Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 28

Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Brooksie, I hope you are safe and out of harm's way. Prayers for that New York City neighborhood.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Awful accident that explosion
At one time during my 6 years living in Poland my friend and I and all the other inhabitants of a large apartment building had to be evacuated
because of possible risk of a gas explosion.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Gosh Brooksie the pictures on BBC news look terrifying. I'm so glad you're ok but I'm sure you're in shock. Hugs to you

Rochele I was at that crossroad 5 years ago. My youngest had started school and I had been out of the workplace for 15 years as a stay at home mother. I had rendered myself unemployable. I loved cooking so started my own catering business from home. It is small but thriving and I hope when youngest child is older and more independent it can expand. I'm just saying, follow your heart. I've had many false starts with jobs/courses that didn't suit me but I thought were 'sensible'. There is something that is right for all of us out there. But don't rush yourself. And get your house sorted first; once you are working and still have children at home, there is never ever enough time in the day.

Must fly!...
Old 03-13-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

My story is a little similar to yours, Clemence. I'd done a lot of seemingly unrelated things in my life - worked as an interior designer, waitressed, owned a special occassion decorating business, been a self-employed wedding consultant, the music director at a church, and then ran a daycare for 6 years. I was doing the daycare when my youngest was small, but when she went to school full-time, I realized my heart wasn't in it any longer. So I started to pray, and I asked a small group of faithful friends to pray, as well.

I believe God led me to where I am now. I would have NEVER guessed I'd be doing this! But it is, quite honestly, the most fulfilling thing I've ever done. I feel completely equipped for it in ways that I've never been for any job. I can look at every single thing I've done in the past and see how it prepared me for this. I don't want to ever retire. Ever.

So the moral of my story: pray, listen, and believe that there is a wonderful plan for you that might be beyond your wildest dreams.

Good morning, wonderful people! I need to get off my tush now and hit the shower. Lots to do today!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Good morning friends. I'm up at 5 am because final exams are tomorrow. I hope everyone has a lovely day.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Kane, Clemence, PBC, I am fortunate, extremely fortunate that I am not being pressured to get a job by my spouse or by financial hardship, and husband is pretty much fine and supportive of my being at home. Almost too complacent about it, really. But he knows my back bothers me, and that it would be difficult, and that we would then have to juggle mant of the child and household duties I manage for us. If you removed all my romantic dreams and the drinking he does, we did, we actually have a great pearenting partnership. And we manage the household together well, other than not being handy.

So, I am thinking and meditating on the right place for me. It may be in a less physical niche within my field. I like helping people. Or, I think about a less intense, but somewhat related area, like the health club or medical weight loss arena, because of my personal experiences combined with my professional background. I think of cardiac rehab or exercise fo people like me, with injuries or issues that make it intimidating to be at a regular gym class.

And, clemence, you nailed it. After the years of caring for my father, then his sister, and having her here, and clearing out a room for her, etc... we fell so behind on our home. Time to purge, clean out, reorganize, and repair. Maybe expand a bit. One room at the back.

There is a small dream too. One I could start tomorrow. Even today. My jewlery hobby has potential, like Clemence's cooking. I have dabbled with a few parties and home sales in the past. But I think I need to learn more and have a business plan and take inventory. The details. Gotta pay the tax man and if I jump into that with ignorance, I could get myself into trouble. Thinking about that too. That really requires more organization at home.

I do have ideas. I want to be sure I am ready mentally, sober, clear-headed, fit, etc... since I have that luxury right now.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
There is a small dream too. One I could start tomorrow. Even today. My jewlery hobby has potential, like Clemence's cooking. I have dabbled with a few parties and home sales in the past. But I think I need to learn more and have a business plan and take inventory. The details. Gotta pay the tax man and if I jump into that with ignorance, I could get myself into trouble. Thinking about that too. That really requires more organization at home.

I do have ideas. I want to be sure I am ready mentally, sober, clear-headed, fit, etc... since I have that luxury right now.
Love this, Rochelle. It's nice to be able to look ahead with HOPE, isn't it? The world really IS your oyster!
Old 03-13-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chase those dreams Rochele

D
Old 03-13-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

So much to read… so little time (frustrating)! Popping in to say hello and that I'm "with" you all … if not on the boards but in spirit.

Bye for now!
Old 03-13-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Chase those dreams Rochele

D
I know. Fear of failure has always held me back. with my dad gone, I no longer have my biggest encourager and cheerleader. It is not like I have ever failed, either. So, not sure why always hesitate, where others just jump in head first!

I really pushed myself to overcome those fears for awhile when I was younger. I had fun and felt very good. But it is scary and hard a the same time for turtles like me. Slow and steady has truly won me some races, but I also like my shell!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
I know. Fear of failure has always held me back. with my dad gone, I no longer have my biggest encourager and cheerleader. It is not like I have ever failed, either. So, not sure why always hesitate, where others just jump in head first!

I really pushed myself to overcome those fears for awhile when I was younger. I had fun and felt very good. But it is scary and hard a the same time for turtles like me. Slow and steady has truly won me some races, but I also like my shell!
I'm a very fearful person myself Rochele, so I get it. My personality is to always think "now what could go wrong here." Glass half empty - yup!

I'm not always successful at this, but in times like what you describe, I try and remember that fear isn't a bad thing. Fear is what keeps us all out of trouble if we are listening to it. It kept our forefathers alive by telling them to run away from tigers or to take cover in a lightening storm. Fear is real. Fear is to be respected because it's telling you there could be danger ahead. That's instinctual. It's not a bad thing at all! Everyone has fear. Some listen to it, some don't....courage isn't the absence of fear, courage is facing it. I worry about people who don't listen at all to fear.....they are usually tiger bait quickly.

I have found that the trick is to listen to fear, and then weigh it against reality. Then take steps to lessen your risk to the greatest possible degree. Then adjust again. Then adjust again....fine tuning the plan until every outcome is thought about and measured.

Then, I take Dale Carnegie's advice in his book "How to stop worrying and start living!" ~ imagine the worst possible outcome and accept it. Really hard to do, but usually the worst possible outcome isn't all the bad once you've done your homework.

Totally recommend the Carnegie book. I'm not an extrovert - but introverts can take the plunge after they do their homework. Once the homework is done, it helps me relax and to have fun.

I bet your artistry is beautiful.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

~Food 4 Thought ~Thoughtful Thursday Edition~
~Unwavering Confidence In U~

Welcome to the day that you realize that your chances of success in any undertaking can always be measured by your belief in yourself! Today’s Mental Meal is dedicated to having unwavering confidence! Self-Confidence is the feeling of trust in one’s abilities, qualities, and judgment…. It is rooted in the word SELF, which means that it comes from within and CANNOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES come from anywhere else!

As long as we keep looking for someone else to validate who we are, we will forever be doomed to depend on others for our success and happiness! It is imperative to realize that at this very moment you are the ONLY person that can guarantee your bliss and piece of mind and what you believe about yourself is what is MOST important!

Some people will call it arrogant or conceit but by no means should you give power to their insecurity! Those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind! Have unwavering belief in yourself and know that the moment you find joy from within is the absolute moment that NOTHING CAN STOP YOU!! Get out of your own way and become who your higher power has gifted you to become! Don’t waste YOU trying to fit in! #DoRemember: You were born to stand out!!

~Snacks~

“As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.”-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

“If you have a dream, don’t just sit there. Gather courage to believe that you can succeed and leave no stone unturned to make it a reality.”-Roopleen

“When you’re comfortable and content with who you are, the voices of others who try and define, control or direct you are not important.”-Rachel Robins

“It’s none of your concern what others say or think about you. Your happiness is your own responsibility.”-Richelle E. Goodrich

“You crave winning and fear losing instead of just doing. To succeed you must remove your self-imposed limitations.”-Wayne Gerard Trotman,
Old 03-13-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
I'm a very fearful person myself Rochele, so I get it. My personality is to always think "now what could go wrong here." Glass half empty - yup!

I'm not always successful at this, but in times like what you describe, I try and remember that fear isn't a bad thing. Fear is what keeps us all out of trouble if we are listening to it. It kept our forefathers alive by telling them to run away from tigers or to take cover in a lightening storm. Fear is real. Fear is to be respected because it's telling you there could be danger ahead. That's instinctual. It's not a bad thing at all! Everyone has fear. Some listen to it, some don't....courage isn't the absence of fear, courage is facing it. I worry about people who don't listen at all to fear.....they are usually tiger bait quickly.

I have found that the trick is to listen to fear, and then weigh it against reality. Then take steps to lessen your risk to the greatest possible degree. Then adjust again. Then adjust again....fine tuning the plan until every outcome is thought about and measured.

Then, I take Dale Carnegie's advice in his book "How to stop worrying and start living!" ~ imagine the worst possible outcome and accept it. Really hard to do, but usually the worst possible outcome isn't all the bad once you've done your homework.

Totally recommend the Carnegie book. I'm not an extrovert - but introverts can take the plunge after they do their homework. Once the homework is done, it helps me relax and to have fun.

I bet your artistry is beautiful.
Very well stated LG
Old 03-13-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Brooksie, are you doing ok?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I wonder if Brooksie got outta dodge, so tp speak. From the news I saw, the air quality was very poor and she mentioned being only blocks away. Maybe she is with her aunt or something for a spell, until the neighborhood is safe, secure and with all utilities?

But, thinking of her too.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post

I do this too, lol. My dad would always say to me, "What is the worst thing that will happen if you ...." it might have been, I would fail a test, or class. And, he would quip back, "Okay, so you take it again! No big deal." Not like your life is at risk or anything. He was very logical and could talk me down off of that panic when I was in college or making career choices at a younger age.

I will have to look for that book. Thank you.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
Brooksie, are you doing ok?
Hey guys I'm ok, thanks for asking. Just been inside hiding out. I'm headed to work in a couple of hours.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Good afternoon all, from another sunny day here !

I went to my AA home group last night and we had a special guest speaker form the US who shared his story. This chap has been sober for 35 years. It took him 7 years of relapsing from alcohol and drugs before he finally managed to get sober. Gosh, he was so eloquent and fluent ! Anyway, he didnt really mention anything new about his recovery programme (follow the 12 Steps, etc) but what was interesting was that despite many consultations with famous psychiatrists, counsellors, etc, none of them were able to diagnose his malady. In the end, he figured he suffered from spiritual depression rather than clinical depression. He did go to rehab and then went to AA. A very interesting share indeed !

Its quiet here ! I hope all are well. Love and thanks to all

Old 03-13-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hey friends. I've been working for almost 17 hours straight. I'm at home now didn't want to drive home super late. I still have more studying to do tonight and tomorrow morning before the final exams. I'd never be able to work this hard if I wasn't sober. Not feeling too hot but I get a week off. I am going to sleep all day and all night! I cannot wait.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
Hey friends. I've been working for almost 17 hours straight. I'm at home now didn't want to drive home super late. I still have more studying to do tonight and tomorrow morning before the final exams. I'd never be able to work this hard if I wasn't sober. Not feeling too hot but I get a week off. I am going to sleep all day and all night! I cannot wait.
Super good luck Rebarde ! Swot till you drop ... kidding