Administrator

Class of August 2013 - Part 13

Continues from here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-12-a-20.html

D
Old 07-25-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Re. your post(s) in last thread JD, I suspect Buffet breaks the mold...

Warren Buffett, Billionaire, Still Lives In Modest Omaha Home Which Cost $31,500 In 1958 (PHOTO)

Gates, not so much. I miss Steve, my kinda (almost) hippie guy. Was about my age too (and Gates) . Of course, I outlived him; na-na-na-na-na, lol.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't believe the details are important. I live in what many would consider an estate. I have no intention ever of selling. I love it. Being successful and contributing back to society does not mean being a martyr. Jobs, whip you are referring to is on record saying he would never give up the corp jet privileges. If you have flown private I doubt you would too...it is one of the nicer things in life to drive right up to your plane at a local airport vs going through security and navigating around big airports etc.

Buffet is addicted to the game though...he is a workaholic, as most of these billionaire are. I have never met Buffet but heard him speak. I have met Ted Turner, Richard Branson, Larry Ellison...its interesting most of these men don't drink but are anything but balanced. At some point in our lives many of us wonder if this is it. It gets to existentialism.

I have closed billions of dollars worth of transitions. But I preferred the text from my new sponsee the other day where he said he had hope for the first time after our first session going through the steps.

I am personally fearful that sobriety for me and this energy I have is my newest addiction and therefore unsustainable. I need to perhaps do a fear inventory on this?

Got off on a tangent. Sorry class.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

JD and Else, your posts this week have been very helpful to me, thank you! Amazing to see many of us on the same page
I'm working on the things that are robbing me of happiness :
1. fluctuating mood, any tips? Trying to stay in the moment!
2. Letting go of baggage that I can't do anything about
3. Embracing this quieter peaceful me and encouraging it to grow.
4. not letting Oceanfellars alcohol use anger me!
Feels good to identify my needs! Thanks for listening to me!
Old 07-25-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OL - I found Rational Recovery a great technique to identify addictive behaviors and remove something from my life, such as processed sugar, wheat, cigarettes. I use these techniques daily. However, the threads of addiction run deep in me. They permeate every cell at a quantum level. So AA's steps have accomplished for me everything that you are asking.

I believe anger is a manifestation of fear and a resentment is a manifestation of anger. So peeling the onion and getting rid of our fears and resentments and developing a faith in this process is how I have recovered (past tense). I work hard on a daily basis to stay in the moment. I don't always succeed and when I don't or I develop a fear or resentment I need to take inventory of that and release it that evening during my prayer and subsequent meditation.

I have let go of my wife. Ironically its this letting go that is allowing our relationship to grow. I don't manipulate her for my own selfish motives, which caused her to resent me. I am finding life full of paradoxes and acceptance and letting go and trusting everything will be alright key to my serenity.

... grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to understand the difference.

That sort of sums up happiness for me - no longer is it euphoria - that was addiction. I just love this passage by Anthony De Mello:

Isn't that a paradox? And you're willing to let this cloud come in, because the more you fight it, the more power you give it. You're willing to observe it as it passes by. You can be happy in your anxiety. Isn't that crazy? You can be happy in your depression. But you can't have the wrong notion of happiness. Did you think happiness was excitement or thrills? That's what causes the depression. Didn't anyone tell you that? You're thrilled, all right, but you're just preparing the way for your next depression. You're thrilled but you pick up the anxiety behind that: How can I make it last? That's not happiness, that's addiction.

Why do you think you are angered by OF drinking? Are you jealous? Are you concerned for his health? Are you upset he cannot look himself in the mirror like you and recognize his problem (assuming he has one)?

I found it was easier for me to look at those around me in early recovery and diagnose them. I could fix everyone but me. The hardest thing I ever did was stare into the mirror and have to look directly into my eyes and who I really am. When I was able to do this honestly and accept me then I was ready to start recovering.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

After rereading your text OL, my apologies - I thought you were asking but you were stating your experience and what is working - congrats. I am happy for you, well done. Seems like we are both experiencing similar benefits through different courses, which is what is so great about this class and the diversity!!!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am going camping for a couple days so will be away from the interwebs. Happy sober weekend everyone! I do believe we have more 11 month anniversaries tomorrow and Sunday.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
I am going camping for a couple days so will be away from the interwebs. Happy sober weekend everyone! I do believe we have more 11 month anniversaries tomorrow and Sunday.
Have fun Kadi. I love camping. I hope the weather is good for you.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Happy 11 months Advbike! 11 is such a weird one. Safe travels and enjoy Thailand. I head there in September.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks JD, yes 11 months is totally weird. I don't even want to acknowledge it.. just want to get to a year, lol.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Thanks JD, yes 11 months is totally weird. I don't even want to acknowledge it.. just want to get to a year, lol.
Advbike, have a great time in Asia! Post pics when you can.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kadidee View Post
Kadidee, enjoy camping! We leave tomorrow for a week in Maine. We've rented a house on an island in Penobscot Bay. It will be nice to put a sweater on at night.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Orn - Maine is going to be so amazing sober. Treat yourself to a nice cake Sunday or a long run!
Old 07-25-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

JD thanks so very much for your post..no apologies needed...I have NEVER opened up this far to anyone in my life. I am beginning to feel that lifted lite feeling you described! I even have backed off OF...your right ,some things you can't change!
11 mo tomorrow !! Yes looking forward to the 1 yr...
Old 07-25-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh, Maine is amazing sober!
Old 07-25-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am personally fearful that sobriety for me and this energy I have is my newest addiction and therefore unsustainable.
I like to deal in rock bottom basics these days.

An addiction depletes.

I understand your caution, but I think if it's enriching you (and to me it seems to be) then it's not an addiction, JD

congrats to you Oceanlady on your milestone...and congrats to any others who's achievements I've missed due to real life incursions lately

have a good weekend everyone

D
Old 07-25-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I like to deal in rock bottom basics these days.

An addiction depletes.

I understand your caution, but I think if it's enriching you (and to me it seems to be) then it's not an addiction, JD

D
This is the clearest expression I have seen on this subject. Thank you Dee. My running is not an addiction but my drinking was.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on 11 Orn
Old 07-27-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Congrats on 11 Orn
Thanks jdooner, I think today is eleven months for you, so congrats. Pretty amazing.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats JD! Enjoy your day