Class of September 2013 - Part 27

Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
A beautiful morn bloomed for the Southeast Asian gecko,
His vacation villa with décor a la Art Deco;
Warm, lovely and humid was the Thai jungle,
It was everyone else who needed anti-fungal.
The little lizard was filled with peace,
Upside down on a ceiling that seemed like fleece.

In came the Workaholic doctor, needing a vacation;
Sunshine, warmth and a whole lot of meditation.
"Mr. Gecko, I'm from Sweden,
And Thailand is my Garden of Eden.
Cold-blooded reptile,
It's time for your exile!!"

The newt quickly blinked,
Scurrying before he became extinct,
Fear led to excrement,
A grave breach of gecko etiquette!!
The lizard bravely jumped around the room,
Evading the enraged vacationer's broom.

Tired and spent,
The small alligator did repent,
Giving his life to just make the broom stop,
*Cough* *Cough* "You got me Sir Judo Chop!"
And the little guy said his final good-bye,
The good doctor's home.....finally at peace....in the blink....of an eye.
*plays "in the arms of the angel"*
Old 02-23-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

So I'm at my aunts and wanted to put this out there:

Inside my aunts medicine cabinet is pharmacy complete with but not limited to benzos, pain pills, and muscle relaxers. I will be here all day by myself tomorrow before I pick up my cousin from the bus stop. Pre-recovery Brooksie, left alone with such medication would be in pharmaceutical heaven but that heaven has become hell for sober me. I started obsessing about what is in her medicine cabinet a few hours ago and I feel a bit trapped in my mind.

I'm not going to take anything, but that does not change the fact that I want to! I have thought about how nice it would be to take a Xanny or opiate vacay on her couch and check out for the better part of the afternoon.

Instead, I am going to do some step work, listen to Joe and Charlie, call someone, run and do a little boxing, take a bath in my cousins bathroom (where there are no pills) and watch walking dead. That should kill enough time before I have to pick up my cousin!
Old 02-23-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've often said it so I'll say it again - to me, the strength of our recovery doesn't lie in not having cravings. It all lies in what we do in response to those cravings.

The brOOKsie you are now doesn't need that crap. You have no need to steal.

I have every confidence in you brOOKsie - have a great day

D
Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Keep that positive attitude Brooksie. You are doing so well and you are strong enough to hear those cravings and dismiss them knowing how good you'll feel about it later.

Hope you're less homesick today Fish.

CONGRATULATIONS Renarde! Be very proud of yourself.

Thanks for the poems Lillian. I particularly liked the hope one
Old 02-24-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the love guys! I'm up at 4 am to go work at the hospital and boy am I glad I don't have a hang over! Just isn't worth it.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Brooksie, you can do this. Keep busy. I know how the beer in the basemant can haunt me here. I do know the feeling.

I feel better these days and while I was craving some yesterday/dinnertime, I feel very empowered that I just let it pass and feel clear-headed this morning.

You will feel strong for not taking anything once you are on the other side of it.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

OMG! I am sitting here typing, and a squirrell just scared the heck out of me, lol!! I guess I have a very clean sliding door(riiiiight). He was trying to jump into my kitchen, not realizing it was glass, and not an opening. Too funny! Probably eyeing the crumbs on my floor.

So, on a roll, again. Hopefully this one sticks. Been really good about my eating and exercise, no slips for a while, and lost about 5 of the pounds I packed on between Halloween and Feb 1st or so. So, I am about back at my usualy running weight over the past few years. I was lower after my gum surgery, lol. But at least I shed the winter weight, now to keep moving forward. Took 2.5 hard weeks to get off that 5 pounds.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

~~~Food For Thought ~ Thank God It's Monday Edition~
~~~Practice Some Illogical Thinking~~~

Welcome to the day that we realize that one plus one does not always equal two! Today’s mental meal is dedicated to defying conventional wisdom!

Logic is defined as a proper or reasonable way of thinking about or understanding something. While this is the definition that we have grown accustomed to knowing, what logic really is, is the art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding…

In plain English, Logic is based on our limitations and based on what we don’t know… So logic is not a FACT! The fact is that (As George Bearnard Shaw puts it) “The reasonable person adapts themselves to the conditions that surround them… The unreasonable person adapts surrounding conditions to themselves… Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable person.” In order to get to the next level of life where you achieve all of your dreams and aspirations you MUST begin to start thinking illogically! Stop following the crowd and then wondering why you only get as far as the crowd! Be courageous enough to jump out of your comfort zone and go in the unconventional direction! As the saying goes.. “Only dead fish go with the flow” Think Illogically and find your treasure!

~The Snacks~
“A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it.”Rabindranath Tagore

“If you challenge conventional wisdom, you will find ways to do things much better than they are currently done.”-Bill James

“Trust your hunches…. Hunches are usually based on facts filed away just below the conscious level.”-Dr. Joyce Brothers

“What does the brain matter compared with the heart?”-Virginia Woolf, Mrs. Dalloway
Old 02-24-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Thanks for the gecko poem Lily
I'll try to chase them out with a broom when I see them. I don't need any bad luck especially in sobriety.

Try not to think about it Brooksie.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Brooksie, I went to Disneyland last week with a girlfriend - we took our kids. The night before we stayed in a hotel. She brought wine. She and I used to drink wine together quite a bit. She asked when she arrived if it was ok to bring it, which was a bit of empty gesture since she already did bring it and it was sitting right in front of me. But oh well - she's not in charge of my sobriety.

Anyhoo....I didn't want to drink with her, but I did if that makes sense. It felt like that snake and the apple story from Genesis. Come to think of it, it probably was.

There's something very powerful with not being afraid of the bait. I did what you are doing in keeping busy with other things. I disconnected completely from the bottle in my mind. Didn't cross my mind again, even though my friend kept it on the table.

You are a strong powerful woman, who isn't afraid of anything. You're going to do great today.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Awesome gecko poem, Lil.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Hi everyone!

I made it through the day before picking up my cuz! I slept in which was awesome, took a nice hot shower and ate a healthy lunch.

It got intense for a minute after my shower (that I ended up taking in my aunts bathroom because of her bath products) during which a standoff occurred between me and my aunts medicine cabinet.

I had been texting my sponsor and the craving was powerful, trying to pull me toward the mirrored door telling me "it's ok just to look!" But I DIDN'T! I got dressed and got the **** out of there!!!

I'm proud of myself for getting through that. It was strong and uncomfortable.

Dee's post reminded me that what I had been doing before was STEALING, which is so sleazy! I always felt entitled and told myself that I deserved what I was taking and that a few pills would not be missed. Theft never came to mind.

I've been cutting way back on sugar, as I am the fattest I've ever been. I weighed myself yesterday and I have gained 30 lbs (13kg) since October!

Surprisingly I'm ok with that though, because I'm actually doing something about it! I know that if I take it one day at a time and am willing to work for it that the pounds will start to come off.

My cousin had some turtle ice cream pie last night and watching him eat it was torture!!! On top of the fact that my aunt told me that she had bought me some Nutella. I told her to put it away and not to tell me where it is!!!

So I had a dream last night about my cousins ice cream pie. At least I got to eat some in my dream!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

I knew you'd make it BrOOksie

D
Old 02-24-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Dee, you always know the right thing to say.

You're awesome Brooksie!!! I'm eating low carb ice cream. It's delicious.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Great job, Brooksie! You should be so proud of yourself! We are proud of you!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Got up at 4 am, worked over 12 hours at hospital, have terrible back pain and cough and just got an email from my parents that they are contemplating divorce due to some secret spending accounts if my moms that my dad accidentally discovered. Wtf?!?! I have six month sober and I would sure as hell like a drink right now.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey renarde - boy you're having a rough time of it right now.

You have enough things on your plate...try not to worry about your folks - they need to sort it out, and I hope they will

D
Old 02-24-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

(((Renarde)))
Good grief, you have had one helluva ride ride these past six months! Is this a new thing for your parents, to email you about their marital problems? If so, what a shock for you. I am so very sorry! Hopefully it was written in the heat of the moment and they will get things straightened out. At any rate, there is nothing you can (or should) do about that right now. Just take care of you and get some well-earned rest. Don't drink. It will only make things worse. Getting through days like this sober will make you stronger for the future.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. I so appreciate your words and they helped. I talked to them both and it was the saddest thing. Instead of drinking I talked to my mom and in telling her that she isn't the only flawed person out there I admitted to her that I am an alcoholic with six months sober. That was a huge step for me and I think it brought us closer.

My mom apparently has a spending addiction and has been lying to my dad. This has been a decades long thing that I thought was resolved.

Talking to them sounds straight out of friends and family forum here. I told my dad they need to find some AA and alanon style groups to attend. My mind is blown and I have to get back to work now and then up at 4 am again tomorrow.

I'm sorry if I haven't been as supportive lately and have been taking more than I give. My hours and commitments have been insane and I have been actively posting here instead of drinking and I have had a lot of triggers lately.

Thank you for accepting me and offering kindness. In three weeks my schedule will lighten again and I will be more present to everyone here. I feel so much gratitude for my class. Thank you for being here.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

And no this isn't a regular thing - I think this email was coming clean about her problem and no more lying.

I apologized to them both about any part I played asking my mom to buy things for me and the baby. I feel bad, like I have responsibility for asking for things. I had no idea but maybe I asked for too much knowing my mom would say yes, though I didn't know she was creating debt.