Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 8

Old 01-14-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Driver. We are so very excited for you.

This may or may not make sense ... but when I held my first child for the first time, I knew what my job was for the rest of my life. Before that I was tossing around ideas for different careers, locations, etc., trying to figure out my place in the world. Holding my daughter grounded me. Some of the questions don't go away, but I felt a peace in knowing that I was responsible for my child.

It's the toughest job in the world, but worth every step. You'll be a great father.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

You know, I thought I had my biggest "personal growth" period during this past recession. I really did grow in my spirituality and in my faith during that time, but of course, I conveniently left out the "body" component of mind, body, spirit. So starting this past summer, I really started taking care of my body and I can't believe the difference that has made. I like having all of you "cyber buddies" to help me continue on my personal growth. In my experience, active alcoholics are among the most selfish, immature, stunted people on earth, but recovering alcoholics are among the wisest souls I have ever encountered. I am grateful for my problems with alcohol because they have brought me to you all ~ among the wisest, most introspective, most compassionate people I have ever come across in my life!
Old 01-14-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Let's get to know each other better! What are five of your favorite things besides the obvious (your families)??
Old 01-14-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Let's get to know each other better! What are five of your favorite things besides the obvious (your families)??
Not in any particular order, and subject to change : )

Sushi
Vacations
Landscaping
Cooking
Baseball

Running, but I'm limited now
Old 01-14-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I've got way more than 5 and, like any poll, the Top 5 does change. Here, however, is a list of perennial Top 5 contenders:

Nature/Natural Science - especially desert landscapes (but I now live in the Midwest - go figure)
Walking/Hiking - anytime/anywhere/anyweather
Dogs - young, old, smelly, scruffy ... doesn't matter.
Grilling - men and fire. Enough said.
Theology - I'm going to keep thinking about it until I figure it all out.

I like the idea DD and I tried something similar during the holidays. May I suggest that someone each day post a Question of the Day (QOTD) which can be anything. If you got nothing just say "QOTD ... I got nothing" and the next person can get the ball rolling.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

WD...I like the QOTD idea...but I especially like the "I got nothing"...lol...Let's see...5 things....hmmm...

Beach/warm weather (Is that 2???)
Reading trashy novels (by anyone)
Researching (almost anything)
Cooking (learning how to make stuff using what is available here)
Carribbean Islands (not sure how I ended up here...on the Pacific...again)
Old 01-14-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Driver, congratulations!! You're going to be a great daddy. You're insightful and kind, and it sounds like your home will be filled with love. I just read an article yesterday about how wonderful it is to have twins. They always have someone there for them in each other.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

And now for my 5 favorite things:

Reading (anything, really, but memoirs are my favorite)
Dogs (I love them all, but pit bulls have a special place in my heart)
Backpacking
Yoga (my newfound love!)
Listening to music (just about any kind, depending on my mood)
Old 01-14-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

True, LS. My sister and I always say that the best thing my parents gave to us was each other!
Old 01-14-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Five favorites of mine:

Pets. We currently have three dogs, birds, guinea pigs and fish.

Reading. I love books. Barnes and Noble is one of my favorite places on earth.

Perfume and scented candles. I love good smells.

Treasure hunting. I have a good sense of style and I have a knack for finding interesting, beautiful things for amazing prices.

Anything that appeals to my spirituality. Books, music, yoga, meditation, spiritual quotes.

BTW, love the question of the day idea, Whodey! I will look forward to that.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Driver!

Double the blessing!

Fishy
Old 01-14-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
And now for my 5 favorite things:

Reading (anything, really, but memoirs are my favorite)
Dogs (I love them all, but pit bulls have a special place in my heart)
Backpacking
Yoga (my newfound love!)
Listening to music (just about any kind, depending on my mood)
Backpacking. I have done so a few times, but that was many years ago. Lately, however, I've been thinking about picking it up again, but I'm not sure how my 53 year old body would react. Thoughts?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Never did backpacking...the closest I got was camping...I think twice...My 58 y/o body prefers hotels w/room service....lol...
Old 01-14-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
Backpacking. I have done so a few times, but that was many years ago. Lately, however, I've been thinking about picking it up again, but I'm not sure how my 53 year old body would react. Thoughts?
I used to hike the Appalachian trail in my 20's. No such trails down here in south Florida. I used to love going to concerts, having attending probably close to 200. But I don't want to see my favorite bands play their geriatric tour. I guess I could have included dogs on the list.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
Never did backpacking...the closest I got was camping...I think twice...My 58 y/o body prefers hotels w/room service....lol...
Yes, I prefer to sleep on a comfortable bed now. Spoiled yes, but comfortable. I did my camping time growing up and with my son in Boy Scouts/cub scouts.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

My dream is to hike the Appalachian Trail! I want to do the whole thing. I'll have to split it into segments because I can't take half a year off to do it. I know I should be afraid of bears, but I'm really more afraid of mice running over me while I'm sleeping. Wimpy, I know.

WD, don't let your age stop you. You should be able to do it no problem with a little conditioning and the right equipment. If it's been a long time, you'll probably be amazed at how light the equipment can be now. The lighter it is, the pricier it is---but it makes the trip so much easier and more enjoyable. My top 3 pieces that I wouldn't backpack without: good hiking poles, a lightweight sleeping pad for under your sleeping bag (we have inflatable ones; they keep you off the ground so you stay warmer), and these seats that you put your sleeping pad in to make a chair. There is hardly anything better than having a soft seat by a fire after putting in some miles (and much better than sitting on a tick-infested log).
Old 01-14-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
My dream is to hike the Appalachian Trail! I want to do the whole thing. I'll have to split it into segments because I can't take half a year off to do it. I know I should be afraid of bears, but I'm really more afraid of mice running over me while I'm sleeping. Wimpy, I know.

WD, don't let your age stop you. You should be able to do it no problem with a little conditioning and the right equipment. If it's been a long time, you'll probably be amazed at how light the equipment can be now. The lighter it is, the pricier it is---but it makes the trip so much easier and more enjoyable. My top 3 pieces that I wouldn't backpack without: good hiking poles, a lightweight sleeping pad for under your sleeping bag (we have inflatable ones; they keep you off the ground so you stay warmer), and these seats that you put your sleeping pad in to make a chair. There is hardly anything better than having a soft seat by a fire after putting in some miles (and much better than sitting on a tick-infested log).
It's been a while but we used to carry freeze dried food and one of those water purifying kits. We never carried any fresh food that would attract bears. I never made it out of Pennsylvania or New Jersey, but there are some nice trails in northeast Pennsylvania as you head closer to the jersey border. I used to hike with an ex marine and we used to hike 35 or 40 miles on a three day weekend. The hardest part is getting up and down the mountain from the valleys.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
JL2013

5 things
- whitewater paddling
- playing guitar
- riding atvs
- watching a good movie/ reading a good book
- helping ppl (EMS)
........ That being said, it's odd as I read my list, I notice that for whatever reason, 2-3 of the things on my list I never do, or haven't done in at least a year. Wow.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
JL2013

My dream is to spend maximum time with the wife and kids, camping, and beach time with them also.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:39 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I guess I should join in with this class as my last drink was on October 25th 2013. Sat here on Jan 15th feeling very good about my progress and with life in general. There's one issue that starts to concern me. I have been separated from my wife of 11 years for nearly 18 months now. She moved away from the area but has since found out that I have quit drinking and has been in touch a couple of times. Both times she was drunk and in the last phone call she said I was her soul mate and that she still loved me. I still have feelings for her and know my drinking was the was the reason she left. During the phone call I said if she still loved me then she needed to tell me when she was sober. We met up and shared a meal together like friends do. The conversation again was like friends catching up on things but no mention of what she had said in the last phone call. I didn't push her on the issue but neither did she mention the word love.
I begin to wonder if this was just a case of her drunken talk and emotions from the past. Since she left me she's had a relationship with another guy which she says is over now.

I try not to ponder the future and let each day take care of itself. So far that's been working for me but where love and emotions are concerned it's a tough one.
Sorry for the rant I just felt like letting it out somewhere.