Notices

Class of March 2013 part 30

Old 07-31-2014, 03:02 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

That sounds fantastic, Life.

Great to hear from you, MeSo! Congratulations on your excellent sobriety stretch. It is great that you were able to resist temptation while housesitting for whatever reasons--hey! You got the job done! By any means necessary!

I'm glad you "played hardball" with the rental agency, Sass, and got the better part of what you wanted.

Shoes and Budd, good job on sticking to the no smoking pledge. Shoes, you sound remarkably calm and together for someone who's only been quit for three days!

This might be premature thinking for you guys, but often people put on weight when they stop smoking. I did--so eventually I resumed smoking so I could drop the weight. Guess what? Didn't work--I was just a fat smoker!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Update; it's late 1am so I won't linger.........but half hour after I posted my last post, I text an AA member enquiring if we could poss talk sometime again about AA, steps etc as other day when she called I was rushing between jobs. It so happened she was going and chairing a meeting tonight. Within half an hour she collected me and before I knew it, I was at a meeting. It was a steps meeting, which is most def not a meeting I wanted to attend as a beginner......but, because she knew it was my first, she announced, without pointing fingers that there was someone in the room new and so the focus was on step one.

Not sure I get the steps yet, not sure if AA is going to be the thing for me........but to be honest, after listing to everyone tonight, I learned to identify to the comparisons more than I did the differences. I'm actually looking forward to my next meeting. Hoping I can find somewhere tomorrow.

OK, LP way past bed time. Nitey nite and sending love to all Marchers.

x
Old 07-31-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Fantastic Life! Your post made me smile
Old 07-31-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Good on you Life, I really hope you find a niche in AA, as I have always believed that f2f support will be of much more help than just being here.

Sass, way to stick up for yourself

Snaggs, allow yourself to grieve as you would the loss of any close friend and stay close rather than drink

Keep up the good work Budd and Shoes.

Hugs fellow Marchers! Xx
Old 07-31-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

I'm glad you got swept up to a meeting after all, Life! Give a few different ones a try. In all groups, it's normal to feel odd at first. Don't be quick to give up. You never know when somebody will say something really tailor-made to your ears.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers MeSo it's great to see you and thank you for your nice compliment. Have you made some of those journals? I'd love to see a photo.

We've had a week of ridiculously warm days which will come to a swift end later today when, apparently, we'll be reminded of what winter is. I'm looking forward to a quietish weekend this weekend after the last one -- I have some friends coming for lunch on Sunday but we'll be 5 as opposed to 32.

I've been meaning to tell you all that Mr Marcher is continuing to make good progress, his exercise program at the medical gym has been accelerated twice since the heart attack so that means his strength and endurance is increasing. Because of medical rules around anaesthetics he can't have a regular biopsy of the prostate so will have an MRI in a few weeks. His attitude and outlook is excellent.

Life it's good to hear about the meeting, it sounds to me like this may be a real help for you.

Have a good day everyone -- and Sass, hang in there!!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

That's great about Mr. Marcher!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Good updates from everyone.

Great for Mr Marcher. I'm glad he is feeling better and in good spirits. He sounds like he has a great positive attitude. Can't underestimate a positive attitude.

I'm glad you got to that meeting Life. I think that was very nice of the group to start at step 1. Give it a chance. I think you will meet some nice people to do fun sober things with. If you hear something you don't connect with at first just think to yourself...well that's an interesting way to look at something. Then think about it your way. I've found most things I may not understand or get or completely agree with usually have some dimension I can make sense of. Even if it's just being appreciative of the fact there are many ways to someone's truth...even if it may not be mine. It's still offers something.

This quitting smoking is a little bit similar to how I felt in the beginning when I quit drinking. Except for the fact that when I quit drinking I allowed myself to eat as much ice cream as I wanted because I figured it was an even calorie exchange. Wine vs ice cream. Plus I was more miserable then. This is easier. Not nearly the emotional roller coaster ride. Just more thoughts popping in my head to smoke more often than thoughts to drink. I didn't drink every 30 minutes like I did smoking so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I'm being pretty careful not to confuse the empty feeling left by not smoking with food Gilmer. It can feel like hunger but really it's not. It's just the hole left behind that needs time to fill with positive things...not food. I may gain a few pounds but I'm actually focusing on maintaining and even so far as to say, screw it...I'm going to lose 5 just to prove its possible. I walk for breaks at work so every day I'm walking 45 minutes. And I'm not eating anything not natural. Anything that goes in my mouth has to be a fruit, vegetable, or lean protein. If I can't pronounce it. I don't eat it.

Anyhoo...enough about me.

How ya doing Trach and Duff! Yo, Toots. What's up?
xoxo
Old 07-31-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Yeah, Trach. Are you ever going to share, or has the moment passed?
Old 07-31-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Evening, Marchers.

It's been a while I guess, so here's a list of things I've done since my last post:

1. Helped my gf host her house warming party. I cooked for 20 people. Made truffled mac & cheese, meatball sliders and chicken/veggie kebobs. Everything from scratch. Got to meet all her friends. It was a lot of fun but very tiring. There was alcohol there, but barely anyone drank. My gf was giving away bottles of wine at the end because she won't drink them either. She did have a half pint of bourbon but I asked if I could put it away in the cupboard. Just holding that small plastic bottle in made hand made me feel uncomfortable. I used to put those back like candy. Then one of her friends showed up really late and proceeded to drink an entire bottle of wine by herself. It was just the three of us at that point. I could see every stage of drunkeness as she drank. First the louder taking, then the lisp, slurring of speech and finally just nonsensical. Honestly did not look fun in the slightest. This girl grilled me on why I wasn't drinking so I broke out the truth. All of it. I'm not sure how much she enjoyed her wine as I regaled her with tales of the ICU and rehab lol. But all in all, a great night. Her friends loved me of course.

2. I became the GSR (General Service Representative) for my home group and I got to go to the district meeting.

3. I spoke again in the detox unit at the hospital where I almost died. I love going back there now.

4. I went to the dentist. Still no cavities.

5. Tonight, I went to an ice cream sundae party for my friend who was celebrating his 5 year sober anniversary. We played just played party games and hung out.

6. Found out one of my good friends got a job working with my brother. It's a bit weird to have my AA life bleed over into other facets, but I'm happy for my friend.

Things I have not done:

1. Quit nicotine. Good luck Bud and Shoes! I actually splurged and bought a fancy new vaporizer for my e-liquid. Just not ready to give it up yet. I keep telling myself e-cigs are still far safer than smoking. Maybe that's holding me back from quitting all together. I'll get there when I get there.

2. Lied. My mom told me at dinner last weekend that she can't remember the last time I lied. I think that's one of the nicest things she's ever said to me.

3. Worked out. I have the ok from my doctor, but I am just so busy, I'm having trouble setting aside time to get to the gym. I'm hoping the renovated gym that opens in a few weeks will inspire me to get off my butt.

4. Drank. Self-explanatory.

LTP - good luck with AA. I'm glad you're giving it a fair shot. It's not only saved my life, but given me an amazing new one full of great sober friends, fulfilling service work and a greatly improved outlook on life. I'm not religious, I'm stubborn, and I don't like rules. But it still worked for me. Definitely try out those women's meetings. Men's meetings are extremely helpful to me and all my female friends say the same about the women's meetings

Hope everyone else is well. I'm going to have to be like Meso and not make any promises about posting regularly, but know that I think about all of you every single day and look forward to the free time when I have a chance to check in.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

DD, what a blast to hear from you!

So glad the housewarming party went well! I'll bet your cuisine was delicious--I can't imagine it any other way! Glad about everything you posted! When the time is right, you'll put away the e-cigs, too--but no rush.

That is wonderful, so wonderful, that your mother commended you for not lying. Sobriety is so astronomically more than just not drinking, isn't it?

All I can say is "wonderful, great," etc. Don't you ever get tired of hearing superlatives?
Old 08-01-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

DD, good to "see" you! Love hearing how great things are going for you.

Good job, Shoes & Ken!! I was a social smoker - as in only smoked when I was drinking which was quite actually quite a lot! But then one day when I was maybe 30 I finally stopped but man was it hard. You're doing great!!!!

MeSo! Love when you stop by.

Marcher, so glad to hear how well Mr. M. is doing!!

Sass, today is the day!!! Stay calm and let us know how it's going - xoxo

Lots to do today - already walked the dogs now have to get in the shower and get going. Hope everyone is having a great weekend or start to the weekend.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Digdug, I use a vaporizer, too. Been on it 2.5 years. Probably saved my lungs. I think it's far less addictive than burning tobacco. I feel like I can put it down anytime. I haven't yet but it feels that way.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

DD, how great to hear from you, i'm echoing Gilmers post. You don't need to check in daily if you don't need to. I've tried both checking in daily.....and not. for me at this moment i'm learning that checking in daily is the right thing to do, along with attending AA as much as possible.

I went to my second meeting this evening, 5pm, straight from work. After last nights meeting I felt brave enough to walk through those doors on my own.....I even "shared" as they say......I had the courage to speak and tell a bit of my story.

It's bizarre, i've always had my doubts......but, for the first time in a long time, my phone is ting tinging with texts.......i'd stopped receiving texts because i'd lost all my friends, my only texts came as reminders for Dr appointments or hair appointments!

I'm talking about me a lot and i'm going to break the 'S" rule........i'm sorry for talking about me but i am presently so happy for finally giving in and attending the groups. I'm like a child ATM, I just can't wait for the next meeting. I've two planned for tomorrow.....check me out, who would have ever have thought.

To all of you doubters and hovering out there, please, join us back here in the Marchers 13 SR, utilise the support and give any advice a shot. It's early days for me but I can't explain the difference a few days of sobriety and a couple of meetings have made to my general psyche.

Big shout out to all Marchers.

Much love
J
Old 08-01-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Life, that is so great!
Old 08-01-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Just so my Marchers know: that's one month booze free for me. As I said a week or so ago, we're in uncharted territory, every day is a new record so I just kinda let em slide on by. Better Living Though Chemistry has been pivotal this time as has ICCC. Better Living Through SR and The Marchers has been crucial. I couldn't keep succeeding without y'all.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Trach!
Old 08-01-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Congratulations Trachy, I bet your folks are so proud if you, I am happy to be a part of your journey, it's great having you back as a regular on SR.

Life, keept hat positive thinking channeled hon, I hope you find a meeting that you really feel at home in.

DD, how wonderful to hear from you and what an awesome post. I take it things are getting serious with GF, it's been a while now? Of course her friends loved you, your journey to find your real self in sobriety has made huge changes in the genuineness with which you interact with people.

Gilmer my dear friend, how are you doing? How's the change in meds going? Xx

Shoes, Budd, Kudos, I found stopping smoking tough but like stopping drinking, once if decided that was it, well... That was it! I put on weight even though I was very conscientious about what I ate or drank, I feel smoking affects the metabolism. It certainly make changes in the receptors in the brain as I have been learning on my new course, But I still felt I'd rather be heavier than a smoker.

Sass, I hope the move is going ok, post when you can.

Marcher, great news on Mr Marcher, hopefully the prostate scan is positive too.

Hope you have a great weekend too Duff.

1day, how are you doing??

Mesoso, see you whenever you feel like dropping in honey, a little of you is better than none of you!

Wehave, that goes for you too hun. Hope you enjoy your vaca. Xx
Old 08-01-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

What a nice morning! Lots of happy news everywhere!

Hi DD! Great to hear from you! Excellent boyfriend skills you got going there! I'm sure all her friends said you were a keeper.

Wow Life! Fantastic. I'm so happy you are excited about your meetings. Run with it! I have no doubt you are going to take away some good stuff there and meet great and interesting people.

Congrats Trachy! The turtle does win the race with patience and perseverance. Wait, that may be the tortoise and that's not quite the same thing is it? But it's close. This not drinking ain't so bad now is it? Pretty darn good actually. Well done.

Oh, I think those vaporizers are like coffee. So not like smoking. If you want a little nicotine hit just like someone may want a caffeine hit...voila, vaporize. Far far better than smoking. It ain't the nicotine that causes all the problems. It's all the smokey burning stuff. Maybe they should make a vaporizer that looks like a coffee cup. Haha

Later

xoxo
Old 08-01-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Hi, Toots!

I'm an emotional nutcase with this med withdrawal, but I'm getting through it OK. Today I felt fine when I woke up--but then I had a cup of coffee--just one--and I felt like I was going to pass out. I feel very dizzy, my head is chattering, and my tongue feels like pins and needles!

Oh, well--I've been wanting to give up coffee for years (because I'm an addict there, too!). I guess now's the time. Might as well get the withdrawal headaches out of the way while I'm already suffering, eh?

I did get out and go for a walk today, though. For the second day in a row I got within three feet of a rabbit--and he didn't bolt!