Notices

Class Of March 2014 Part 7

Old 04-01-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Hey Aarry your post on AA kind of reminded me of something, the part about wallowing...

I personally do not believe that undressing yourself (figuratively and emotionally, kids) and spilling it all out and surrendering personal power is a good thing. I feel that owning your experiences and facing them at a safe pace is totally ok. As long as you do face it.

I listen to a lot of This American Life and The Moth and there's been a couple stories recently about depression and how we in the west deal with it and how other cultures deal with it in their communities...

There was this village somewhere in Africa? I believe? Sorry to forget the specific location... But they were not at all into the idea of sitting in a room and totally spilling and wallowing. They were in favor of doing all sorts of crazy things and giving the depressed person a vibrant experience, and the entire village would take the day off and display their support for that person by being a part of the crazy experience, and they'd be reminded in a really big way that could not be denied that they weren't alone.

I kind of liked that.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by timetotry1 View Post
Ilya, I have real friends and 'drinking buddies'. The first group will always be there , the second will find a replacement to 'talk at'....I would not worry real friends will support
Thanks for that. I'm still figuring out who's who haha
Old 04-01-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK, I'm not an AA member but a lot of my friends here on SR subscribe to it.
It's saved their lives.

I read the big book - to me? it was about finding power, not losing it, and about following your own path not someone else's.
My SR AA friends tell me it's about that too.

If that's not the AA you know then maybe you're not in the right meeting?

D
Old 04-01-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
OK, I'm not an AA member but a lot of my friends here on SR subscribe to it.
It's saved their lives.

I read the big book - to me? it was about finding power, not losing it, and about following your own path not someone else's.
My SR AA friends tell me it's about that too.

If that's not the AA you know then maybe you're not in the right meeting?

D
I think I've been getting drawn to people who remind me of my super dysfunctional mother. In AA, like in RL, there are those who wish to attempt to control others and to tell them what they need to be doing.

Those are the few I've been talking to this week. Seeking the approval I never got from mom, maybe?

Wow. I knew if I kept talking it out, it would make sense eventually.

Dee, you're right. There are a lot of good people in AA. I need to work my own thing my own way.

As in RL, I need to divorce my Mom. She was the critical voice in my head for many years. I'm kinda over her criticism.

I've been to a lot of different meetings. Funny how I find that broken puzzle piece that fits my own broken puzzle piece - and not in a good way.

I know at its core, AA is about personal power; as is all therapy and religion and self-help doctrine.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Administrator

You seem very self aware Bimini

D
Old 04-01-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Thanks for finding the right words to help me untwist, Dee, Ilya and Ary.

Takes a village.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Can one become allergic to alcohol suddenly?

I was getting my nails done today and i was telling the girl that I was hungover. She says she doesn't drink because she is allergic. It makes her sick.

I wish that would happen to me.

I think I might start telling people this.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jade1224 View Post

I was getting my nails done today and i was telling the girl that I was hungover. She says she doesn't drink because she is allergic. It makes her sick.

This is one of the hypotheses in the Big Book of AA.

Hungover is sick.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jade1224 View Post

I am allergic it makes me break out in handcuffs
Old 04-01-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well it always made me sick sooner or later, Jade.
Not being funny - looking back, I'm amazed I'd drink through that.

D
Old 04-01-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Well yeah hungover is sick but I mean she has a half a glass of wine and then gets sick. Not just after a night of drinking.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds lucky to me

D
Old 04-01-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

I can drink a crapton of Tequila or Rum: easily a half of a fifth without a hangover. Two beers and I get hungover. Red wine kills me after one glass.

It isn't the alcohol that I feel allergic to - it is hops (or some grain in beer - especially IPAs) and the sulfites in red wine. White wine? Bring it on all day. Bubbly wine, nononono.

Well, not any more - jus' making a point.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Bimini -- I broke things off with my toxic mother 4 years ago in May. I've been through lots of phone numbers and email addresses to get her off my trail too. It is the single best and healthiest thing I have ever done for myself. It was also the hardest. My therapist used to say that the child instinctually always looks to the mother and loves the mother even when the mother is toxic. When I et her go, I stopped letting people like her into my life. It started happening naturally, I guess because I purged that care that I had and that need to fix that relationship

Jade -- that is a great thing to tell people! Some people that are allergic black out and it is dangerous!

Mr Fixit -- lol
Old 04-01-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

On the topic of allergy - I have heard that reference before too.

I don't know if it's allergies or what- but I have no idea why I black out more than half the time I drink. Well- maybe 25% of the time, and what I would call a "brown out" another 50% and the other 25% of the time I was physically restraining myself from drinking anymore than 2. And since I drank 5 or 6 days a week, that's a lot of missing time.

And that part was always so strange to me- I thought everyone was the same. I had no idea that most people didn't experience this. It wasn't until the last few years when I noticed how others would look at me so concerned or shocked when I spoke of my blackouts.

So I started lying and pretending that I didn't black out. You might know what I mean- nodding when someone tells a story of the night before (even though you have no idea what they are talking about) or gently approaching your SO because you don't remember if the night ended in a fight or in love.

Sigh. Man I hope all of that is behind me now.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Had my annual vision exam today. Last year's exam featured me sitting there in the dark trying to read an eye chart through the fuzz of a nasty hangover. Though my 12-day sober eyes I'm seeing things more clearly this year…metaphorically at least, since I still need glasses. I am thankful for this change. I really hope next year's exam will be hangover and alcohol-free as well.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Catching up on some great posts after a long 12 hour day at work. Is 7:30pm too early to curl up in bed with my book and drift off to sleep? I have to wake up at 5:30am so hopefully not....
This is my second of two nights away from home. Another trigger hotel, another win for my new sober self! My AV went nuts trying to convince me to drink these past two nights. It tried everything from pleading to being angry to being seductive. My AV tried it all in vain. I will not drink leave me alone!!!!! My cravings were up around 6/10 (6 out of 10). Just ate some dinner and now they are at a manageable 3 out of 10.
Thanks for 'listening'.
Love and hugs to you all. ..and good night. -Chris
Old 04-01-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

The AV was hard on me today. The usual time…right at the end of the work day when I first got home. I got through, but it was tough. You know what's amazing…now just a couple hours later it seems like no big deal to not be drinking, it even feels natural. An emotional roller coaster
Old 04-01-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Great job fighting the AV off Chris and Taproot! Could not have been easy!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Nice work taproot.

Just checking in, still doing well but realizing that I have to start new hobbies or activities or my life will become to boring with just work and school. That kind of boredom used to lead to a need to "unwind", so I need to remove that trigger.