice, and I can relate to them. But joining something new always brings out the social anxiety in me.

One day at a time.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good evening Overs.

DG - good to hear you had a productive day.

fg - great news about your niece. Apart from ear plugs I can't help you with your noisy colleague.

Drake - take care.

We planted the 120 Hazel trees. Tomorrow we plan to plant the remainder of the Hazels, the Bird cherry and the Crab apple.

Have a great day.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi all

DG I'm glad you managed to turn your day round. You and I are very similar in the things we niggle over, and you also know what you need to do to let it go! If sleep is still a problem how about a sleep app? I have a few, on specifically for drinking ( or not, as the case may be!) and another for relaxing.

FG, that's a tough one as you don't want to hurt your colleagues feelings but I image that the more you try to shut it out the more it is all you can hear. Perhaps you could ask her if you sound too loud when you are talking on the phone? Perhaps apologise as its a small office and you would hate if your voice carried and disturbed her. That way she might eithe consider her own or even ask, if she asks you could say 'well sometimes you are a little loud, but then my hearing is over sensitive........' Other than that, ear plugs!

IP wow! I am in awe. Like you I remember those early tottering steps along the path of recovery, looking at those in the gods with months and ever...gasp....years of recovery behind them! I couldn't conceive of such progress, it seemed such a long long road ahead of me!

Drake, no drama honey, just a pal reaching out for a hand, no biggie, you mean a lot to us, I'm glad you can ask for support when you need it.

Dee, there's been. Murrrrder indeed! Haha I love the thought of you antipodeans walking around with Weegie accents!!

No offence NS, I was married to a Weegie for 12 years, and love visiting. We are hoping to take our grandson to Parkhead for a game soon. I hope my allegiance doesnt make us sworn enemies ( that said, I am a sassenach after all so plenty of reason to hate me anyway!! )

Treerat, are you planting yourself your own forest???

zip and Itchy.

LDT let me know how the c25k goes. X

Hi Dottie, I forgot to mention you in the undies so I hope you have a look in here and see that I haven't forgotten you completely!! Je suis désolée Ma Cherie. Xx
Old 10-30-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Happy Halloween everyone. I would like to hang around this group if you will have me.
I have been sober for 11 1/2 months. 2 weeks to go to my one year mark. Pretty good for me as I have not been sober for more than a few days at a time since I was in my teens. 60 now. It's just a measuring stick. Still need to stick to my plan and stay tuned with my support group (you).
I will be back on November 12 when I qualify for your sage advice. See you then.
Rick
Old 10-31-2014, 01:47 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Looking forward to your return in a fortnight Rick, and lookout for that one year AV its a beastie, it's having one last throw, but you know you are above anything it can try, just be prepared
Old 10-31-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Old 10-31-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  
instant

IP three years, great stuff. Its amazing that people with years of sobriety are on SR

Enjoy the weekend all
Old 10-31-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Toots it's so good to see you stopping by here again. How is everything going back home for you? Not being able to sleep is fortunately a very rare problem for me.

Rick, we'd be glad to have you join us.

Well, yesterday was another productive day for me. Lots of work, topped off with dinner at the neighbors house and a birthday AA meeting with cake and ice cream. I'm still too much in my head and if I let myself go there, dwelling on relationship issues. I'm waiting for a good time to actually bring stuff up and talk, so maybe I can make some progress on that aspect of things soon. But otherwise, I am going to try to just stay focused on me and on doing the things I need to be doing today. It's been working pretty well the last couple of days so I'm just going to stick with what works.

Last night, somebody at the AA meeting was talking about being addicted to anger. Getting high on the adrenaline that it produces. I think I do the same thing in some sick way with self-pity and resentment at times. It's like I just keep wanting to go back to a place of feeling really bad. I know that is a dangerous place for me and that its tied closely to addiction. I am going to try not to go there today or if I do, to pull myself out of it.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good evening Overs.

Toots - forest? no, woodland, yes. Dependent on how we do the calculation we have around 1,000,000 Ash seedlings. They are too closely spaced to all survive and we are waiting for 'Ash die back' to arrive which may kill the lot. But hopefully as they are all individuals some will make it through.

Hi Rick, welcome to the Overs.

RZ - is that a selfie?

DG - glad you had a productive day.

We had a good day, planted the trees and enjoyed the sunshine.

Have a good day.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  
instant

I never thought of anger that way DG.

I am trying to get rid of my 'readiness' to react to perceived criticism- I think is similar there is an arousal and hyper vigilance - Now I am sober I am aware that at some level it is always 'there'
Old 10-31-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Greets Overs! I actually went to a Halloween party this eve. That is newsworthy since I hate Halloween and I know the hosts and the guests are all big boozers. But, if I am not going to isolate and actually be a part of the world, I have to get out and about. So I went, it was fine and was not the only one not dressed in a silly costume. I had a good time and laughed my tail off.

Feeling pretty good otherwise, the new meds seem to be settling and not making me crazy(er) so that is positive.

First cold weekend of fall, so had to bring the plants in.

Have a good weekend Overs!
Old 10-31-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  
Re-Member

IP! THREE YEARS???

Drake,
You are sounding better!

DG,
Sorry you have been struggling. Glad you are enjoying the sober part of dealing with life.

Toots,
Hey backatcha!

RZ,
Love the peer pics!

FBL!
Classic Halloween vid:

Welcome Rick,
I'll be looking for your posts!

Happy Halloween, or night of the dead!
Old 11-01-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

DG, self pity and resentment are both forms of self absorption, something addicts are good at and although we can make the break from our addiction of choice, we can find it more difficult to alter that part of our nature which constantly brings us back to 'self' . We have to make a conscious effort. So if I feel resentment towards someone or a situation, I break it down to where I am looking at only how it affects me, then I look at what I can do about it. If it is something I can change, I know I must if the situation is to change, if it is something I can have no effect on, then I need to find a way of letting it go.
As always we can only control what we do or say or how we react. Self pity is an easy mud puddle to slip into, and difficult, if we are not vigilant, to get out of. I'm sure we all know people who are 'poor me's' and who are difficult to be around as they suck the life force from you.
Again when we find ourselfs falling into self pity mode, we really have to push to find positives about our lives before it has chance to become pattern. For every aspect of our lives we can look at and thing 'that suck the big one' we can find at least twice that where we can say ' actually, I'm pretty darn lucky'

I have finished writing and editing my novel, I have been putting off the publishing because i am overwhelmed at the thought of what to to where to start, who to trust with my baby, and because the biggest part of it is publicising it and getting it out there. I am not good at marketing, I have no interest in it. ( so if anyone wants a job as a publicist...... !!! ) I also know what I want on the cover but have no idea how to get the image from my head onto the computer.

Drake, did everyone know you weren't in costume?? ( kidding sweetie, you are sounding well and happy )

Zip love the picture, whenever I see this sort of thing I have two thoughts 1) how clever, 2) someone has too much time on their hands!!! Lol

Itchy love the scares!
Old 11-01-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Looks like ol' man winter is knockin' on the door...we were at 75F to start the week and this morning it's only 35F with a brisk NW wind...we even had some light SNOW yesterday! I don't see how this winter can be more brutal than last year, but we shall see.

Got some bad news this past week. My 82 year-old Dad has been diagnosed with lung cancer. They also found probable cancer in some other organs in his body. As some of you may know, I come from a very close-knit family and my Dad is my hero. He quit drinking over 30 years ago and quit smoking over 20 years ago, alas it appears to have finally caught up to him now. He has most of his affairs in order and seems resigned to his fate. It's hard for me, because I'm 6 hours away and I wish that I could be of more help to him. Luckily I have an older brother that lives just a few miles away from my folks and he's been great about helping them out. I'm mostly worried for my Mom as she's been pretty dependant on my Dad over the years. I guess we'll just have to take it as it comes. Glad that I'm at a point where I'm able to deal with all of this sober.

Have a great weekend, overs!
Old 11-01-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear about your dad FBL.

D
Old 11-01-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

nah, not a selfie treer

sorry to hear about pop FBL

and as promised, a little vid, though not the real one

this was taken by a friends shoe phone! lol

Old 11-01-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good afternoon Overs

Drake - good news about the party and your meds.

FBL - sorry to hear about your Dad.

I've been taking the old tomato plants out of the glasshouse, they were still producing in this crazy warm weather but they needed moving on.

Have a good evening.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Drake- Glad to hear you enjoyed the party.

Treerat- I don't know what 'ash die back' is (aside from the obvious), but I hope a bunch of yours make it through.

Toots- Why not just start with the first step for publishing? I'm sure if you Google around you will find tons of information on publishing options. Just start with learning more about it.

FBL- Sorry to hear about your dad.

Rusty, thanks for the video.

Well, I have turned to prayer. Something I only do when I start feeling really desperate. I'm not really sure I even believe in any sort of higher power, but I can't say I disbelieve either. I've always been a fan of written words and I have a prayer journal where I write down my prayers and then go back and read them. I have kind of a formula for my prayers. I don't really believe that God is going to do anything for me and that it's up to me to really make things happen. So, I say, 'God, please help me to...' Or 'God, thank you for...' It does have a very powerful effect on me.

Still struggling. But my plans otherwise are to do a bunch of chores and clean up the house.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Toots,
You're way ahead of me. I am still in the "I oughta" phase despite having loads of folks telling my from my posts and newsletters from the road on my website that if I wrote one they'd buy it. Just start the submission process to various publishers and see if it gets any offers.

FBL,
I know the feeling FBL, sorry to hear you are joining the aging parents crowd too. I never knew my dad. He left us when I was six and never contacted me or my brothers. I found his death notice in the Mexican online obits. Turned out he was Great Britain's Honorary Consul to Mexico, at Acapulco when he died. I contacted them, got a lead on a possible half brother, found him and my English Auntie and Uncles, all this back in 2003. He sent me some pictures and we talked on the phone a few times. I grew up poor and he went to Exeter. Turns out Dad also was awarded the MBE with which the Brits here are familiar. I am not jealous, that is the way it goes. I envy you a hero dad, and not one that all but makes one a bastard. That not a self pity party. A reminder to not dwell on the fears of tomorrow, or regrets of the past my friend, as you do have today. Go see him on some weekends Bud! Give a hug from me too. Sending an email.

Same weather here. Yesterday I was sweating bullets from humidity at 80°, and today it never got above 57! Cold and humid making it feel colder.

RZ!
Awesome vid anyway! Lookin good back there and sounding better!

Andy,
I hear ya! Our five fig trees were producing and ripening figs, despite having lost most of their leaves. Freeze tonight should put an end to that. They tasted different with a nutty flavor and a bit less sweet.

DG well put!
I consider prayer a focusing of my need to act, or gratitude that my acting worked. I don't do religion at all either and haven't made up my mind about a God or Gods out there. I wish you well, and a resumption of your joy in life. You are in the frame of mind I was when I wrote that serenity is no fun until you are serene enough to enjoy it!

Pray for balance.

Me I am just mired down with too much going my way. It is amazing to find we are at odds with both having too little and having too much. Too little good stuff and we feel we are not of worth because we are not busily involved. Too much and we wonder how to take each thing one at a time instead of being overwhelmed by it/them all. But I do have a sense of humor, warped though it might be. And I really have to laugh when I take myself as something serious. Just a few years ago I could not stop drinking for a minute of every day. Now I get pixed off because I am not superman. Got a deep scratch and crease in my new truck from a shopping cart! I am insured so no loss, it is not a new truck. I have my muffler still to be decided and just sold the old truck, my gorgeous 2009 Ford Ranger that was just not able to tow the RVs I want to tow again.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  
Administrator

you need drums up in that mix Zip

Nice groove tho

D