Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 28

Old 03-15-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
Lupita Nyong'o gave a brilliant speech on inner beauty at a black women's award (?). It was around 'women of colour' but the theme was universal. Might be worthwhile to google that as a starter
I agree with you Kaneda, Lupita Nyong'o's speech is not just race specific so it's something that PBC can use as a template for her speech. The message is a universal one for women of all races and cultures.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by PeanutButterCup View Post
Good morning, everyone!

I'm wondering if you all have any ideas for me. I've been asked to speak at a women's benefit conference, and I need to come up with a topic. The theme of the conference is true beauty, the wonder of you, your value, etc. I've got a ton of thoughts, but I need to streamline them into something coherent that isn't just like everything else you read in the media today. Any suggestions?
I've been reading the book "Lean in" by sheryl Sandberg which is basically about redefining our roles as women in the workplace and how that translates in the home, gender roles, balancing bread-winning with child-rearing, perceptions (by others and self) of successful, driven women, etc.

As a woman of color another issue for me that is pertinent is standard of beauty. Not just fat/thin but what about hijab/dread locks? How are those perceived by western culture?

Also women role models in media- beyonce/Taylor swift/ Miley Cyrus/ rihanna - should they be viewed as role models or given the creative freedom of an artist? Would their behavior be as scrutinized if they were male? Why?

That's all I got off the top of my head.

I have endless thoughts on women's issues!
Old 03-15-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

You guys rock.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday, loves. Hope everyone is having a good, sober weekend so far!
Old 03-15-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I was just cuddling my granddaughter and started thinking about what small children see as beautiful about their moms and grandmoms ...

That might make a nice outline, too. Hmmm.

I'll have to have something in there about treating yourself with honor and love, too ... something about healthy living.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

What we remeber most about people, isn't their physical beauty but rather.....hmmm, how they made us feel. Beautiful....is remebered longer when people are beautiful on the inside.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Beauty to me is an inner glow. Some people are pleasing to the eye, but what captures me, in a man or a woman, is an inner glow, true happiness, or true interest. I can think of a few people I see casually, who, when you chat, they really respond, they listen, they reflect back to you what you say or feel. There may be good looks, or less than perfect looks, but an inner glow, a light that shines beyond anything tangible or physical.

Also, in the world of physical beauty, many of the most accalimed beauties may have assymetry and imperfections. This is what attracts the eye. It could be big eyes, a crooked nose, but often the most successful beauties are not perfect, symmetrical or flawless.

I think of the current John Legend song:

"Love your curves and all your edges
All your perfect imperfections"

It is often our imperfections that attract attention, not what is flawless. But, really, for me, beauty shines from within. It is an essence, an aura, not simply a physical presence.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

~~~Food for Thought ~ Super Sunday Edition~~~
~~~Rethink Your Life~~~

Rethink your life. Step back. Get out of the rat race for a moment and look at yourself. Have you accomplished the goals that were once important to you? Have you created the impact, made the moves and achieved the things that matter most to you at this point in your life? Is your life working for you now, or are you just working to make it in life?

Ask yourself...what will make you happy? Then, actually set out to do it! Make the decision not to settle for things as they are. Dream about what you want and will make a difference in living your life. You deserve the best that life has to offer, less drama, less stress, more appreciation and respect for your life, and for who you are. Design, create and step into a life that you are proud of living. You deserve to live life on your terms!

~Sunday Snack~Taking Responsibility~

One of the greatest challenges in creating a joyful, peaceful and abundant life is taking responsibility for what you do and how you do it. As long as you can blame someone else, be angry with someone else, point the finger at someone else, you are not taking responsibility for your life.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

*** 6 Months TODAY!!! ***

Old 03-16-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by PeanutButterCup View Post
*** 6 Months TODAY!!! ***

Congratulations PBC!!!! What an achievement!!!

Old 03-16-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Congratulations, PBC!!!

Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Way to go, PBC!!! And I am so glad you joined our class. You have lots of good stuff to share!
Old 03-16-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations PBC

D
Old 03-16-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
I am so glad you joined our class. You have lots of good stuff to share!
Awww, thanks! *blush* I'm so glad I joined your group, too! I learn lots from you all.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Well done pbc
Old 03-16-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Wanting a really spicy Bloody Mary right now. :headband

I won't have one, though, and thought I'd quickly post here to type through it. My daughter just stopped in … beer's opened, martini poured (husband). It's Sunday… Went to husband's college friend's daughter's wedding yesterday and was probably the only one not drinking. I didn't have any cravings then, so that was a relief. I couldn't wait 'til it was over, though, because I really didn't know anyone and, unfortunately, can't dance to the Motown hits the DJ was playing lol.

I think I'll make a Virgin one to satisfy the tastebuds…

brb

OH… HI LOMMEY!!!!
Old 03-16-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hooray for you, PBC!!!
Old 03-16-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Wooo Hooo, PBC!! Congrats! Soo glad you joined this class!
Old 03-16-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Many congratulations PBC. 6 months is a milestone to be proud of. You have helped me loads since you joined this group.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
Wanting a really spicy Bloody Mary right now. :headband

I won't have one, though, and thought I'd quickly post here to type through it. My daughter just stopped in … beer's opened, martini poured (husband). It's Sunday… Went to husband's college friend's daughter's wedding yesterday and was probably the only one not drinking. I didn't have any cravings then, so that was a relief. I couldn't wait 'til it was over, though, because I really didn't know anyone and, unfortunately, can't dance to the Motown hits the DJ was playing lol.
I've found that I tend to do well in social situations, and then when everyone goes HOME, I am tempted. It's the same way with food. I can eat all healthy and make wonderful choices during a big social gathering, then when I get on my own it's almost like I want to reward myself for being so good.

Since I recognize it (and it's a pretty common phenomenon I've found in working with thousands of others), I have started planning a reward of some sort for AFTER events. So, taking it back to sobriety, after getting through a gathering like that I might
* get a manicure
* have bought a cool book and saved it to enjoy just then
* watch my favorite movie or show
* buy myself something small, like a new pair of earrings or a pretty bouquet of daisies or some nice-smelling lotion

That seems to satisfy my desire for reward, but in a healthier way.

Just a thought.

Thanks for all the LOVE!