View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Ilya

Hey Aarry your post on AA kind of reminded me of something, the part about wallowing...

I personally do not believe that undressing yourself (figuratively and emotionally, kids) and spilling it all out and surrendering personal power is a good thing. I feel that owning your experiences and facing them at a safe pace is totally ok. As long as you do face it.

I listen to a lot of This American Life and The Moth and there's been a couple stories recently about depression and how we in the west deal with it and how other cultures deal with it in their communities...

There was this village somewhere in Africa? I believe? Sorry to forget the specific location... But they were not at all into the idea of sitting in a room and totally spilling and wallowing. They were in favor of doing all sorts of crazy things and giving the depressed person a vibrant experience, and the entire village would take the day off and display their support for that person by being a part of the crazy experience, and they'd be reminded in a really big way that could not be denied that they weren't alone.

I kind of liked that.