Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 8

Old 01-20-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

We'd love to have you, AO!
Old 01-20-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

AO,

We don't charge an admission and there aren't any invitations needed. Welcome on board.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Wow, this is all it was cracked up to be. Tiring to say the least. It really is a full time job. But boy is it a labor lof love. Parenthood sure does make one think in new ways. I feel like I've been waiting for this (parenthood) my whole life. I aim not to screw this up.

We came home on Saturday night with baby boy. Baby girl came last night (supoosed to be today but was doing really well).

With no further adieu: Introducing Aubrey Dixon (aka Big Ass Kicker aka Fred Mertz) and his little sister Alexandra Leigh (aka Little Ass Kicker aka Latch Monkey). Their middle names are our middle names.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LAK.jpg (57.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 01-20-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Yes, welcome AO...and SM....it seems it also sounds like you may have 1-2 drinks after 50-60 days or so and then say. "What the he!!"...and just continue on???
Old 01-20-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Awwwww.....Driver!!!! Soooooo cute! Love the names too!!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

The askkickers are gorgeous and I LOVE their names! My daughter is actually named Aubrey (one of those very cool unisex names. )

Yes, parenting is all that and a bag of chips . . . . but I can't imagine life without the experience. I read once that having a child makes you realize the depth of your love and each additional child makes you realize the breadth of your love. My four babies bear my heart on their legs.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations again Driver - great pics - they look so cute

welcome AO

DD I'm glad it works for you, but not a fan of Kava Kava myself - It can be an intoxicant for some and I've seen what the plant can do here in the Pacific.

SM if you're thinking about supplements, best thing to do is have a chat with your Dr

D
Old 01-20-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Driver,

Glad to see the pictures and the names. You will have your hands full but love it.

Dee, the Kava Kava in the states is in a pill form and sold at most pharmacies and health food stores. I believe what you have down there is in a tea form and drank, correct. I only used it in the beginning of sobriety to help the first week or so. I took it a couple of times since when I had some anxiety. It does help take the edge off, and if anything it makes you feel blah. But it is best to talk with your doctor first, but I only used it during necessary times.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

My wife had surgery today and is home, resting, and doing fine. Now I have to be the doting husband for the next few days. She wants me to drive her to work tomorrow but I told her she can work from home and get more rest.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bilr - In terms of my own experience, I was speaking of the tea form....but I've seen people on SR have trouble with the pill form too (we have that here too).

thanks for the chance to clarify

D
Old 01-20-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Welcome AlphaOmega.

Oops.

I'm an introvert. For sure.

Wife is an extrovert. For sure.

When we leave a party having had equal amount of fun socializing with folks, her battery is now charged and ready for next party. Meanwhile, my battery is drained and ready to go home.

It's funny how they say opposites attract. But birds of a feather flock together.

Well which one is it dammit?! I need order.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Driver,

My wife and I are opposites in a lot of ways. But, we both react the same way at parties. We have fun but are happy to be home because it is mentally exhausting. She is about the opposite of an alcoholic as you can get. Me, I just loved catching a buzz. She loves to sleep in on a Saturday morning. Me, I'm up earlier than everyone. She loves watching her shows on Netflix. I get very bored watching tv. I live to eat, and she eats to live.

My friends and I were birds that flocked together. Luckily I haven't lived closer than 2 hours from them in years. She used to tolerate our drunken weekends years ago but that would have gotten old fast. Sometimes I wonder how much harder it would have been to stop drinking if I had friends that lived closer. I know I'm an introvert because I haven't really made any friends in almost two years down here.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  
JL2013

Whoo HOO! Hug them BABIES !
Old 01-20-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Welcome, AO!

Driver, the babies are perfect! I love their names, too. And the order that you have with your wife is the right order for you.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trudgingagain View Post
Yes, welcome AO...and SM....it seems it also sounds like you may have 1-2 drinks after 50-60 days or so and then say. "What the he!!"...and just continue on???
pretty accurate indeed! The 'what the hell part' only lasts 1-2 more days but still enough to throw me for a loop.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congratulations again Driver - great pics - they look so cute welcome AO DD I'm glad it works for you, but not a fan of Kava Kava myself - It can be an intoxicant for some and I've seen what the plant can do here in the Pacific. SM if you're thinking about supplements, best thing to do is have a chat with your Dr D
I think I just need to get to the point of full acceptance. I have done this at home but haven't properly faced this reality on the road. I don't drink, period, no exceptions.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
SM, I think that it is very healthy to do the self exploration that you doing. When I was in therapy for family of origin issues, (In my twenties) my therapist strongly felt that both of my parents were narcissists. I started worrying that I was a narcissist, too. Like JL said, the very fact that you are exploring your problems and that you are open to constructive criticism, would probably not put you too far on the narcissistic scale, at least not at a toxic level. We are all narcissistic to an extent and most drinking alcoholics show traits of narcissism, but a lot of that is due to the addiction. I have noticed that you honestly haven't given one of these big meetings a,sober chance. If I were in your shoes, I would play the old "I am on medication" card. (Maybe even put yourself on antabuse) Really make yourself white knuckle through one of these events. I think it may be more built up in your mind that doing them sober w would be too hard. The events that I have made it through as sober that I really thought I couldn't have been building blocks to my success. Take kava kava, an OTC natural supplement for anxiety if needed. I did not get any confidence from not drinking on the week days because they are not hard for me. Even in my hardest drinking days I did not drink a lot on the week days. It was when I really started counting sober weekends and boozy social a nd family events and go through these events sober, that I really started to feel more confident in my sobriety.
During the past several months I have had two sober travels and three drunken ones. I stayed very close to everyone here and even made a point of checking in the occasions that I made it work. The times I failed, I basically fell off the radar here until it was over. I guess I've got to stay more committed here no matter how I feel and don't let my guard down again.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Feeling that much better today, 3rd day now. Since officially quitting in July, three relapses later, always the same pattern. Three strikes on me now, no more chances. Willing to do whatever it takes this time. I have an illness and must break it before it breaks me. I've lost too much already but I can still climb out of this hole.
More change is needed and will figure that out soon. I've got another trip in 2 weeks but family is coming with me so I'll be fine. The trips will not stop unless I change careers so I have to deal with them better, avoid the dangerous people and places, and that's it.

Somehow I will find strength from all of this and turn it around. I will find inspiration in all of you. Grateful we are in this together. After my latest binge, I nearly didn't come back. Was going to delete the app from my devices and just accept my doomed fate as a chronic binge drinker. Somehow I forced myself back despite the shame. Glad I did but if I fail again, I will be done.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:22 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
My wife had surgery today and is home, resting, and doing fine. Now I have to be the doting husband for the next few days. She wants me to drive her to work tomorrow but I told her she can work from home and get more rest.
Bil,

I hope your wife recovers smoothly and quickly. I know you will use this for the opportunity it is.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:34 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
Somehow I will find strength from all of this and turn it around. I will find inspiration in all of you. Grateful we are in this together.
SM, while not encouraged, relapse is part of the learning and healing porcess. You know this as well as any of us here.

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
After my latest binge, I nearly didn't come back. Was going to delete the app from my devices and just accept my doomed fate as a chronic binge drinker. Somehow I forced myself back despite the shame. Glad I did but if I fail again, I will be done.
Just gonna be blunt bud. That's not a good strategy. And how's that gonna work for the wife and kids when you essentailly tell them you've resigned self to fate of chronic binge drinker?