Notices

Class of August 2013 - Part 13

Old 08-23-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Way to go Kadi. I just came from my Saturday morning men's group meeting. First one in over a month. I could feel my anxiety wash away as I sat there listening to all of these real men sharing their fears, concerns and successes.

Tomorrow is one year from my last drink but there's still lots of work to be done here... for those of us for whom drinking was just a symptom of a greater problem, it's a long journey... but I'm happy and grateful every day to be on it.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

I have one year today. I posted it under the sober weekender's thread, but I also lurk around here since I quit August 23, 2013.

I'm hosting a keg party at my place to celebrate, so if I can just get past that, I'm in the clear....(just kidding).
Old 08-23-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Congrats thenewguy. And advbike, congrats a day early; are you still in Asia or back home?
Old 08-23-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Dave!

Glad to know you're joking about the kegger.

Please come by more often. It would be nice to hear your perspectives and, if you'd like, a little more about you.

Venecia

Old 08-23-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Congrats to you AVbike! We all have challenges to work on for the second year. Glad to be on the journey with you!
Old 08-23-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Hey all!! Congrats on those that made to a year... And to those making it to a hour sober!

I can't believe I've made it this far. I cried for three days... This has been a crazy yr...

I had to come back here... Where it all stared... With out it and you guys.. I'd most likely be dead.

Thank you again and congrats......
Old 08-24-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Congrats, Advbike! Here's to you, our peaceful friend. Continue to find beauty all around you.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Thanks Orn, yes I'm back.. thanks Oceanlady! And thanks V, for the beautiful shot of the Japanese Garden.. Yes there is beauty everywhere, we just need to open our eyes to it.

I'm looking out at my beautiful forest this morning and feeling very grateful indeed. For the beauty in this moment, for all of you guys, my sobriety, my travels, and even for the challenges ahead. Thank you.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Attachment 24534

Last edited by advbike; 02-03-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Congrats, thenewguy and hello, Caged Turtle!

Advbike, congrats a day early! Glad to hear you're back safely from your trip.

Yesterday I inadvertently ended up in the middle of beer fest. Gross! I had gone downtown with a friend for some coffee and there were so many people walking around and drinking in the street. I hadn't been downtown in so long, I thought well maybe this is what a Saturday night looks like these days. But no, we got to a street where it was blocked off from cars and there were constables on horse back and it clicked...beer fest. I heard so many snippets of drunk conversations and thought wow, I'm sure I sounded like that and worse. It was not fun at all. We got our coffee and made a hasty retreat. The irony tickles me. The one night I choose to go down there, I wind up in the middle of crazy drunk people.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Congrats Advbike...last night I lost power in our cottage. I walked out to our front deck and looked up, what an amazing night. The stars just popped. I was able to see several shooting stars, a fast moving satellite the big dipper and several planets - all without the telescope. Humbling to say the least.

My addictions have been coming out this past week. I feel the turmoil more and my diet has suffered slightly. My wife keeps telling me I am on vacation but I can feel the turbulence. This is the first time in 18 years I have been sober here. My best friend arrives mid week with his two boys and the watersports will begin. I take delivery of a new boat today (definitely a manifestation of my addictions).

I feel a sense of peace on the horizon though, so I am focusing on this.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Thanks Kadi! The beer festival sounds pretty bad, lol. You've really come a long way. Sorry to hear that the AV still hits you once in a while, but it seems that you're dealing well with it.

JD, thanks. The night sky experience at your cottage sounds great. I get the same feeling when I'm up in Bend sometimes. The stars are so bright that it feels like you're on the edge of the world.

I've almost completed De Mello's book. What a powerful read. Challenges so much of what we've been taught and conditioned to think. Some parallel concepts to Tolle but far more down to earth and readable in his stories. Yet just as powerful if not more so, in challenging our perceptions. Thanks again for the recommendation.

I am back to AA meetings and stepwork. I believe it's the only way I will experience a spiritual awakening and be able to let go of my emotional pain, which feeds my anxiety, and obsessions. I'm simply carrying too much baggage from my past that I can't seem to let go of. It is crippling my ability to move forward and fully experience the joys of life.

On another note, I am giving up coffee today. I have finally acknowledged and admitted my addiction. I'm powerless, lol. I simply cannot moderate it, and it's causing me some problems, not the least being that the caffeine feeds my anxiety, lol. It won't be easy because I enjoy the entire experience - the beans, the aroma, the taste..

So I've decided to make this part of my year two plan. I'm switching to tea.. black first, then green, over the next few weeks. I already reduced my caffeine content by reducing my coffee intake on my Asia trip. Hope to end up drinking a couple cups of green tea per day. I'll let you know how it goes, lol.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Advbike - I will send you a PM on a bit more of how I achieved my spiritual experiences....all were triggered by new emotional bottoms. Not sure if mine came from my steps specifically but my step 4 was quite powerful and triggered some very intense dreams for about a week straight. There have been four dreams over the past year that I believe are meaningful.

Anyhow, I just got back from a 3 mile SUP paddle and did some yoga on the SUP board too. I am not a huge yogi but doing it on a surfboard on a moving base is a bit of a challenge. I was able to do a headstand and a crow pose on the board, which made me feel good.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
I am not a huge yogi but doing it on a surfboard on a moving base is a bit of a challenge. I was able to do a headstand and a crow pose on the board, which made me feel good.
LMAO! That's awesome man..

And thanks for the other info, I look forward to it.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Happy anniversary, Oceanlady! What a year it's been -- for you and all the 'gang.'

Old 08-26-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Happy Day to you, Oceanlady! Well done. I picture you on that beach with those seagulls. Congratulations!
Old 08-26-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

I'm picturing me on that beach too. Looks muy fresco!
Old 08-26-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Hey , thanks everyone! Yes! Great beach day! Those seagulls are after my sandwich!

Lots of reflecting today thinking how much better I feel today than a year ago today..I remember driving home from camp and making the decision to quit...I had made that decision before but never went longer than two weeks! Then there had been the drink log! Write down how many drinks per day!! I know I would not have done this without my SR pals!
Old 08-26-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

My trans-Atlantic sail has been postponed until next fall. We had two guys drop out for good reasons and rather than scramble to find two new crew, the boat owner decided to move the sail to next fall when everyone can do the trip. It was the right call but still a disappointment.

Today is one year sober for me. It doesn't really feel any different than any other day, but I have never been big on birthdays or anniversaries of any kind. I think I am spending more time looking forward than looking back. The past year has been first year of my adult life not spent drunk every day, and it was the best year of my life for that same reason. I'm really looking forward to year two.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Way to go Orn! Sorry to hear about your trip.