Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 27

Old 02-25-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

**Girly hijack**

After work today I did some shopping, and ended up getting a really awesome new dress. I'm so excited about it! I'm the keynote speaker at a women's conference next week, and it will be perfect. Now I need jewelry.

**end hijack**

NL, that's awesome! Nice work! I like the response of trying to keep your blood sugar down, too. One I've got in my back pocket to use one day, if needed, is, "My system just doesn't respond as well to that as it used to." Someone shared it with me around the holidays and I thought it was good because it's TRUE. And who could argue? They don't want me sick, right?

How are you doing now, 1StepUp?

We had a guy hit 31 years at our meeting last week. That. Is. So. Fabulous. And he's happy and fun and laid back and lives a full and good life. (His wife comes, too, and she's got around 20 years. She's one of the most non-assumingly brilliant people I've ever met.) There is nothing missing there. And isn't that what our AVs try to tell us? That we're somehow missing out? Well, we're not missing out on anything GOOD. We ARE missing out on hangovers, shakes, fuzzy-mindedness, blackouts, unexplained bruises, selfishness, and disappointing our loved ones. I'm okay with missing out on THAT stuff! We just don't need it. It won't make us happier. It won't make life more fun. Those are lies we believed, but I don't believe them anymore because I've learned the truth.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=PeanutButterCup;4494631]
We had a guy hit 31 years at our meeting last week. That. Is. So. Fabulous. And he's happy and fun and laid back and lives a full and good life. (His wife comes, too, and she's got around 20 years. She's one of the most non-assumingly brilliant people I've ever met.) There is nothing missing there. And isn't that what our AVs try to tell us? That we're somehow missing out? Well, we're not missing out on anything GOOD. We ARE missing out on hangovers, shakes, fuzzy-mindedness, blackouts, unexplained bruises, selfishness, and disappointing our loved ones. I'm okay with missing out on THAT stuff! We just don't need it. It won't make us happier. It won't make life more fun. Those are lies we believed, but I don't believe them anymore because I've learned the truth.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

So many great posts! I think you are all super fantastic. Your accomplishments and your struggles both motivate me. Thank you!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:49 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
And no this isn't a regular thing - I think this email was coming clean about her problem and no more lying.

I apologized to them both about any part I played asking my mom to buy things for me and the baby. I feel bad, like I have responsibility for asking for things. I had no idea but maybe I asked for too much knowing my mom would say yes, though I didn't know she was creating debt.
((((Renarde)))) None of this was your fault!!

And the debtors anonymous is a 12 step program that might be helpful? Dunno if there is a shopping addiction 12-step group but I imagine there is!

You have been through the fire in these 6 months and stayed so strong!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Grace!!!! Congrats on 6 months!!! Awwww yeah!! Soooo excited and happy for and proud of you!
Old 02-25-2014, 11:15 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Grace - what you wrote to Clemence's AV was beautiful and insightful and supportive and- you just totally rock!

1Step - Rewards of sobriety? Clarity, accountability, being there for your girls. There are no cash and prizes, but it has been my experience that the little things add up over time.

Someone said recently in a meeting: "I don't care if I win or lose, but if I don't drink I am at least in a position where I can win." I hope you are able to get out of the insanity trap and come back soon! I'm praying for you

A person from my home group with two years of sobriety relapsed about a month ago and came back a little over week ago. After the meeting she came to dinner with our group (which she hadn't done in a while) and it was interesting talking to her for a few reasons.

It was interesting hearing her perspective on why she relapsed (she wanted wine and thought she could moderate), but even more interesting was seeing her friends with years of sobriety "12-step" her or help her figure out where her thinking began to falter and, through conversation compare and contrast her sick thinking with her sobriety. It was pretty fascinating to watch.

I was told by another person at dinner that the BEST case for someone who relapses is to come right back into the program and start counting days again. Those who are willing and able to do that have a chance. It sucks at first but at then it gets better. The worst case? Death. For me, relapse is life or death. I have almost killed myself before with pills and drunk driving and reckless behavior and I don't ever want to put myself in those situations again!

But it made me think that if I ever do relapse (because unfortunately I'm not guaranteed lifelong sobriety), I hope I have a clear path back into the program of AA where I can start to piece myself back together and get the help and support that I need!

I had my first writing class today which was amazing. I'm so excited to begin working on my spec! I already have a premise and the beginnings of an outline for my episode so I can't wait to see it come into fruition! I belong at the writers' table. I can feel it in my gut! It's an amazing feeling.

I'm back at my aunt's and will be here alone again tomorrow but I feel MUCH better after asking her to put her pharmacy away!!
Old 02-25-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Thanks 1step, and how are you doing? Grace's and Peanutbuttercup's posts about the devious nature of the AV really helped me. We really aren't missing out on ANYTHING by staying sober. Quite the reverse.

Well done Newleaf for staying so strong over those 2 evenings; that must have been hard but having done it, strengthened your sobriety. It sounds like you have a lot of children to keep you busy. I know they are older, so are mine, but they still need us.

Good to hear you so positive Brooksie. Your group sounds like a great support. And exciting about the writing class. If I had my time again I would do something similar. I'm sure it will be very rewarding

Good morning too to everyone else in the class. The sun is shining here. Fingers crossed for a lovely day
Old 02-26-2014, 02:09 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Congratulations Grace 6 months is huge

Hectic week here builder still doing work looking forward to it being finished now fell off the healthy eating wagon it's a case of what ever is easy for now really don't want to put weight on so going to have to be careful next week when house is up and running again.

Hope you all having a good week
Old 02-26-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear from you Tallia
D
Old 02-26-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee x

It's good to have half hour to catch up with you all

Problems with plumbing etc at home both in kitchen and bathroom even down to needing new cooker it's finally shaping up and can now use dishwasher and washing machine yay oh and have a shower

I had a phone call from hubby last week 11.30pm I was not amused anyway he said he's starting to miss me I am starting not to miss him to be honest not had much time

Can't say I haven't thought about drinking but I resisted the thought of admitting to all you and reseting day count stopped me (not that I remember exact day it was a rainy day in December which doesn't narrow it down think it rained everyday in December

Training a new girl in work to she's got today off starting properly next Monday oh we had a burst pipe there to I think I am jinxed lol
Old 02-26-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Brooksie, I'd love to hear more about the class. I'm a writer, too.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Tallia, you amaze me! You have so many plates spinning. I love how you say your ex has started missing you but you haven't started missing him. That speaks volumes. And I am with you on being accountable to this group about our day count. Sometimes that is the only thing that has kept me from picking up: pride. I guess in this case pride is a good thing if it keeps us on the straight and narrow! Keep at it, girlfriend. You are an inspiration.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Great posts here about the AV, and resistng it. It was calling me last night, but I thought about how good I have been feeling, how well I have been sleeping, and the 5 pounds I have lost and just ate some chocolate.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

~~~Food for Thought ~ Humpday Edition~~~
~~~ Kill Your Mediocrity~~~

Welcome to the day that you say enough is enough and make a decision begin to push yourself as hard as you can to get what you deserve out of life! Today’s Mental Meal is dedicated to saying NO to mediocrity!!

If you haven't gotten the email or the UPS/Fedex package You are great! You are powerful beyond measure! Nothing can stop you! You are a force to be reckoned with! You exceed all expectations! You give 100% in everything you do! You maximize your full potential because obstacles can not stop you…. they only make you stronger!!

Effective immediately you must vow to keep these thoughts in your mind and move accordingly!! You were not put on this earth to be regular!! It is no longer OK to just survive!! Life is for living so it’s time to live it to the fullest!! No more excuses, just actions and results!! Intentions are for those who are not serious about success!!! We no longer intend to do anything!!! WE JUST DO!!!! We know what we want out of life and we will not compromise for anything or anyone!!! We are on day 57 of 2014 and if we still want it, it’s still our year!! We will be the trailblazers for those who come behind us and when it’s all said and done, we will be proud of what we have accomplished!!! Mediocrity is dead!! First degree murdered!!! Obliterated!! There is no longer room for him!!!
NOW IS THE TIME!! NOTHING CAN STOP U....BUT U!!! (Drops mic)

~~The Snacks~~

“Stop letting your fear condemn you to mediocrity.”-Steve Maraboli,

“If you’ll not settle for anything less than your best, you will be amazed at what you can accomplish in your lives.”-Vince Lombardi

“Refuse to be average. Let your heart soar as high as it will.”-A. W. Tozer

“Excellence is the Result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.”-Ronnie Oldham

“If you don’t do it excellently, don’t do it at all. If it’s not excellent, it won’t be profitable or fun & if you’re not in business for fun or profit, what the hell are you doing there?”
-Robert Townsend
Old 02-26-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

I am in a better mood today rehab is still doing good my counselor says that I am making a lot of progress. I was not completely honest on Sunday I was homesick and missing my personal space. But I had been informed on Saturday that my wife had moved her boyfriend into our house. I called her she said she was proud of me for doing rehab but I am and will always be a no good drunk like the rest of my family. My therapist is working with me right now. I am feeling much better.

Congratulations everyone on the 6 months I wish I had the strength and power and will to have done it on my own. I am working on my illness one day at a time.
I could have bought a new sports car for my midlife crisis with the money I'm spending on rehab well that my company is spending.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Oh, Fish. I am so sorry to hear that about your wife. You are in the very best place for dealing with it, though. You are protected from your AV, and choices you might othrwise make to deal with it. You have support and therapy and friends to help you through it.

Maybe I should refrain, but it seems cruel to move her boyfriend into your home while you are working on recovery, and while you are not officially moved out in some legal way.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Nobody's fault but mine. The writing was on the wall I just couldn't get the message

Beware of those around you because they might be the ones to do you in and kick you in the head when you are down.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
Nobody's fault but mine. The writing was on the wall I just couldn't get the message

Beware of those around you because they might be the ones to do you in and kick you in the head when you are down.
(((Hugs))) Fishy do sorry to hear about your wife
Agree with this tell me about it xx
Old 02-26-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by 1stepup View Post
i cant stop once i start and im in a much worse place than my 'friends' that encouraged me. Stay strong and keep fighting this thing, its far worse once your back in the ring with it, i slipped because i couldn't see the rewards of being sober, its so hard to get it back though....
1step, I'm so worried for you. You CAN stop once you start. It isn't as hard as your addiction wants you to think it is. You can have sobriety back....immediately! Keep posting here. We are here for you friend.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Oh Fish, I'm sorry. It is cruel for her not only to move her boyfriend in your home, but to also say what she said. Very cruel...yet so self-serving, isn't it? Justifying her own behavior, by somehow making it your fault.

I'm glad people are there to help you. What she said isn't true. You'll be whatever you want to be.

You are such a wonderful guy. I'm so glad you are taking care of yourself and your illness.