Notices

Class of May 2014 Part 2

Old 05-24-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Yeah, meeting people who have beaten this addiction would be great! I feel very compromised in terms of meetings and what I can/can't do because of my work. This is not something they can know about.

In one sense I'm lucky that I have GAD so my problems/time off can be put down to that. Any counselling will be put down due to GAD also - my doctor is fab!
Old 05-24-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

I need a high degree of anonymity also. It is a major issue for me, having to keep secrets.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GwenCummings View Post
I need a high degree of anonymity also. It is a major issue for me, having to keep secrets.
It's tough but I cannot compromise my work because of drinking. I've been covering it for some time but would never go into work if I didn't feel capable of doing it.

I thought I saw someone from work at the centre on Monday but the doctor was great - she said people attend there for lots of reasons. Worried about a friend drinking/ volunteering etc... So that they would never reveal my true reason for attending. That helped.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Day 9. Have my sister my 6 yr old nephew and their new golden retriever puppy comming this morning and staying until Monday. I was up late last night cooking and straightening out the place. Went to sleep in my comfy bed but just woke up to find myself on the couch with the remnants of chocolate chip cookies!!! I don't remember getting up --- weird. Anyway everyone have a great day!!
Old 05-24-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in here and to say all is well. A lot going on with my dad (just out of hospital) and partner (just quit her job!) etc..Feels like life is rather challenging just now. No resorting to the booze though!
Old 05-24-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay true Mentium

D
Old 05-24-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

That is a lot of stress, Mentium, but you will handle it all so much better sober.

I am feeling better today, but have a cough that has me up since about 5am. Oh well. I do not have a hangover, and feel pretty good otherwise. So, figured I would get up and enjoy some quiet time. We have a relaxed weekend with nothing on the schedule other than a playdate, trying to see a movie or two with the kids, have a fire, make some good food.

When I am sober, I realize how much energy I have always had in the mornings.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat regarding aa and work. It unfortunately isn't an option this time around. That's why this site is fantastic. It is helping me so much. Just reading others posts is keeping me on the right track. And it's keeping gratitude for sobriety in the forefront of my mind. Whoever created this site is brilliant.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Good morning Day 7
Ughhhhh this weekend is a long weekend, plus it's warm and we're doing yard work. So of course alcohol comes to my mind. I'm remembering how much fun I have in the summertime drinking outside. Trying to deflect that by thinking about how ill I felt last Saturday after I drank. I don't drink anymore, I don't drink anymore, I don't drink anymore.....
Old 05-24-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

2 weeks sober today, and I know I wont drink this weekend. Being sober is so much easier than being drunk.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Well done on 2weeks lost, that's great going! Things are easier sober, Im on day 9 and things that seemed unmanageable this time last week seem less of a nightmare now, that's the fallacy of drinking, we drink to escape but in truth it just magnifies our problems.

Hope you get through ok anewpage, its a bank holiday weekend over here and a usual time to drink alcoholically without standing out too much! We're all in the same boat and it is worth sticking with it- things WILL get easier for us all.

Regarding the AA anonymity stuff, Ive just been to a meeting this morning and there the first share was by someone who had these fears of getting 'seen' there (he had a VERY responsible job), he even went to meetings out of town in his early years but, with time he's learned that there is no shame in it and that it is an illness we're suffering from. Was a really inspiring talk and its set me up well for weekend, I can understand everyones' concerns though.

Feeling strangely calm today and for the first time in ages Im starting to actually believe that I can have a life without booze and a happy one at that. There will be ups and downs I know and it can creep up on me when I get too content so I must be on guard- but Im clinging on to this feeling Ive got today. Stay strong everyone.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Glad you're feeling better Rochele. x
Old 05-24-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Day 1

Old 05-24-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 1 supersonic. Glad to meet you.

On day 10 myself. Gorgeous sunny afternoon, listening to baseball on the radio sipping iced tea with a LOT of ice.

Feels nice!
Old 05-24-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, got a solid week today.

Onestep, i am glad to hear you are feeling better about life. I worry for you when you are feeling low. Still got rehab in the works?
Old 05-24-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

hey going to my first AA meeting today
just doing it and going for it
i just want to be away from people today but
just another excuse not to go.
heart racing.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 05-24-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Congrats yes, let us know how it goes. Checking in at day 13. Think I will bring my agnostic self to another meeting too. Feeling good about my recovery but still tired and weak. One day at a time ya'll!
Old 05-24-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

thanks juliette. im a bit shaky and hungover. i should go anyway
i have to otherwise another binging night.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Me 2 lost... 2 weeks today! Feeling much better today.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Day 1

Welcome supersonic