Class of August 2013 - Part 13

Old 08-12-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats sheknits - and to anyone else whose big day I missed while I was away

D
Old 08-13-2014, 12:57 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Ha ha V, I think I recognize that flower..
Old 08-13-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Congrats Sheknits...1 year is an important milestone and achievement that few people are able to do.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Sheknits! I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling flat. I have heard that the not caring or feeling so much could be a side effect of ssri's. The way it was described to me is that the depression or anxiety lessens and becomes manageable, but the flip side could be that a numbness prevails. I hope that sorts itself out. I think it's interesting that you and Else are feeling the same side effects as regards to knitting.

I am at my parents' house and tomorrow we will fly to North Carolina to stay for a few days. Both of my sisters are coming too and I'm really excited. When I get back, the semester will be getting underway. Can't believe the summer has gone by so fast...I've thoroughly enjoyed it!

We will be in the mountains in NC, so I'm not sure about Internet access. If you don't hear from me, I'll check back in on Tuesday!

And, right now I'm staying in the guest house at my parents' house and there is beer and wine in the fridge and JD and more wine in the cabinet. Just realizing that this is the first time that I've been alone with alcohol since I quit drinking. I have to say that it feels empowering to not want it and to trust myself enough at this point not to feel the need to remove it all to another location. Am enjoying some mint tea and looking forward to a hangover-free long weekend.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Ha ha V, I think I recognize that flower..
Yep, this is from when I went to Portland for work and had the pleasure of meeting our own Advbike, a get-together also known as "Driving Miss Venecia."

The photo for SheKnits was taken in Portland's beautiful Rose Garden.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
Congratulations, Sheknits! I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling flat. I have heard that the not caring or feeling so much could be a side effect of ssri's. The way it was described to me is that the depression or anxiety lessens and becomes manageable, but the flip side could be that a numbness prevails. I hope that sorts itself out. I think it's interesting that you and Else are feeling the same side effects as regards to knitting.

I am at my parents' house and tomorrow we will fly to North Carolina to stay for a few days. Both of my sisters are coming too and I'm really excited. When I get back, the semester will be getting underway. Can't believe the summer has gone by so fast...I've thoroughly enjoyed it!

We will be in the mountains in NC, so I'm not sure about Internet access. If you don't hear from me, I'll check back in on Tuesday!

And, right now I'm staying in the guest house at my parents' house and there is beer and wine in the fridge and JD and more wine in the cabinet. Just realizing that this is the first time that I've been alone with alcohol since I quit drinking. I have to say that it feels empowering to not want it and to trust myself enough at this point not to feel the need to remove it all to another location. Am enjoying some mint tea and looking forward to a hangover-free long weekend.
I'm so proud of you, Kadidee.

At this moment, I am having a caffeine-free cup of Earl Grey and am lifting a toast to you.

North Carolina sounds like so much fun! Will you be in the mountains? The coast?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

In honor of us being brought together by August (in name, if not exactly the date we all joined SR), I am sharing a favorite photo for everyone.

This one is for Else -- taken, appropriately, in Oregon. Else, I look at it and see metaphors for you and your journey. Resilient trees, lifting clouds, an ocean that is both calming and powerful.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Congratulations Sheknits, might have to change your name!!
I think it's healthy for you to stop your SSRI's and see how you feel. My doc had given me that advice last spring. I stopped them because I felt so good..however, within six weeks I felt depression coming back. I restarted them and feel much better. You should discuss this with your doctor as maybe a different dose would work better. I take a very low dose , but have learned I need it!
As for knitting , I work on projects regularly....i find knitting and watching tv in the evening relaxing..I tend to feel anxious if I can't keep my hands busy doing something. Also , it's rewarding to me to be alert in the evening and able to concentrate.
House guess are doing good! Found menu for dieter ! A little worried when she tells me how she would love to live HERE!
Old 08-13-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Great shot V!

JD, the book by De Mello is amazing. I'm about a third of the way through. Savoring it. Challenges a lot of preconceptions, if not all of them. I had only read a few chapters when I was taking a sauna and experienced some significant paradigm shifts in my thinking and perception of my current and past relationships. This is leading to a real breakthrough for me, and just in time I might add. Thanks again for the recommendation.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
I'm so proud of you, Kadidee.

At this moment, I am having a caffeine-free cup of Earl Grey and am lifting a toast to you.

North Carolina sounds like so much fun! Will you be in the mountains? The coast?
Duh, I missed that you will be in the mountains. Have a great time!
Old 08-14-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Working nights tonight Just received a patient that is in severe alcohol withdrawal, I'm observing the patient and following our withdrawal protocol. If that doesn't put things into perspective I don't know what would!
Thankful to be here sharing with you all and embarking on another year together!
Old 08-14-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Sheknits, Your experience with your patient just reminded me of where I was I was last August about this time: Acute detox. (Shudder) What a painful experience that was. I am in such a different place now. I know I have not been clean for the whole year. I lost a couple of weeks in June. I have felt abashed by that but I'm giving myself credit for how far I have come. I'm hardly even the same person I was a year ago. I have been considerably changed by the experience of this year. I rarely feel any cravings any more and if I do they are fleeting. I can't say I'm the happiest person in the world but I'm calm and not having a lot of emotional ups and downs. That really is enough for now. But it's.....dare I say, dull? And I'm restless. I'm searching all around for something to be passionate about. Nothing seems to be presenting itself. So I keep trying this and that. I'm thinking of making a quilt. But all I've done is wander the fabric stores so far.

Venecia, thank you for the picture of the lovely Oregon beach. I've ridden horseback out there and it was breathtaking, it was so fun and very romantic. Now that's something I'd like to do again!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Great shot V!

JD, the book by De Mello is amazing. I'm about a third of the way through. Savoring it. Challenges a lot of preconceptions, if not all of them. I had only read a few chapters when I was taking a sauna and experienced some significant paradigm shifts in my thinking and perception of my current and past relationships. This is leading to a real breakthrough for me, and just in time I might add. Thanks again for the recommendation.
I am so glad Advbike. I too have been studying the book. It really does challenge everything in such a truthful way. As if the book is the scalpel that I need to do the deep surgery on myself.

Well folks, I just got through 3 days of a major conference with excess all around me. I made it through and feel a sense of peace. Heading to our cottage this weekend for a few weeks of R&R
Old 08-14-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Well, I just posted some thoughts about a year of sobriety in the Newcomers Forum. (You guys know me ... brevity has never been my strong suit!)

For some reason, I wanted to get it out on the anniversary of my last drink. Anyway, it felt good to share and hopefully it helps some of the newer folks or those who are struggling.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Well, I just posted some thoughts about a year of sobriety in the Newcomers Forum.
Congratulations Venecia! You've earned your ticket to Stories of Recovery.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Else, why not plan an early Fall trip to the coast with your husband? The weather is always nice in early September. Do some riding and just have a change of scenery.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Nice post V. Congrats! You pulled off a year with a lot of grace and courage. Not many complaints from the Twin Cities, just one foot in front of the other, one step at a time. Typical Minnesotan.. no turnin' back once yer mind's made up, ha ha. And that zip lining business? Don't be gettin' too wild up there in those north woods.. lol. Have fun in year number two V!
Old 08-14-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Thanks, Adv. I gotta tell you, I *really* like ziplining!

Yeah, I think I'm pretty Norwegian *and* Midwestern. Sometimes I wish it wasn't that way ... I repress a lot, too, and that is not good.

But I'm mostly OK being me.

How is the trip?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Fine. Always a different reality over here. In many dimensions. And layer on the De Mello, which challenges much of what we've been conditioned to believe, and I guess you could say things are bit surreal lately, lol. But it's all good. I was not content with my life before. I had everything.. and nothing. This is really good for me.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Congratulations V!!!