Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 32

Old 12-31-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Happy New Year to my beloved Septemberites !
Old 12-31-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Happy New Year, Friends!
Old 12-31-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

2015 is almost here ~ and I wish you all love and prosperity in 2015. It's going to be a great year!
Old 01-01-2015, 01:53 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

~~HAPPY NEW YEAR ~ HAPPY NEW YOU!!!!!~~~

Happy New Year and Feliz Ano Nuevo to all of my Septemberites!! Make 2015 your greatest year yet!!!

Remember, you have the gift of life~so anything is possible. The past is just that and our realities are the sum total of the actions and habits off our past. So with that said, if you want a new present then we have to change our beliefs, habits, choices and actions. Use your voice, example and life to be a messenger of hope and a catalyst of change and inspiration to others in the coming year!! Be the change that you want to see in the world like Mahatma Ghandi eloquently stated. I have been blessed to share this journey so far with you all and look forward to continued excellence from here on in.

Remember, you have something special. You have GREATNESS within you!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Happy New Year my September friends.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

BLK, when do you plan to move?
Old 01-02-2015, 03:30 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
BLK, when do you plan to move?
Happy New Year GG, I've been in the process of researching a couple of prospective locations and been applying for jobs in the areas and checking out their culture, quality of life, weather, educational systems, crime etc. With that said, the process has been ongoing and the more significant thing really is securing employment in my field and the quality of life going forward which is really the genesis for my move.

I gave myself 6 months from last October knowing it was going to be a process, so I'm 3 months in and starting to narrow things down. So, February and March are going to be the crucial months for travel and so on with this month the employment drive. I must say its a process and a challenging one at that lol, that's why I gave myself that 6 month window. Thanx for asking GG.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Well after 150+ days sober, I drank for more than half of December. It was coming on for longer than that though. One reason was certainly my frustration from gaining weight as I traded food at night for drinking. But I think there are other psychological things involved too, like the holidays in general and visits with family. Nothing crazy happened. I started at about 4 beers a night and had worked my way up to 8 or so again by December 31.

I've stopped again. I've had nothing to drink in 2015 so far and I've joined the January class. I simply enjoy my life so much more when I'm sober for long periods of time. Now that I've gone back and forth more than once I can clearly see the difference. My skin looks healthier, I feel better, daily activities are not overwhelming, I'm not depressed, and I'm way more productive and outgoing.

It's weird though joining a new class. I think my first class was May, 2012 and I spent at least 3 monhts of 2013 sober, that went up to about 3/4 of 2014 sober. So is 2015 the year I take it all the way? I hope so. I'm in a very different place than most of the January class though. I know that alcohol isn't my only friend, and most of the day I don't think about it at all any more. I know that looking forward to falling asleep sober is something that will bring me much joy.

I also still struggle with the alcoholic vs. not alcoholic but just a loser thinking. I actually don't think I am powerless over alcohol, and none of my drinking history was very out of control. Don't get me wrong, it was bad in a lot of ways, for my health and my state of mind and my social interactions, but it was actually a fairly controlled path toward doom. My drinking had actually stabilized for years at a comfortably numb level, and I still knew what was happening. When you get right down to it I think what changed is I got old and my body simply couldn't keep up with the abuse I was pouring into it.

But in hindsight, decades of my life disappeared in that comfortably numb haze and my work and family life suffered greatly. I guess I'm just rambling now. I'll try to stop in from time to time and say hi. 2014 wouldn't have been as successful with sobriety as it was without this class. I wish you all a sober 2015!

/wave
Old 01-03-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Nice post, uninvited.. I had to comment even though I'm from the August class. I knew for years that I was addicted to alcohol but I couldn't quit.. I would get too much social anxiety when I did. So I controlled my drinking, for over 10 years.. maybe 2-4 per night. I watched it like a hawk, even logged my daily consumption in my planner. Yet it still got to me.

The anxiety, boredom, emotional problems, and general dissatisfaction with my life, all got worse anyway. Nothing I bought or did made me happy, including expensive vehicles and a second home. I finally realized that despite the control, I was still addicted. Still living in my shame, not experiencing my feelings, living with regrets and resentments, and using alcohol to numb my emotions. Trying to fill the emotional void with things.

I finally realized what you did, that in order to get better I had to let go of my addiction completely. It wasn't easy, but controlling it just wasn't working. Only when I did that could I begin to address all the other "stuff". And there's plenty of it. But life is getting better again, progress is being made. It was well worth the struggle.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
Well after 150+ days sober, I drank for more than half of December. It was coming on for longer than that though. One reason was certainly my frustration from gaining weight as I traded food at night for drinking. But I think there are other psychological things involved too, like the holidays in general and visits with family. Nothing crazy happened. I started at about 4 beers a night and had worked my way up to 8 or so again by December 31.

I've stopped again. I've had nothing to drink in 2015 so far and I've joined the January class. I simply enjoy my life so much more when I'm sober for long periods of time. Now that I've gone back and forth more than once I can clearly see the difference. My skin looks healthier, I feel better, daily activities are not overwhelming, I'm not depressed, and I'm way more productive and outgoing.

It's weird though joining a new class. I think my first class was May, 2012 and I spent at least 3 monhts of 2013 sober, that went up to about 3/4 of 2014 sober. So is 2015 the year I take it all the way? I hope so. I'm in a very different place than most of the January class though. I know that alcohol isn't my only friend, and most of the day I don't think about it at all any more. I know that looking forward to falling asleep sober is something that will bring me much joy.

I also still struggle with the alcoholic vs. not alcoholic but just a loser thinking. I actually don't think I am powerless over alcohol, and none of my drinking history was very out of control. Don't get me wrong, it was bad in a lot of ways, for my health and my state of mind and my social interactions, but it was actually a fairly controlled path toward doom. My drinking had actually stabilized for years at a comfortably numb level, and I still knew what was happening. When you get right down to it I think what changed is I got old and my body simply couldn't keep up with the abuse I was pouring into it.

But in hindsight, decades of my life disappeared in that comfortably numb haze and my work and family life suffered greatly. I guess I'm just rambling now. I'll try to stop in from time to time and say hi. 2014 wouldn't have been as successful with sobriety as it was without this class. I wish you all a sober 2015!

/wave
Hey UI

Great to hear from you. To be really frank, from reading your posts I had felt you were white knuckling it (with success ). However, from my own experience, I was worried about you as I had always failed after a period of time from trying to abstain on my own. The difference is that you have the good sense to know when to reach out before anything bad happens. Good for you !

Don't get hung up about titles such as alcoholic, blah blah blah. Recognizing that you have an issue with alcohol is already a big enough step forward. And dont you dare believe that you are a loser ! Nothing of the sort, that is your self-pity playing games with you. I recall your posts about your new car, your new promotion at work and all the achievements you have made including having a long period of sobriety. So, drop the 'loser' thought right now.

My opinion is that you might consider about filling the gap that alcohol has left behind. Your drinking was probably filling a gap (such as boredom, loneliness, etc) and now that you want to abstain that gap has returned. What will you do different this time to fill in the gap ? I turned to spirituality (specifically buddhism which mystifies my family ) which I have benefited greatly from. However, it doesnt have to be spirituality but anything that makes you happy and fulfilled inside.

Anyway, I've blathered enough. Stay close to your January class and I hope it helps you as much as this beloved class has saved me ! Oh, and always come back here when you feel like it !!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Thoughtful Tuesday Edition~~
~~Stretch Yourself~~

If you have never failed at anything, then you have never reached for a big enough goal. If you only choose goals that are safe, familiar and right, you'll never stretch far enough to know who you really can become or what you are capable of doing.

To do something different, you will need to be someone different. Decide to leave your safety zone. Move beyond fear of failure to the possibility of authentically and consistently living your truth and creating a bigger life. You have something special. You have GREATNESS within you! #TheNewNormal2015
Old 01-07-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

injured/pain pills

Hi Im new to this website. I will make this short.
I broke my ankle at work. It is extremely painful.
I have been prescribed pain pills and my wife is
furious. she says I have relapsed. any advice. thanks
Old 01-07-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stan76 View Post
Hi Im new to this website. I will make this short.
I broke my ankle at work. It is extremely painful.
I have been prescribed pain pills and my wife is
furious. she says I have relapsed. any advice. thanks
Hi Stan

I am sorry to hear this. I would recommend that you post in the newcomers page rather than the class if this is your first time to SR. I hope you recover quickly ! Perhaps having a sit down chat with your wife and explaining how you wil deal with the meds may help ?
Old 01-09-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Never give up giving up uninvited x
Old 01-11-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Lorelei!!!!
How are you doing? So good to see you again. Glad to know you are ok!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlemelorelei View Post
Never give up giving up uninvited x
Hey Lorelei, Happy New Year 2 U.....LONG TIME NO HEAR!!! How are things going with you, would love to hear how your life is coming along. We miss you here with the class.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Thoughtful Tuesday Edition~~
~~Keep Planting Seeds~~

Today’s Daily Word is dedicated to planting seeds! It is a fact that there is no one way to be successful… But If you ever surveyed successful people I guarantee that most of them would have a similar story. They will tell you that they knew what they wanted, planned on how they were going to get it, went to work and many successes just came. They will explain that most of their success was a result of having a desire, planting the seed and allow that seed to blossom. They will also say that they didn’t stop to watch the seed blossom nor did they stop planting!

In order to gain any success in life you must be willing to plant seeds of success. It is impossible to teach what you don’t know, improbable to lead where you won’t go, and not likely to reap what you don’t sow. Life will give you back what you put into it! If you want abundance then begin to plant seeds of abundance! If you want happiness begin to plant seeds of happiness. The problem always lies in people wanting one thing but putting out the total opposite! Stop sabotaging yourself!

The HOW is none of your business! Concentrate on WHAT you want then do everything in your power to work towards it and I guarantee the HOW will reveal itself! You truly reap what you sow! Begin today sowing Greatness! The World is Yours and Nothing can Stop You!!

~~Healthy Snacks~~
“The first principle of success is desire – knowing what you want. Desire is the planting of your seed.”-Robert Collier

“Whatever we plant in our subconscious mind and nourish with repetition and emotion will one day become a reality.”-Earl Nightingale

“Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.”
-Robert Louis Stevenson

“The smallest seed of faith is better than the largest fruit of happiness.”-Henry David Thoreau

“Faith sees a beautiful blossom in a bulb, a lovely garden in a seed, and a giant oak in an acorn.”-William Arthur Ward

“Plant the seed of desire in your mind and it forms a nucleus with power to attract to itself everything needed for its fulfillment.”-Robert Collier

“The only way you can bring in the harvest in the fall is to plant in the spring, and to water, weed, fertilize in the summer”-Unknown
Old 01-15-2015, 09:36 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Hey classmates, I hope you are having a good start of 2015.

Hi Lorelei, good to see you again

Uninvited, we all know there's a certain social stigma connected with the alcoholic and I avoid the word when speaking of my drinking problem with family and closest friends, I only use it when here or in AA meetings and the like. None of us are losers, everyone has weaknesses as much as they have strengths, I consider alcohol to be my most significant weakness at the moment. It's how we manage our weakness that matters most.
These days if I get the question about drinking I say that I don't drink, if asked why I say that I get sick from it that the drawbacks far outweigh any benefits. End of discourse. Stay close to the january class as well as this one
Old 01-15-2015, 09:49 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with workaholic on this one. Whether you accept the mantle of alcoholic or not, or whether you accept that you're powerless or not, I think it's plain that drinking doesn't make you happy UI, and no matter how many times you go back to it, that's not going to change.

whatever you're self medicating for (and it really does sound like self medication to me) drinking's not the solution.

D
Old 01-15-2015, 09:49 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  
Administrator

Apologies for my long absense guys - was ill.

D