View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
LittleSparrow

My dream is to hike the Appalachian Trail! I want to do the whole thing. I'll have to split it into segments because I can't take half a year off to do it. I know I should be afraid of bears, but I'm really more afraid of mice running over me while I'm sleeping. Wimpy, I know.

WD, don't let your age stop you. You should be able to do it no problem with a little conditioning and the right equipment. If it's been a long time, you'll probably be amazed at how light the equipment can be now. The lighter it is, the pricier it is---but it makes the trip so much easier and more enjoyable. My top 3 pieces that I wouldn't backpack without: good hiking poles, a lightweight sleeping pad for under your sleeping bag (we have inflatable ones; they keep you off the ground so you stay warmer), and these seats that you put your sleeping pad in to make a chair. There is hardly anything better than having a soft seat by a fire after putting in some miles (and much better than sitting on a tick-infested log).