Notices

Moms and Mums Club 2013 Part 9

Old 03-30-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Wow dolly and Bebetter....you guys are AWESOME!!! Such an inspiration, you really are. Bebetter it's so true. I'm only at 3 months and already thinking "I wasn't that bad, I wasn't really an alcoholic. I could have a few here and there now that I'm cured." Dangerous thinking!!!!!!

Dolly that's so lovely that you got a surprise party, you deserve it!! And pizza sounds lovely too, bet you're enjoying all the innocent fun now...I am!

Lucy 50 days is amazing well done!!!! Awesome that hubby hasn't had a drink for a week, is he trying to quit also? Would be a great support for you. Sorry your job isn't going well

Babs 60 days!! Awesome! Tips...I have just kept away from social events where I'd usually drink. I also am up at 5 most days at the gym so now I tell myself a hangover just wouldn't work. Avoided shops with wine. I don't even want to look at it. Also watched alcoholic documents which has really really put me off drinking!

Has anyone else looked around and noticed that not many people actually drink? I have...most of my friends don't, my family don't. I was just the one obsessed with getting drunk all the time !
Old 03-30-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

New Star- I thought the same thing! Most people don't drink, even at the pub I was at Saturday. I was talking to my daughters tutor (29). He visited a college campus where most the kids enjoyed movie night on the weekends. I was just getting wasted and going to the bars dancing!!!! I was kinda loose with too many boys too. Ugh!

That's one thing I hope I can teach my kids. Your body is a treasure. Don't sleep with too many people, don't eat too much sugar and don't drink. It gets you in trouble!

And yes, hubby is quitting drinking too. But he doesn't like to talk about it. He wants to do it his way....

Bedtime for me.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Ah yes Lucy. Many mistakes in the past for me too, that I hope to teach my girls NOT to do!!!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good morning ladies,
We had a good weekend here. Yesterday was my husband's birthday. We went for a drive to look at wildflowers and then came home and made a really yummy steak dinner. I hope he had a good day because last year he found out about my alcoholism the day after his birthday (one year ago today).
I'm glad I've been able to stay sober, but I'm still having some really nasty urges. I've just been so moody lately. I don't know if it's because I'm on my pd or what. I feel so stressed out like I never get a break. I feel like I look like crap even though I've lost all my baby weight. I'm not satisfied with where I'm at in my life. I always envisioned that I'd be working as a critical care nurse or a flight nurse by now. Maybe even have my masters degree. Ugh. Maybe I need an attitude adjustment.
Anyway, I'm so inspired by you ladies. I love hearing about how you're doing and how you've found so much joy in staying sober. I know that joy too, I just need to find it again. Congratulations to all you ladies who have stayed sober for so long! Bebetter I know you have had some trials lately and I'm very impressed that you've been able to stay sober through it all. Dolly I'm inspired by your weight loss and ability to stay sober for so long. New Star that's awesome that you've been able to stay sober for so long on your first go, that isn't easy! Lucy that's awesome that you AND your husband are staying sober. I'll bet you can really support each other in that. To anyone else I missed I always enjoy reading all of your posts and you are all an inspiration to me!
Old 03-31-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Ok, I've given myself an attitude adjustment. I've decided that I'm going to stop whining and go for my goals. One of those being sobriety. No more living in the past. No more worrying about how what I did in the past might affect the future. No more day dreaming. No more whining about how I can't drink. I want to stay sober and I'm going to stick to that. I'm going to choose to move forward with my new life and enjoy it. This is my choice.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi ladies,

Well, I was having a good day until I went to the gym and weighed myself. I gained 4 lbs this last week! WTF?! I was excited last Monday when I had lost another pound, putting me at my goal of 10 pounds (which it took a year to lose). Now I just gained 4 of it back in 1 week?? I have cut back on sweets and am exercising more so I am baffled. I am expecting my pd anyday so some of could be water weight, but not 4 lbs. Sigh.

Had a great weekend, though, even with the rainy, miserable weather. Saturday I took my daughter to a birthday party and then yesterday my mom, daughter and I went to church, lunch and then did some fun shopping. I thought it was going to be a hard weekend with my husband working, but it ended up being fun. Cranky and irritable today. This is the longest PMS I have ever had

Hope you are all having a great Monday! Will check back later.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi fellow moms/mums: I am on day two of my recovery. I am getting sober for myself and my family. I'm a binger who has been in denial and tried to "control" my drinking countless times. This time I plan on succeeding. I am going to use every tool I have to make sure I stay sober, be it being on here all day, going to meetings, AVRT, etc.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hey there Green turtle! Welcome to our group. This is a great group of moms here. There is certainly someone (everyone) who can relate to what you're going through. We all have varying degrees of sobriety and numerous attempts to get sober.

I have a daughter who is 10 months old. I work full time and am a binge drinker. My drinking problem is a surprise to no one who knows me well. Just yesterday I hit the two-month milestone. Every day brings a range of challenges but I'm learning that with a heart of gratitude you can really change the way you live your life. It's been hard and some days are easier than others. We're here to support you....

Tell us about yourself. Day 2.... you're in it.... we've been there. We're here for you.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Thanks Babs I'm a working mom to an 8 yr old boy and wife of 7 years. I've had issues with drinking almost from the time I began when I was 17. The longest period of sobriety I've had is my pregnancy 8 years ago and then 3 months a couple years back. I always let the AV take over. I get time under my belt then convince myself that I'm fine and can moderate. The fact is I do not know how a night of drinking is going to turn out even with best intentions. My husband isn't a big drinker which is good but we've had issues over the past few years and he sort of enables my drinking. I think he thinks that if I get sober I will no longer want to be with him. Maybe I'm wrong but a counselor once told him that his behavior is enabling me...I don't face consequences from him, he says I can drink with him and he'll control it, or only on vacation, etc...

Anyways, I have a good job, great son, lovely home and family and friends who I enjoy being with and want to get sober to be a better person. Thanks for listening.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome greenturtle! Good for you for wanting to get sober and congrats on 2 days I, too, have tried to quit numerous times in the past only to let the AV convince me I can moderate/control it. Never happens. Once I have that first drink it's like something takes over and I just want to keep drinking. I am currently a SAHM to a 4 year old daughter and am on Day 8, again. A year ago, tomorrow actually, I joined SR and have had some good periods of sobriety, but always slip after some time. Glad to have you with us. You will find a ton of support here with these ladies. They have been my lifeline. Keep posting
Old 03-31-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks Ladybug! I really need the support and strength of others who are living sober lives.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Welcome GreenTurtlle!!! The first week is always the hardest! I'm on day 51. Good for you to get yourself sober for you and your family. My life with my kids is so much better sober. My day is so much more productive and 8 pounds thinner so far. I've been married 20 years with 2 kids 9. & 15. My hubby and I are both quitting. He had severe withdrawals. I had only itching at night. This is a fabulous group of women from all over the world. We learn things about each others cultures too! Welcome!!!!

My computer us still not working for my new job. Who knows that may be the deciding factor is I succeed. Virtual work sounds good on paper but reality not do much.

We went from 80 degrees to 48 today and rain. I'm so much happier in the heat.

Happy Monday:-)
Old 03-31-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi moms...

Welcome GreenTurtle! Glad you are joining us and congrats on day 2. I am mom to a 7 year old daughter, and been sober for 11 months, but drank daily before that since the day she was born:-(. Life is soooo much better now!

Lady.... Don't worry about those 4 pounds...2 of that is likely water weight from impending period, and the other 2 might be muscle from the extra gym time.

Lulu...great attitude!!!! Proud if you!

Tuck in time...check back later:-)
Old 03-31-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Welcome greenturtle! I am a (mostly) SAHM to a 4.5 year old and a 2 year old. I've also had issues with drinking since I started, though I didn't drink much in high school or my first 2 years of college - at least not around my BF at the time, who was completely against drinking for religious reasons. My real drinking career began when I turned 20 and met the man who is now my husband... I was a daily drinker - about 4-5 drinks in the evening, spread over 4-5 hours, so I was never really more than "happy relaxed," but my binges were growing more frequent (near blackout drunk about once a week by the time I quit) and it seemed just a matter of time before I was going to kill myself with drinking, or, at the very least, permanently injure my family.

lady - I was just talking to some friends about period weight gain last month, because I literally put on 5 lbs overnight the night my period started (and I am a small person - 5 lbs is 4% of my entire body weight and an entire pants size!). This month, the scale was heading down after ovulation (I always gain a little at that time of month too), and then wham -overnight it went up 3 lbs. Not at all unusual, according to the people I was talking to! I hope it drops off for you by the end of the week.

lulu - I must be channeling your attitude. Last night, I got out my journal, which I usually only write in to record cute things the girls are doing or developmental strides in their lives, and instead, I wrote a pretty desperate and short paragraph to myself that I need to change something. I have been miserable for months now, and it's really coming to a point that I can't deal with life anymore. And I committed myself to one small change at a time to bring myself out of this funk. I'm starting with daily exercise. Today I got a huge rush from the endorphins and it lasted for hours. I think it's hard to look around at your life sometimes and not see all the things you thought would be different. I thought I'd have a PhD by now, and that I'd be somehow amazingly happy juggling the professorial life with being a crunchy momma. Nope. I'm a pretty average SAHM with an extremely part-time job, who feels like she's a terrible SAHM with a lame-o job. I need to look around and see all the great things I have and realize that whatever reality I could be living, there would be struggles and the dreams about what my life should or could be are usually rose colored. Life is good right now, if I would just accept it as it is.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Welcome greenturtle! You've come to the right place. My story sounds a lot like yours. My hubby also says I don't mind if you drink one with dinner etc but not have too much. Spoken like a true non alcoholic!!! I haven't had a drink for 3 months and hubby hasn't even noticed. Makes me think I must've been hiding it super well. I wouldn't be so we if it wasn't for this forum.

Lady YES I hear ya! My pd arrived today and put on a kilo, despite gym and eating well. Damn pd!!!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 12:32 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hey green turtle - I am also a binger (to the blackout point) - on day 13 (I think today) have had a few slips since focusing on sorting myself out but they arnt half as bad as they used to be and most certainly not as frequent. You're in the right place here - these ladies are amazing

Hey ladybug - I'm sure it is just water weight - give yourself a week and I'm sure it'll come back off

As for me well I had an amazing weekend with my hubby and kids - so nice to have him home now. Although he's left again yesterday until Thursday night. Can you believe we leave the UK this Sunday - eeeeek!!! Need to start my exercising today as have been a real piggy wig this weekend! Going to force myself to a class tonight and do a DVD this morning . The sunshine is awaiting and I don't want to undo all of my hardwork from the last 4 weeks!

Also going to start my packing today - eeeeek !! Hope everyone's ok today xxxxxx
Old 04-01-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

So soon Sarah!! What a big exciting adventure awaits you!
Old 04-01-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Good morning- I would love to join this thread. I am on day 10, and have been sticking mostly to the March club. But it would be great to get to know you ladies.
I am a working mom of a beautiful 2 year old boy. He adores me and he deserves to not ever have to see me in a blacked out drunk state ever again.
I have never gone this long without drinking. Maybe a few times during my pregnancy, but even then I would sneak sips of wine- convincing myself that it's good for my blood pressure.
I put in my resignation at work and starting in May will be a SAHM for the summer. I want to be clear for that- I want to treat that time as the blessing it is.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Welcome kimsfriend! I have a two year old too ( turned 2 yesterday). Glad to have you here! 10 days is fantastic, honestly it gets easier as time goes on.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

New Star- two is such a wonderful age! He is learning so much every day! And testing so much too! He has my personality to the T which is very strange to see it standing on the outside.

Thank you for the welcome