Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 28

Old 03-13-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Lots of us seem to have the same issues with fear of failure and self confidence standing in the way of progress in our lives, I really relate to so many recent posts. Diesel your recent quotes on belief in oneself were (as always) very helpful to me. And I have just put Lillian's recommended book by Dale Carnegie in my Amazon basket, it looks like it could be very helpful.

Very best of luck Renarde with your exam today. I'm sure you will do brilliantly. Then please take a much earned rest.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes Renarde

I always had a fear of failure too Rochele. Maybe the thing is to do think of things you love to do, things you'd almost be glad to do freely for no money.....I find the joy in doing things like that largely overides any fear of failure.

D
Old 03-14-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

I dunno if fear of failure has plagued me so much as fear of success. I have mostly navigated under the radar, afraid that if I excelled I would have to continue to be held accountable and responsible and subject to failure and scrutiny.

In those cases when I did shine or come close to it, I self sabotaged or tried to. I was elected to a paid student government position in college and the night before elections, the last and most important campaigning night I tried to throw in the towel and a friend had to give me a pep talk and tell me to follow through.

I couldn't believe it when I actually won the election. My life is full of instances like that and there were many times when I did not have a friend around to talk me off the ledge.

Pursuing writing is one of the first times that I am actively working against those fears and self-sabotaging behaviors. And I am terrified! I'm afraid of rejection, I'm afraid I'm not smart enough, funny/clever enough, creative enough, avant-garde enough, the list goes on.

They say that no writer ever thinks he or she is good enough, and it was nice to hear that said out loud by the winner of the Oscar for best adapted screenplay in his speech. But those thoughts are dangerous and I cannot allow them to cripple me and prevent progress.

Deep down, I know that I have what it takes to succeed, I just have to practice ignoring that looming self-doubt.

I think change makes us uncomfortable and the fear that arises from taking some risks arise out of our fear of change. In those situations, I think that fear is a liar.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think its two sides of the same coin Brooksie?

D
Old 03-14-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I dunno if fear of failure has plagued me so much as fear of success. I have mostly navigated under the radar, afraid that if I excelled I would have to continue to be held accountable and responsible and subject to failure and scrutiny.

Yeah, I identify with this too, Brooksie.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

So much of what's been written, in my heart, goes back to the post I made a few days ago about handing it over and acknowledging that God is in control and not me. When I do that, the only thing I need to be concerned with is doing the next right thing. The results of that are up to HIM, and He knows more than I do.

About a decade ago I was singing at a church down south a bit. The night before I sang, there was a big concert that the whole congregation attended, as did I. The band was PHENOMENAL! Oh, my goodness! Such talent! When I went to bed that night and tried to sleep, I was plagued with worry about how I wasn't that good, that I was going to mess up, that these songs were hard because of whatever reason. Then I started thinking.

Why was I there? I was singing there because I love singing and I had a message I wanted to share about Him. So, all I had to do was sing. What were HIS purposes for me there? Surely they weren't so that I would look good and impress anyone! Maybe His plan WAS for me to mess up, because then someone sitting there would realize that you don't have to be perfect to be called. Maybe my sole purpose was to bring someone else hope!

Well, I did mess up. I forgot the words. And it was okay.

I put this same concept into practice a few years later when I applied for a job that I didn't feel qualified for, but for which I did really feel in the depths of my heart that I was supposed to apply. I did NOT think I'd get it, but I really believed I was acting obediently by applying. I tried to consider the benefits of applying even though I wouldn't get it, and had pretty much assumed it was simply to get me out of the house, to update my resume, and to give me some current practical experience interviewing. I got that job, which totally blew me away.

We can't control outcomes, and when we stop trying, it's kinda freeing. But we can control our own actions today. I'm just trying to do the next right thing all the time right now and not get too caught up in what happens next.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clemence View Post
Lots of us seem to have the same issues with fear of failure and self confidence standing in the way of progress in our lives, I really relate to so many recent posts. Diesel your recent quotes on belief in oneself were (as always) very helpful to me. And I have just put Lillian's recommended book by Dale Carnegie in my Amazon basket, it looks like it could be very helpful.

Very best of luck Renarde with your exam today. I'm sure you will do brilliantly. Then please take a much earned rest.
You are very welcome Clemence, we hear so much negativity through our media/ print and associations sometimes its no wonder that our self talk is negative. We have to surround ourselves with messages of inspiration as much as possible to drown out and remind ourselves of our true power and genius and what's really possible for us if we change our mindsets. Just trying to provide value for my life and give some to others as well.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

~~~Food 4 Thought ~ Thank God It's Friday Edition~
~~~There Is Greatness Within U!!!~~

~Note~
With the topic of the moment here on our post being fear as of late, I wanted to put up some posts on the Greatness that resides in all of us. I will be posting a Saturday post specifically on fear but this value pack should suffice for now. Have a great Friday my people.

~The Feast~
Find one area of your life that needs to be changed - be it your relationship, finances, health, or your work/life situation. Ask yourself - "Who do I need to become and what must I do to make a major impact on this part of my life?" Give this area your undivided attention for a minimum of 15 minutes each day for at least 30 days. Make this commitment non-negotiable. What is more important than your own word to yourself? Make it happen! You have something special.

~You have GREATNESS within you!~

Get out of your own way...you've got something to do! Embrace discipline and self-control as a bridge to your new future. Make the decision to create a bold agenda for yourself and for those you care about. Hold yourself accountable for daily results that can be monitored and measured.

Create a group of supporters who can challenge your best efforts and hold you accountable to your goals. What lies before you is no match to what you have within you. It's time for you to play a bigger game! Go for it! You have something special.

~You have GREATNESS within you!!~

Keep looking for ways to win. Don't give up!! You are closer than you think to your next breakthrough. Life is challenging you to BE GREAT!! Don't back down. Dig in! Really stretch yourself. Talk to someone else for some other new options. Make some more phone calls. Get busy and keep it moving! Work harder for yourself and your dream than you would ever think of doing for anyone else. Make something GREAT happen today. You have something special.

~You have GREATNESS within you!!~
Old 03-14-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Good luck today, Renarde!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Every Friday we do a "no first drink" meeting in my AA group, so I thought I'd share my thoughts today.

I am an alcoholic. That does NOT mean that I have to drink. That means I CAN'T drink. Some people might feel that stifles their independence. They want to do what they want. They want to be FREE.

But, what I believe is that HAVING that drink ruins my freedom and puts me in bondage.

I've had a nice full day, and I have a nice, full night planned. It's (kinda) my day off. I slept in, wrote my blog, did some housework, did the laundry, went to my meeting, met a friend for coffee, I'll be on a conference call for work in a few minutes, I'm taking my youngest daughter to volleyball, going out to eat and doing some shopping with my husband, and possibly meeting more friends tonight.

When I was still drinking, I exercised my "freedom" to drink on my days off. The problem is, once I did that, I had no other choices for the entire day. Once I started drinking, I was focused completely on me and that bottle and any other option was gone. No freedom there. Because I am an alcoholic.

Today I have choices, so I won't blow it with a first drink. I like freedom!
Old 03-15-2014, 02:30 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

St Patricks day here in Northern ireland and a big weekend for me . First chair today I know about fear today. Isnt it intresting that thats what has been talked about yesterday.
Although physically we are together in our minds and thoughts amazing.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:42 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good day Lommey - you'll do great

D
Old 03-15-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

~Food For Thought ~ Superb Saturday Edition~
~It's Never Too Late to Change~

At any time, you can decide to change the road you're on in life, take a new direction, follow a new trail. You are the only one who really knows what you want from life and if you're on the right road for you. You are the only one who can fulfill your dreams and receive the joys and happiness that come from reaching those aspirations and goals.

Don't expect others to be responsible for your happiness and your success. You must take control and be in charge of your destiny and day-to-day situations. Take advice (most of the time it's free) and listen to what others have to say and what concerns they have; it's important to have different points of view. But always validate those words of wisdom with your own set of standards and make sure that the advice has meaning to your sense of reality.

You must understand yourself enough to know what you want in life and what desires you believe are worthwhile for your future. You need to depend upon yourself and your talents. Appreciate others for their personal skills and abilities, but always continue to focus on your own strengths and energies. Life is much too short to spend it worrying about someone else's accomplishments or expecting someone else to be responsible for making your life better.

If you have dreams, then you have a purpose. You have something to believe in and work towards obtaining. Dedicate yourself to yourself. Promise yourself a life filled with love, and then whatever roads you travel will be the roads you want them to be.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

St patty's is big in NYC also. I'm staying far away from midtown!

It is really big in Savannah also- very similar to mardi gras in New Orleans. It rivaled Halloween as my favorite drunk holiday in high school and college! (And grad school)

This year, I'm happy to be sober!

I know you'll do great today, Lommey!!
Old 03-15-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeanutButterCup View Post
Every Friday we do a "no first drink" meeting in my AA group, so I thought I'd share my thoughts today.

I am an alcoholic. That does NOT mean that I have to drink. That means I CAN'T drink. Some people might feel that stifles their independence. They want to do what they want. They want to be FREE.

But, what I believe is that HAVING that drink ruins my freedom and puts me in bondage.

I've had a nice full day, and I have a nice, full night planned. It's (kinda) my day off. I slept in, wrote my blog, did some housework, did the laundry, went to my meeting, met a friend for coffee, I'll be on a conference call for work in a few minutes, I'm taking my youngest daughter to volleyball, going out to eat and doing some shopping with my husband, and possibly meeting more friends tonight.

When I was still drinking, I exercised my "freedom" to drink on my days off. The problem is, once I did that, I had no other choices for the entire day. Once I started drinking, I was focused completely on me and that bottle and any other option was gone. No freedom there. Because I am an alcoholic.

Today I have choices, so I won't blow it with a first drink. I like freedom!
Bolded by me. Love that! Great perspective. I will use that, thank you!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Good luck today, Lommey! Let us know how it goes!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

It's morning here and I need to be out the door even on a Saturday! Been thinking of all of you though SO… Saying

We have a wedding to go to early this afternoon and I need to find some shoes to wear. Was out 'til the stores closed getting something to wear since, of course, I waited until the very last minute to find out I don't fit into ANYTHING. :gash

This will be the first wedding and reception I've gone to in my life where I won't be drinking. Should be interesting, to say the least.

Hope you're relaxing after your exams, Renarde. Happy Sober St. Patty's Day, Lommey! Thank Gpd you were six blocks away from that explosion, Br00ksie. BLKDIESEL… as always, thank you for gathering and sharing your pearls of wisdom. You're so right about freedom in sobriety, PBC!!! I think suffering from Spiritual depression has been a big part of my problem, too, Kaneda… As well as, vacillating back and forth over that fine line of fear of failure/fear of success (Clemence, Lillian, Dee and Rochele). Hello to you, too, GotGrace! And Tallia, Fishy, Uninvited, if you're there. I may be out and about today, but I'll be thinking of you all to keep me on the straight and narrow.

:thou for being here!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

~~~Facing Fears with Faith ~ Taking The Leap~~~

~Note~
OK, Feeling great finished the morning workout and shopping and my day is scheduled for greatness. So as promised from yesterday I wanted to add a supplement to the already posted Food for Thought with this one geared towards fear. There is a great notion to remember, instead of thinking what could go possibly wrong there is a great world of things that can possibly go right and way beyond your expectations. Hope it adds some value to your journey. #FeelingFearless

~The Fearless Feast~

Welcome to the day that you realize that in order to be successful, your FAITH must be BIGGER than you fear! Today’s Fearless Feast is dedicated to taking a leap of faith! It is a fact that you will miss 100% of the shots that you don’t take! If you continue to walk through life in fear and allow that fear to stop you from attempting to fulfill your dreams and aspirations, than you are doomed to live a life of mediocrity!

It is absolutely imperative that you understand that no heart will ever suffer when it’s going after its dream! It’s OK to be afraid but what is not OK is to let that fear cripple you into inaction! Become FearLESS and know that whatever is in your way is no match for your true abilities! As Zig Ziglar once said… “F-E-A-R has two meanings: ‘Forget Everything And Run’ or ‘Face Everything And Rise.’ The choice is yours.”
Face Everything And Rise Because…. #NothingCanStopYouButYOU!!

~The Fearless Snacks~

“Being FEARLESS isn’t being 100% Not FEARFUL, it’s being terrified but taking the leap anyway…”-Taylor Swift

“Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.”-Marie Curie

“Don’t fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have.”
-Louise E. Boone

“Life is a gamble. There are no sureties. If you want something badly, you’d have to trust your heart and your instincts and then take a leap of faith.”-Alyssa Urbano

“Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
-Harold Whitman

“Thinking will not overcome fear but action will.”-W. Clement Stone

“Fear less, hope more, eat less, chew more, whine less, breathe more, talk less, say more, hate less, love more, and good things will be yours.”-Swedish Proverb

~YOUR FAITH MUST BE BIGGER THAN YOUR FEARS~ HAPPY ST.PADDY'S WEEKEND 2 U ALL!!!
Old 03-15-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good morning, everyone!

I'm wondering if you all have any ideas for me. I've been asked to speak at a women's benefit conference, and I need to come up with a topic. The theme of the conference is true beauty, the wonder of you, your value, etc. I've got a ton of thoughts, but I need to streamline them into something coherent that isn't just like everything else you read in the media today. Any suggestions?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeanutButterCup View Post
Good morning, everyone! I'm wondering if you all have any ideas for me. I've been asked to speak at a women's benefit conference, and I need to come up with a topic. The theme of the conference is true beauty, the wonder of you, your value, etc. I've got a ton of thoughts, but I need to streamline them into something coherent that isn't just like everything else you read in the media today. Any suggestions?
Lupita Nyong'o gave a brilliant speech on inner beauty at a black women's award (?). It was around 'women of colour' but the theme was universal. Might be worthwhile to google that as a starter