Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 8

Old 01-17-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

I had a BB gun too ... loved it! And a bow and arrow that I would shoot in the backyard.

Different times.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

DO NOT WAKE SLEEPING BABY

jl, it is a King Ding made by Topper toys (who used to also make the Dawn Doll; Barbies knock-off competitor). hope you are hacking out that night shift well bud. post often, I'm often here at night.

Trudging and DD, when I get overwhelmed, I try to do the one task that gets me the most bang for the buck...the satisfaction greases my wheels. sounds like you got it all under control trudging.

DD, it's interesting to see where the chips fall now that we are sober. some things about me I really like (which is remarkable; I'll leave it at that). Some things have elucidated themselves that I don't like (I'll leave it at that; but I do see them as an opportunity for growth).

Bil, you are just plain old cool! It's been fun and interesting getting to know you. LOL on monster. re-read that like 3 times!

missed qotd on place to live: far too many places I've not seen. But of what I have, like Bil and for same reasons, Western Europe seems cool. In US, I'd say SF bay area. Love watching those clouds come over the mountains on daily basis. I'd have to be near a big city. I like the action.

Missed qotd on what brings most tension in marriage (was that a qotd?): lovingly stated, DW is a slob! can I please have a clean, flat, dry surface somewhere in the house?!!!! Not much to beef about in the grand scheme.

Some favorite toys. Mattels Sizzlers - these cars were way ahead of their time. they brought em back 20 years later with the first Disney Cars movie. too cool.

Also from 70s was SSP cars (Super Sonic Power) with rip cords.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

I remember putting clothes pins and cards on bike spokes as well...wow, JL...you had all of the "cool Barbie stuff! Driver, don't remember a tension in marriage QOTD...lol...but, good to know
Old 01-17-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Omg!! Thanks for these "blasts from the past." JL, I remember "accidentally" poking a hole in our Stretch Armstrong to see what was inside. It was this really sticky thick hello. I, too, loved Barbies, Dawn dolls, and rearranging the furniture in my doll house. However my all time favorite was paper dolls. I had a million of them. I even would buy bridal magazines and make my own. I even collected them as an adult for a while.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

You guys are the coolest! Catching up:

Five fave things - Reading, running, sleeping, movies and music
Place I would like to live - I am going to Ireland in May and I might not come back! LOL
Marriage - I am getting a divorce so I will save my complaints for the lawyer.
Yoga - I like it but the slow pace drives me bonkers sometimes
Toys - nintendo all the way!

Billr - I know you are not an AA guy but there is a concept that I really dig and want to share. It is that in helping others stay sober we help ourselves. And I just want you to know that your posts help me stay sober. I hope you don't go anywhere soon!

Driver - congrats on the babies! You are learning quick (not waking a sleeping babe). Sending lots of healing vibes to the little one!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Cynderino, Glad to hear from you again. I was just going ask if anybody had heard from you. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. Sobriety is an ongoing, evolving state of mind mind. Right now I am really at peace with the whole concept of remaining sober. I get a lot out of others posts as well, so I'm glad that it is helping you.

Driver, as for don't wake the sleeping baby, well, we also learned never to be too quiet when they are sleeping either. Nothing worse than getting them used to absolute quiet to sleep. I swear my kids could sleep through an earthquake now. Then again they are teens.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

True about noise and babies, Bilr! A couple of mine had their days and nights mixed up. We actually had to play a radio in the nursery for them to sleep or turn on our very loud dryer!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
Cynderino, Glad to hear from you again. I was just going ask if anybody had heard from you.
Yeah, I second that. So glad you are still with us Cyn. I hope you are at peace with the divorce (or as much as can be). Nice work staying strong through this...proud to know you.

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
Driver, as for don't wake the sleeping baby, well, we also learned never to be too quiet when they are sleeping either. Nothing worse than getting them used to absolute quiet to sleep. I swear my kids could sleep through an earthquake now. Then again they are teens.
Thanks Bil. Yup, we've discussed this and come to conclusion that we're not mousing around at home. That's just not practical.

DW will be discharged tomorrow. Looks like Monday for Little (Big has been with us since Wednesday night). All of them are Kicking Ass!

Tobers, all of the toys you mention can easily be found on EBay.

jl, was just looking up your evel knievel...too cool...I fully remember having awesome times smashing up that one! It was much like the SSPs I mentioned.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday everyone!

I woke up at 8:00 am which is late for me. Temperatures are down in the 40's now, and we haven't put on the heat, so it is great sleeping weather. I even made homemade chicken noodle soup yesterday in honor of the colder temperatures. It is not often that I have been in the mood for soup in South Florida.

Last night was a win for sobriety. My daughter went out with friends and was supposed to get a ride home. Well, at 11:30 I got a call asking if I could pick her up. My wife was already asleep because she had a crazy week. Back in the day I would have been passed out and in no shape to pick her up.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
JL2013

Wow I'm tired. I just typed this long epic post talking to everyone and tired, fumble finger sent it somewhere off into vapor land; poof ! I ended up on jam 2012 page. Never saw the post again. (Yawn)-
I-phone stands for "idiot" with me anyway. Y'all have a good day. Welcome back Cyn !
Old 01-18-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2013 View Post
Wow I'm tired. I just typed this long epic post talking to everyone and tired, fumble finger sent it somewhere off into vapor land; poof ! I ended up on jam 2012 page. Never saw the post again. (Yawn)-
I-phone stands for "idiot" with me anyway. Y'all have a good day. Welcome back Cyn !
JL, I've done that a few times. If I'm typing a message in here, and go to use another app, a lot of times my message disappears. I think SR must time you out after a certain period of inactivity but I'm not sure.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

I always worried about our kids needing picked up on weekend nights, Bilr. Not that it stopped me from imbibing, though. Tonight is my girls night out. We are going to a bar to listen to a band. I am the designated driver. Like I said, this will be a big experiment for me. I can't wait to observe my feelings about the whole thing.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I always worried about our kids needing picked up on weekend nights, Bilr. Not that it stopped me from imbibing, though. Tonight is my girls night out. We are going to a bar to listen to a band. I am the designated driver. Like I said, this will be a big experiment for me. I can't wait to observe my feelings about the whole thing.
Go and enjoy the music and friends. I'm sure that you'll see that there won't be a desire to drink once you are there and into it. I watched a few bands on the cruise and when I looked around less than half the people had an alcoholic drink. Sometimes we fool ourselves into thinking alcohol is needed in order to have a good time. In reality a lot less people drink than don't, and even those that do, a very small percent has a problem with it.

I'm sure you will be reporting back in the morning how refreshed you are and how good it felt to be the DD (designated driver). I know I felt great being able to drive my daughter and friends home last night.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

I have to agree...it is always so very interesting to look around and realize that most people don't drink the way that I did....
Old 01-18-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
I have to agree...it is always so very interesting to look around and realize that most people don't drink the way that I did....
It's funny but that ~10% makes up for it at a lot of places. I had season tickets for the Philadelphia Eagles and you would have thought everybody drank there. But in reality a vast majority more didn't drink but the ones that did made up for the rest of them. It's funny but I hardly ever drank at those games because A) drinking in the cold is no fun. B) I usually waited until I got home that night.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Bilr and DD, I love being able to be the designated driver now. I used to hate driving at all (my husband usually drives and driving in the city intimidated me for a long time), and I thought being the designated driver would be a punishment. When my husband and I would go out before, I knew he'd always drive and he'd only have maybe two drinks the whole night anyway, while I'd drink and drink and drink. But now, I feel so good and responsible when I can tell my husband to enjoy himself without worrying how we're getting home because I'll drive. I love being able to step up when needed now, as you've been able to for your kids and your friends. DD, have a great time with the girls. Just order your n/a drink and get on with having fun and watching the band. I've found that the less I make a big deal about it in my own head, the more I can just enjoy the moment.

I was invited out to 2 different birthday parties tonight, but I've decided to stay home instead. Part of it is that I don't want to be out with a bunch of people I don't know, but mostly I want to hang out under some blankets on the couch with my husband and dogs. In the past, I'd have gone to either party because it would be an excuse to go out and drink all night. Now, though, I think I've been more attuned to what I really want to do with all things considered. Taking alcohol out of the equation helps me see the rest of the picture---it's eye-opening.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Soooo...WD...where is the QOTD? LOL....
Old 01-18-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Hi, friends. Just reporting back. Got home from Girls Night Out, two bars and two bands, being designated driver to some very drunk friends and honestly, I had a great time and I did not miss drinking at all. (of course, I liked my non-alcoholic drinks, plenty of cranberry and lime and water. It feels more natural to have a drink in hand in these kinds of venues.) Guys, this sobriety thing has been such a revelation to me! I started drinking in my early teens to "fit in", hang with the popular crowd and honestly, for all of my life, I equated drinking to fitting in. I knew that I wouldn't drink tonight, but I was worried that I would be white knuckling miserable, and that I wouldn't be fun, etc. but I actually had a good time, had my same raunchy sense of humor, and even ventured out on the dance floor. I was definitely ready to leave at 11 and luckily my friends were, too. Two were essentially comatose by the time we left. One of my boss' childhood guy friends tagged along and he asked me early in the night why I wasn't drinking and I said I was the designated driver. He asked me later again about my not drinking and I told him the other part of the truth. I said my mom has a real alcohol problem and I saw myself headed in that direction, so I quit. I know I didn't owe him any explanations but I sensed that he was someone who was questioning his own drinking. I didn't feel ashamed. The answer kind of flowed right out of me. At the end of the night, he told me he really respects me and that made me feel really good. In the end, I had a good time, but the bar scene doesn't jazz me like it used to - it is a fun thing to do every once in a while, but nothing I would want to do on a regular basis ~ probably the ways things should be. Couldn't wait to share. Night, night Tobers!
Old 01-19-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

DD, Glad to hear that you had a good time. I'm sure the "really drunk" ones will be feeling today wishing they didn't imbibe as much. That's the one thing I don't miss about it, how crappy I would be feeling right now. But you showed yourself that you can still go out and have a good time.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Good for you, DD! Yes, I find that having a (non-alcoholic) drink in my hand really helps. In fact, I always have a drink with me....water or iced tea. Can't imagine the feelings of a hangover these days....thank goodness! Feels so great to wake up each day clear minded and with purpose....