Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 32

Old 12-19-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

~~~Happy Holidaze 2 All~~~

Its been like a ghost town around here lately, so I hope everyone is doing well and getting prepared for the holiday season with your loved ones. If I don't communicate with you all over the festive season I wish you all health, wealth, ultimate love of self, gratitude and good will to all mankind. Please keep the Holidaze safe, sober and full of laughter, love and passion. Blessings 2 you all.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas to all my September Buddies..
Old 12-22-2014, 02:32 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas! I hope you guys are doing good.What are you going to do this Christmas? I am visiting my sis in London, flying there tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Yes, I do wish for all to have a safe, sober and joyful Christmas ! We have a truckload of relatives and friends staying with us this year which makes the house very busy indeed !
Old 12-22-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas, everyone! It will be the 6 of us on Christmas, just the way we like it. Thanksgiving is our big holiday to see extended family. Then our 17 -year-old daughter goes to London on the 27th with more than 200 other kids from her high school. If you see the London New Years Day parade, the marching band from Wisconsin is from her high school!

Hope everyone is doing well. I am thankful for all of you!
Old 12-22-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

We are just our family for Christmas too, but do have a family baptism happening the weekend before the kids go back to school. That will be travel in the car to husband's family. We will also have a visit with my brother's family, but only for an afternoon/evening.

Merry Christmas friends!
Old 12-23-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

~~~A Message For The Holidaze~~

I believe our holiday times should be wonderful and filled with lasting and enjoyable moments and memories. So how can we ensure that we come out of the holidays in January with great memories of the past month? Here are six thoughts that will help you experience the holidays the way they were intended to be experienced:

1. Be Temperate.
Holidays can be days of excess for many -- too much food, too many cookies and treats. Too much chocolate, schedules that are too busy. One thing that will help you enjoy the holidays is to be temperate. Enjoy the food. Enjoy the treats. Enjoy the busy schedule of activities and parties.

But also be disciplined enough to know when to hold back, when to say, "No". When we go overboard we regret it and loose the opportunity to fully experience that moment. But when we enjoy a little and refrain from going too far, then we can enjoy all that little piece of time has to offer.

2. Lower Your Expectations.
Much of the frustration people experience from the holidays is from setting their expectations too high. They expect too much from friends or family, and when they don't get what they want, they get frustrated. They expect presents to be perfect and when they aren't, they get frustrated or disappointed. Instead of having huge expectations this holiday season, just take it as it comes and enjoy what you can. And this brings me to my next point.

3. Enjoy What You Can and Ignore the Rest.
This holiday season, go with an attitude of knowing that things will be what they will be. You can't control other people or their actions. If a family member pushes the limits of your patience, ignore that and instead focus on how much you can enjoy the time you have with other family members. If things don't go perfectly - which they won't - then enjoy what you can and let the rest slide. You will feel a lot better about life if you can take all things a little easier.

4. Stay Out of Debt.
Debt is a killer. It will steal your enjoyment of life. Be sure to stay within your financial boundaries this holiday season. The last thing you want is to start the New Year with a deeper burden financially. Know where you are financially and stay within those limits. You don't have to impress anyone, just buy gifts that you can afford and express your heartfelt feeling in the giving of the gift.

5. Take Time for Yourself.
Be sure that no matter how busy you get, that you take time for yourself. Take time to read. Take a long bath if that relaxes you. Take a walk. Spend some time of quiet in front of a fire. Don't rush through the holidays and sap all of your energy. Your mind and body need to be reenergized, so be sure to take time to do so.

6. Focus on Your Spiritual Life.
Ultimately, no matter what tradition you come from, the holidays are historically days in which we focus on the spiritual. Men and women are created with a natural draw toward spiritual life. However, our culture today tends to stay away from a focus on the spiritual, and that has even crept into our holidays. Be sure to place an emphasis on building your spiritual life and growing in that area. This will help keep you grounded and able to deal with anything that may come your way.

Friends, we are coming to the end of another year. This time of year is another chance to remember the important truths of life and to enjoy time with dear friends and family.

May you experience the very best this holiday season and move into January better than ever!
~ Jim Rohn ~
Old 12-23-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Holidays to all the denizens of this thread

D
Old 12-24-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Merry Merry to you all! Christmas here in San Diego is warm and sunny - I'm wearing shorts here by my artificial tree. It's so warm I'm afraid a real tree will dry out and spontaneously combust. I'd have it no other way though. Snow is so white and pretty....yet a little too cold and wet for my taste.

Staying home this holiday season, family is here. Going to Disneyland on the day after Christmas. Should be the most crowded Disney ever! What I don't do for our children.

Working a lot ~ but getting a promotion next month! I'm excited about that.

I'm not sober and I have such mixed emotions about it all. I am not in a bad place though - I'll post about it after the first of the year when it's time to start anew.

My love to you all. Hope you have a very blessed holiday!
Old 12-24-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Congratulations to the promotion Lilian!
Old 12-24-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas Dee
Old 12-27-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Just thought I would check in and see if we can start up some conversation. I know I have been tempted a bit over the holidays. Last year I wanted to prove I could do it. Well, I proved it, so this year has been more about not disappointing myself. I still struggle with wishing I could drink in moderation. I have read enough on here and in other places to know that even if I did drink in moderation for a time I would eventually be back to where I was, or even worse. But I still miss drinking sometimes; the end of the day drink is what I miss most. And, yes, I know, it very rarely was one drink. I guess I miss something I never really had! Does this make sense to anyone? Just being honest here.

Hope everyone is doing great and enjoying the season. We have had a green Christmas in Wisconsin and I even went without a coat on Christams Day. Craziness. But I will not complain!
Old 12-27-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Merry ChrIstmas Gotgrace! I just got back from my sis in London. I didn't feel any teak urge to drink. But I did feel a certain sadness when walking past all those cozy and goofy pubs the english have. It's not for me unfortunately, I know how you feel. Just landed and on the train home, to my newly rediscovered sober existence. There has been light snowfall while I was in London. It's alittle charming, atleast 'til I get to driving tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

It got abit vague, I consider my sobriety to be a return to form of my teens, when I never drank.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Hey Grace and Workoholic

That's interesting about thinking of moderation. To be honest, my drinking days were so horrible, I dont think about it at all. Even during this season when we've been entertaining guests and going to dinners, it simply doesnt register. There are times when, like Workoholic, I do reminisce about the few good times I had with friends when drinking but it was the social aspect and not the drinking that I have fond memories of.

Grace, is it some sort of "escape" that you are reminiscing about when you think of moderation ? Whatever you do, pls pls heed all the adivce given about moderation. It simply doesnt work ! You just have to read the threads in the newbies page to realise what a delusion it is to think we can moderate !

Keep posting here. I do read this thread most days so I am here for you (and everyone ) !
Old 12-27-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  
Administrator

As long as you remember you're missing something you never actually had you'll be ok Grace

maybe thinking of some healthy ways to wind down at the end of the day could help?

D
Old 12-29-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

I also miss that thing I never had. And sadly, dabble in it and still am fighting the fight. So, no, guys, and gals, moderation never works.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:57 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Thoughtful Tuesday Edition~~
~~ Some Tuesday Thoughts~~

Remove yourself from negative situations and people. You do get to choose the people you willingly spend your time with or what you spend your time doing. If you always leave a place or people feeling drained, angry, dejected, or violated, then make a new choice.

Don't take it personally. Most of what others say or do is about them, not you. If you carry that to the next logical step, that also means that much of what you say about others is really about you.... hmmm..

Choose "true-to-self" over everything else. Whenever you need to make a choice, always take the path that is in harmony with your core values and beliefs.

Make mistakes, learn from them, laugh about them, and move along.

Treat everyone with the same level of respect you would give to yourself.

Be yourself, be love, be anything you wish for.

Be positive, smile, and make it count. Pretend today is going to be great. Do so, and it will be.

You need much less than you think you need to be happy, and you usually have a lot more than you think you have.

As Friedrich Nietzsche so profoundly said, “He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.” Your purpose is your ‘why.’

Selflessly helping someone is a super powerful way to feel good inside.

Happiness is valuing what you have and enjoying the people, places, objects and events in your life for what they are. ~Karina Loureiro~
Old 12-30-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Good one, Blk !
Old 12-30-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy New Year Everyone

D