Notices

Class Of February 2014 Part 8

Old 05-15-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 90 days LonelyShadow!!!
Old 05-15-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

LonelyShadow - Congratulations on 90 days! What a story, from deep despair to living your dreams. I feel honored to have shared your journey, and I mean it when I say I am so happy for you.

You've written a post full of advice to copy and keep. Those of us who know you have come to expect that.

I've never heard of the inch theory before, but I love the way it applies to fighting through cravings. What I like about SR is the hybrid of approaches that have evolved from everyone's experiences, all over the world.

Have a great day, my friend.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Wow, LonelyShadow, what an incredible post but I have come to expect nothing less from you. You have been a great source of inspiration to this amazing Class of February 2014 and to me. Witnessing and being a part of your journey thus far has been a true blessing.

Congratulations on your 90 days; very, very well done.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulupalooza;
FORTUNATELY, I have a healthy 8 month old baby. He's cute as a button and he seems really smart and vibrant. But I find the guilt creeping in from what I did coupled with worry. I took him to the doctor today and he hasn't been gaining enough weight. Mind you I'm very petite and only 5'1" and my husband is 5'8". So, now I feel bad and I'm worried that maybe he's so small because I drank while I was pregnant. I also find that if he isn't above average at everything or he's a little behind I start to worry, and I feel guilty again. I'm so so so scared that he's going to grow up with serious developmental problems because I couldn't get my **** together. I have absolutely no control over that at this point and it's frustrating to know that at one point I could have prevented all of this. I don't know why I couldn't just STOP! So many women are able to stop while they're pregnant. I don't think there's any excuse for my behavior and now I'm going to have to pay the price for the rest of my life and I just pray that he doesn't have to pay the price too.

So that's where I'm at today. Sorry for the long post.
Lulu - my son (like Dee) was a premie; drinking wasn't an issue during my pregnancy (didn't drink at all; my drinking wasn't heavy or problematic until decades later) his prematurity was a personal physical, uterine issue that would plague future pregnancies; he was born at 28 weeks, thankfully in one of the finest medical institutions in the world; he received exceptional care. He, nonetheless, had developmental delays. He didn't walk until 19 months; had speech delays, expressive language deficiencies, dysfluency, and gross and fine motor skills delays. He had lots of therapy. The good news is that by the time he reached first grade he was, developmentally, within the normal range. He was also below the growth scale for a long time and didn't even "hit the charts" until he was 7 months old but he did, by the time he was 18 months old, hit the "average" range; he is now, as an adult, above average in height but still below average in weight.

It really sounds like your son is doing beautifully. Some people are simply lean by nature; I would bet your son is one of them. He sounds like a wonderful guy.

Cherish this time; it goes by so quickly.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

LoneyShadow - that was an incredible post, I liked the just one more inch motivation. Save that. It is an inspiration for all of us to see these milestones.

Congratulations on ninety days!

I did it Febbies. Joined the gym. Pilates tonight. The cost is good versus stand alone Yoga. Plus dead Olympic size pool at lunch hour! Five minute drive from work, impressive for working next to a cornfield. Indoor track for softer runs on my feet.

Therapist 2 tomorrow. I will see. At this point maybe these boards and exercise are my thing. Therapy costs a lot.

Lulu, like others pointed out, you probably ok and beating up on yourself too much. You can't change the past, you live the present. Ever see that show, "I didn't know I was pregnant?" ladies who drank the whole nine months had normal babies

My mom smoked pot, with me. Health wise doing fine. She didn't with brothers, they also fine. Sure we all ended up with addiction problems, but I doubt that has anything to do with her pregnant use or sober pregnancies.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Congratulations lonely shadow! Your post is truly inspiring! Thank you for sharing your experience, strength, and hope!!!
Old 05-15-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

And after all that worrying, my baby crawls for the first time today
Old 05-15-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Awwwww LuLu that's wonderful!!! I miss those days terribly!!!
Old 05-15-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's wonderful Lulu

D
Old 05-15-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Yay Lulu! Great news! Once they start moving, parenting gets ... interesting!!
Old 05-15-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Lulu, that's wonderful news; so exciting!!! Glee is so right; parenting gets really interesting now!!!

Enjoy him.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Lulu, good to hear!

I don't have kids. I almost wonder if interesting is code speak. . .

I am relieved for you.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulupalooza View Post
And after all that worrying, my baby crawls for the first time today
Lulu - is your little one busy practicing his new trick?!?! Hope you are taking lots of videos.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,
I hope all is well. Baby is keeping me busy now that he's exploring EVERYTHING. I'm very proud of him. "Operation Pork Chop" is underway to fatten him up too.
Other than that everything is well. Just checking in real quick! I'll be off and on throughout the day
Old 05-16-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulupalooza View Post
Hey everyone,
I hope all is well. Baby is keeping me busy now that he's exploring EVERYTHING. I'm very proud of him. "Operation Pork Chop" is underway to fatten him up too.
Other than that everything is well. Just checking in real quick! I'll be off and on throughout the day
These are such adorable times; enjoy; enjoy!!!!!
Old 05-16-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Good news LuLu!

If nothing else, this week has kept me busy. Today I am working on a project from my old job. It was always one of my favorite reports to do. It's been a nice day doing work I love only in an environment of kindness.

Learned yesterday that I will be working on a task force pushing to change the mediation requirements for survivors of domestic violence. So excited about that! I'm getting in on the tail end of the rule change, but I will get to see and be a part of the training of our states certified mediators. There are some great people in the state judiciary trying to protect survivors of DV.

Hope all are well. LS- thank you for that post yesterday.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Sounds exciting, DI.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Well done LS and good post.

Im all good, everyone's posts sounds very positive. I feel good, trouble is I have other addictive behaviours, Im sober and drug free but I still need to deal with my other issues. Hard.

Take it easy all
G
Old 05-16-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Nice to hear from you, Gazza.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Gazza - I have a lot of garbage to work on, too, and I agree it's hard. The way I look at it, my drinking is only one symptom of my dysfunction.

Some days I get pretty down about it. I've heard other people say, and I agree: feeling down in sobriety beats feeling depressed from the physical and emotional effects of drinking.

Sometimes feeling down is a sign that we need to make a change. For me, my needs are different at nearly 90 days sober than they were at the very beginning. I've changed my routine to reflect that. One example is, I have more energy than at the beginning. While at the beginning I needed to carve out time to nap and rest to meet my needs, now I need to carve time to read the 24 Hour (AA) and Language of Letting Go (codependency) daily reflections. That's just me; what's right for you is based on your needs.

Transformation is a process. I figure it took me 39 years to become this hot mess; it's not going to get fixed overnight.

DiggingIn - Congratulations on your special assignment. I'm glad you've been able to keep yourself busy and stay sober.

Torn - How did the meeting go with the therapist?

SoberLeigh - the quote on my gratitude page was from The Language of Letting Go, a daily meditation written for overcoming codependency. Many of the topics are applicable to anyone who wants to live happily.

Casinva, lulu, LonelyShadow - Hi! I hope it's a good day!