Notices

Class of October 2013 Part 2

Old 10-09-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

What, I don't even get an honorable mention?

Just kidding, hope everyone is hanging in there.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Driver, you are such a thoughtful sweetheart! Your twins are going to have a wonderful father!!! And a sober, present one to boot!!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

And Bil, you are great, too! ;-)
Old 10-09-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
What, I don't even get an honorable mention?

Just kidding, hope everyone is hanging in there.
Are you kidding?! I was saving the best for last!

With no further adieu, nice work Bilr44, you're sitting at the top of the class!

All kidding aside bud, yup, you rock! I know you are somewhere near day 45. Nice work man. What's the best thing you've learned over the past 6 weeks?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Driver,

I haven't learned a lot over the past weeks but am feeling physically and mentally in a better place. My anxiety levels are a lot lower and I am feeling physically much better. What I thought were food allergies was actually just alcohol related symptoms. I went to the pharmacy yesterday with a liquor store right next door. Six weeks ago I would have been pulled in, now I am being pulled away. I have a party to go to next Saturday and I will be the designated driver for my wife who rarely drinks, and two glasses of wine is a lot for her. I am envious of people who don't have this disease.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am envious of people who don't have this disease.
Me too. sigh

Bilr, good luck going to a party. I have two to go to, one tonight and one Friday night. I would skip them because it is still so early on and who needs that temptation, but I can't because one is a fundraiser for a group I am part of and the other is an awards banquet at which both my kids will be honored.

Its times like this I am glad I am NOT a social drinker. I prefer not to drink when in public.

What have others here done when faced with having to go to a party or other social event where drinking is expected? Do you skip it? or go?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateeDidnt View Post
Me too. sigh Bilr, good luck going to a party. I have two to go to, one tonight and one Friday night. I would skip them because it is still so early on and who needs that temptation, but I can't because one is a fundraiser for a group I am part of and the other is an awards banquet at which both my kids will be honored. Its times like this I am glad I am NOT a social drinker. I prefer not to drink when in public. What have others here done when faced with having to go to a party or other social event where drinking is expected? Do you skip it? or go?
Hi katee...I personally would go to the party but just make sure you have a prop in your hand all night (coke zero on rocks for me) and a solid gameplan if someone asks you if you want a drink or questions why you aren't drinking. I would even rehearse what you will say ahead of time because it's bound to come up - it would for me since people are used to seeing me get bombed at these social events.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Katee - I go and hold my head high as a non-drinker. No one has to know why I don't or why I stopped.

The more I put it out there that I don't drink, the more NOT drinking becomes part of my persona.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Katee, Can you go to either event with a cup of Starbucks or something like that? I walked into my book club with a cup of tea last night, which kind of put up a "road block" for me to be tempted to get a glass of wine or for anyone to offer it to me. Just a thought . . .
Old 10-09-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That is an awesome idea DD. Stalling things calms everyone down re: the "hey you just showed up and need a drink ASAP".
Old 10-09-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Like Katee, I am not a social drinker and don't feel pressure. I have never been to a party where someone did more than just asked if I wanted a drink. I've never been pressured to drink except maybe when I was younger a LOOOONG time ago. I am usually more interested in what food is at the party. My wife and I are opposites, I live to eat and she eats to live. Probably explains my drinking problem.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Hi, Tobies.

Just came home from my first wine-free book club EVER!! (seriously, one time I hosted book club and my son asked if it were wine club or book club) No slurring, repeating the same points, making long drawn-out pointless remarks, for this member! Yay! Finishing Day 10 . . . .

See ya tomorrow. Sweet peaceful dreams for all!
Good job! Hope the book was worth it.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Hi, Tobies.

Just came home from my first wine-free book club EVER!! (seriously, one time I hosted book club and my son asked if it were wine club or book club) No slurring, repeating the same points, making long drawn-out pointless remarks, for this member! Yay! Finishing Day 10 . . . .

See ya tomorrow. Sweet peaceful dreams for all!
Originally Posted by Elle27 View Post
Hi to all! 😋

Just checking in on day 2, feeling ok apart from my gums n teeth, have to go and have 3 taken out at hospital, have gum disease n I'm sure it's from the drinking over the years. Slept well last night but then I generally do the night after bingeing on booze!!

Haven't told anyone yet that that I'm not drinking, not even my partner, as have done so before and I've failed miserably. Got to do it this time and the weekend is looming which is when my Demon comes out to play, Even though I drink every/every other day, I am better in the week as I know I have to get up and drive the kids to school, I will start in the week about 4pm and finish bout 8pm, then crash on the couch once kids are in bed. Friday and Sat are my biggest downfall, when I know I don't have to get up early or drive, the demons are out in full force and I get totally blind drunk.

I don't want Friday to come this week....

Ellexx
Elle - you can do it! By Friday you will have gathered plenty of momentum to storm the weekend ramparts. Go for it.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

A very good friend just asked if I can pick her up at the city on Friday evening very late. I was happy she asked, an excellent excuse to stay sober. The plan for a sober weekend is taking form and I am less afraid of it as I have thought it through and made plans.
Elle - letīs stay sober together, we can make it! I am also planning on being online her a lot for support.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Feeling beat tonight folks. All is well, just need some good sleep. Day 7 in the books. Keep up the great work and will check in tomorrow...
Old 10-09-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
BSober1

Hi Insaneheart...you may want to go to the Dr... I thought I had bronchitis and it turned out to be the flu...ugh!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
BSober1

Hi Everyone, checking in...Day 3 for me... I read a book that said it takes 4 days for the alcohol to get completely out of your system, so I am trying so hard to get to Day 4... I am really lovin' this class of October!!! Thanks so much for all your stories, support and funnies.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I am envious of people who don't have this disease.
ctrl once posted something that got me thinking about this.

Something like: "I am thankful for my alcoholism"

His point was that without it, he would liklely still be drinking (or attmepting to drink) in moderation and missing all that his eyes have opened up to in a sober world. I found that to be a productive way of looking at things.

I don't miss anything about driniking at this point and I am finding sobriety to be a nice way to spend the day.

Anyway, it's tough for me to be envious of those who don't hae the disease. I can't compare my self to them simply because my relationship with alcohol is different than theirs. They don't think like we do. They can generally take it or leave it. But not me. I just take it.

I'm trying to accept that fate now and move on.

Feeling pretty good on day 10..
Old 10-09-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

congrats sober marathon and victoria.
bsober, it is my day 3 too.

you three are online now. I need talked down right now. just hung up with my boss and am very anxious ..the kind of anxious that I usually kill with a beer. so if anyone is there please help by doing your magic!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Checking in on another day drink free...currently at school right now waiting for a class to begin, so staying out of trouble
Pumpkin- thanks for your comments yesterday. I'm happy to know there's another girl my age who's taking this journey around the same time I am. My best friend has pledged alot of support, including going to AA meetings with me (her dad has been an active AA member and sponser for over 25 years). And i have my boyfriend too...but in the end I don't know anyone who is specifically working on quitting drinking.
Driver- thanks for the encouragement. Not only was the accident itself and my decision to drink and drive a huge wake up call...my parents (and other members of both sides of my family) have been "functioning" alcoholics for over a decade. Heck, both my parents also got DUI's...in the late 70s when the penalty was more a slap on the wrist and couldn't haunt you forever. I know alcoholism is strong within my genes and if this hadn't happened now I could have easily slipped down that slope. So although I am distraught and angry at myself...I know in the end I did my health and my future a big favor by working on my sobriety.
Anyone else thinking of going to AA? I have never been, not sure what to expect...especially since I know I don't just want to get support for my own struggles but also how to deal with the alcoholics I have in my life. Hope everyone is staying strong!