# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of October 2013 Part 2

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2013-a-20.html

D
Old 10-08-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pumpkin, Thanks for the well-wishes. Parts of it got better! Then I had (got) to go to the dentist for a "re-treat" -- read, re-do an old filling because of an infection. Then I took the opportunity to get my flu shot. Gotta love needles!

After all that, it would NORMALLY be a "crack-open-a-bottle-of-wine" day. But I'll hit the orange soda and ibuprofen instead.

No vino tonite!

Fishy
Old 10-08-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! So many people, so many great posts, this is definitely the class to be in! I can barely keep up with all the happenings. Welcome newcomers:-)

Day 6 done for me. Getting right back into the thick of things at work and feeling good about it. This after my mind was literally hijacked last week while traveling for work, breaking 2+ months sobriety, and going on a binge. Well I've recovered now, got revised plans and support in place, and more committed than ever. Can't wait to get back to a month sober. I really felt as though my body was healing and my mind was becoming un-numbed during the period of sobriety I had building over the summer and into the fall. That's an amazing feeling and totally worth giving up the booze for - in addition to all of the other obvious benefits, of course. We'll get there my friends. Looking forward to checking in with this class a month from now and having these feelings again. Have a good night all and stay sober. The first days are the toughest but worth enduring.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For those just quitting, has anyone tried the herb kudzu (found in most vitamin shops) which helps flush your liver and is supposed to keep you from drinking as much. I used it the first few dry nights and it worked for me. Do some research online but IMO it is better than prescription meds like Valium or benzo's which is trading one addiction for the other.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello All,

Just catching up with all the posts since last night. I'm struck by the collective wisdom of the group -- pretty incredible the things we learn through adversity. Thanks to all of you for your honesty and support.

Wishing you all the best ;-)
Old 10-08-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hardly even thinking about alcohol lately. DH made a mojito tonight and asked me if I wanted a virgin one, he was making virgin ones for the kids too. I had one and it was very tasty and I didn't even miss the alcohol. Nice feeling! cravings have been almost non existent lately! Day 24 here
Old 10-08-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Tobies.

Just came home from my first wine-free book club EVER!! (seriously, one time I hosted book club and my son asked if it were wine club or book club) No slurring, repeating the same points, making long drawn-out pointless remarks, for this member! Yay! Finishing Day 10 . . . .

See ya tomorrow. Sweet peaceful dreams for all!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's great DD! It seems like you are re-learning how to enjoy yourself...I'm glad it's working for you.

SM- I had 100 days over the summer, and I thought I had kicked the "I need this all the time" habit and picked up the drinking again. Less frequently but just as severe. I felt like never before at 100 days...I can't wait to get back there...tomorrow will be day 18 for me. Grrr.

Goodnight all.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ctrl View Post
That's great DD! It seems like you are re-learning how to enjoy yourself...I'm glad it's working for you. SM- I had 100 days over the summer, and I thought I had kicked the "I need this all the time" habit and picked up the drinking again. Less frequently but just as severe. I felt like never before at 100 days...I can't wait to get back there...tomorrow will be day 18 for me. Grrr. Goodnight all.
Can't wait to hit 100 days. Once I get that far I will never ever consider giving up that time again. Giving up the 74 days I had was like a massive kick to the groin that had me laying on the ground for days. Now I'm back, day 7 begins now and I'm starting to pick up some momentum again. Each day is slightly better than the last, literally.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi to all! 😋

Just checking in on day 2, feeling ok apart from my gums n teeth, have to go and have 3 taken out at hospital, have gum disease n I'm sure it's from the drinking over the years. Slept well last night but then I generally do the night after bingeing on booze!!

Haven't told anyone yet that that I'm not drinking, not even my partner, as have done so before and I've failed miserably. Got to do it this time and the weekend is looming which is when my Demon comes out to play, Even though I drink every/every other day, I am better in the week as I know I have to get up and drive the kids to school, I will start in the week about 4pm and finish bout 8pm, then crash on the couch once kids are in bed. Friday and Sat are my biggest downfall, when I know I don't have to get up early or drive, the demons are out in full force and I get totally blind drunk.

I don't want Friday to come this week....

Ellexx
Old 10-09-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Elle, I was dreading the first weekend and I got through by literally spending every spare minute on here.
The 'buzz' when you get through a weekend, especially the first one, is better than ANY buzz you ever got from alcohol
You can do this - we're all behind you x
Old 10-09-2013, 02:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SkyeSea,

Thank you so much, gonna need all the support I can get.

I know it's going to be hard, just need to get through this first weekend.

Elle xx
Old 10-09-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good morning Tobies!

Welcome to the group, Elle. There is lots of good info here to help you overcome this weekend. Read and post...we're here for you!

SM - 100 days was my goal. I thought that if I could kick the thinking behind the drinking, then my disease would follow. So I incorporated moderation. Nope. I can't control alcohol, whether I want to get drunk or not. It's a beast I can't control. The few weeks of "moderation" were black-out filled disasters...but at least I found SR in the process.

Have a great day everyone...hump day!
Old 10-09-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Elle - I stocked up on ice-cream and sweets and anything else I fancied - I felt that it was a way of still celebrating the weekend, if you know what I mean
Now, it's not so important, but it really did help that first one x
I also bought things I only usually buy at Christmas or special occasions and just let myself have whatever I wanted.

You can do this Good thing about SR is, with it being international, there is always someone around x
Old 10-09-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am making a list of what to do during the weekend, cleaning my storage room, taking the kids on a hike in the woods, excersising, making good healthy food and so on. I have no alcohol in the house and just need to stay away from the stores until Saturday 15. After that all is closed here until Monday. But it will be a struggle.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone. Not so chipper today, as I now have a full blown sinus infection. Day 18 sober.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You know how when a relationship ends, you end up HATING that person? That is how I feel about alcohol now. I HATE it. I hate what it has done to me. I hate what it has done to my family. I cannot imagine going back to it. Day 3 today.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateeDidnt View Post
You know how when a relationship ends, you end up HATING that person? That is how I feel about alcohol now. I HATE it. I hate what it has done to me. I hate what it has done to my family. I cannot imagine going back to it. Day 3 today.
Here, here...I second that!

Well said Katee. Short but powerful. You should save that one in your personal diary...that very emotionally laden thought is a pretty powerful weapon to have in your sobriety aresenal if ever needed.

Nicely done!
Old 10-09-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Gandhi: Hate the sin, not the sinner.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Tobers

BSober1, glad you are still with us. Keep checking in sister!

Welcome anchorbird and zombiebbq.

Zombie, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I know it may not appear that there are any positives in your current circumstances, but...

...maybe there is a silver lining: You've learned early on some of the disasters associated with problem drinking. Addiction is progressive and problems only get worse. You seem young, eager, and smart. Use these to your advantage. Stay sober, get strong, be positive, and grow in new ways. This will make you an attractive candidate in any areana. It may not seem this way right now, but there will be plenty of opportunities out there for a person like you.

You asked about support, advice, and insight...you'll find plenty of that here. Hang in there through this rough patch. It's gonna be hard, no doubt. But it will get better if you get better. Keep posting.

Rubbersoul, glad you are back. Nice job staying strong the other day sister. You've done 11 months before, you know you can do it again. I like the HALT strategy you posted. MythofSisyphus posted something I find pretty helpful. I've reposted below:

So far no pearls of wisdom and no secrets. Just the Big Plan to never drink
again and never change my mind. Every time I entertain the fantasy I let the film run to the end of the reel...and it's always the same. I'll always end up broken, humiliated and physically destroyed. If insanity is repeating the same actions expecting different results then drinking again is the very definition of insanity. I've proven to myself time and time again that I can't drink in moderation, so it's pointless to try and fail yet again.

How's it going PumpkinPie?

Siesta??? Where are you honey? We are here and pulling for you. Don't get trapped. Come back.

Nice plan Victoria74 on staying busy this weekend. I'm sure your kids are gonna love the hike and yummy food (read below for more thoughts on getting through the weekend if interested).

Congrats on Day 2 Elle27 (drats on teeth and gums though). Elle, weekend was scary for me too. I stayed really busy in an effort to remain distracted. It worked. Honestly Elle, when it was over I felt so good about myself. I was rejuvenated in a way I hadn't felt in years...clearheaded, in control, and unburdened by emotional stessors of shame, guilt, and regret associated with letting myself and others down and failing to reach my potential. IT WAS WONDERFUL. I agree with SkyeSea, it was the best "buzz" I've felt in a long time. And I'm still feeling that way now (Wednesday). HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

By the way, every week there is a new "weekend forum" on SR to provide support and keep the weekend triggers at bay.

Tobers of honorable mention(!): Sobermarathon, FishOutaWatta, InsaneHeart (bummer on illness, hang in there), MickinMd, 83mamaOf2, DoubleDragons, ctrl (darn Rays). Keep up the good work ladies and gentleman. You all are an inspiration to me.