Notices

Class of October 2013 Part 2

Old 10-12-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Hi guys, decent day. Indulged in take out and watching a movie. I had a few instances of snappiness today. Sleep has been terrible but a new mattress is coming, I'm sleeping on a flattened foam pad from 2002. Florida trip coming up to relax and it is actually helping me not drink. I want to feel ok. Sun, beach, seafood, hotel, on demand movies and good sleep and come back feeling decent, not dying.

Good luck all,

J
Old 10-12-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Day on the water was great. Kids were fun and way jazzed to catch fish. Beautiful day. And then they (the kids) left early, and WE could fish. ahhhhhhh.

Topped off the day with three -- count 'em, three -- glasses of Diet "Dr. Thunder" (yup, Walmart's knock-off). Drove by the liquor store with narry a glance.

'Nuther day tomorrow!

Fishy
Old 10-12-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Waking Up Sober--priceless

Congrats Fish--sounds like things are going well. I'm a cyclist also and since I quit drinking I've more than doubled my weekly mileage--I think the exercise is really good for our mental fitness also.
Although I used to reward myself after a long ride with a bout of drinking--now I just tell my AV he can have some ice cream or brownies instead.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

There was a poll, a while back here on SR, asking what one most important thing that helped people stay sober, and the overwhelming answer was exercise. Some advice I need to take. I'm fatter and eating take-out every night to make up for drinking.

Plus I have chronic depression, 20+ years now and the one thing besides meds is exercise.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:42 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SarahLanter View Post

I'm still using beer to taper off — I'm afraid to go cold turkey. I'm not recommending this to anyone, just saying I'm using it to combat the DTs. Sooner rather than later (within the week) I'll be off the beer too. Vodka is such a killer. Cheap and available and so effective until it stops working for you. I managed a little Muscle Milk Protein Drink a little earlier. And I bought some grapes, tomatoes, and mushrooms to nibble on. I like your idea of chicken broth. I wonder how it would cook up with a little oatmeal? That's always soothing. Also, I drinking a lot of water plus 2 grams of vitamin C daily.
Sarah, are you taking any B vitamins? Most heavy drinkers are very deficient in vitamin B. I personally stay away from the high potency ones but a B50 or B100 is good. Take with food, preferably in the morning as it will give an energy boost.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:31 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johnny555 View Post
There was a poll, a while back here on SR, asking what one most important thing that helped people stay sober, and the overwhelming answer was exercise. Some advice I need to take. I'm fatter and eating take-out every night to make up for drinking. Plus I have chronic depression, 20+ years now and the one thing besides meds is exercise.
Hey Johnny...exercise definitely helps me a lot. I started running 4yrs ago to help cut down on drinking and quit smoking. Although I still had my problems as a result of continued drinking, regular exercise helped get me on the right path. Eliminating toxins, increasing metabolism, releasing endorphins, you name it, all is possible through exercise. If running isn't your thing, why not take up boxing or bodybuilding or swimming or anything you like? There are many possibilities out there. I also deal with depression. I find that I'm most depressed when I'm not doing anything about it, just making things worse. I am happiest when I'm exercising regularly, getting my work done at work and around the house, eating well, and sleeping well. Keep up the fight - you can feel better!!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
Driver,

Don't sell yourself short. The good news is that you stayed strong today. My guess is if you REALLY wanted that beer your AV would have found a way for you to sneak out and get it. I'm just fed up with the lying, hiding, and shame to drink. Luckily my drink of choice is not beer because it is way to easy to get here in Florida. .
I have a tendency to beat myself up.

Anyway, on to a new day and will get plantig done early. Then structure up for some fun.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Seems like it gets a bit slower around here on weekends.

Wow Double, 4 little ones. I can't imagine. Bet that keeps you on your toes. Strong Sunday Double. Take care.

Sarah, how was your night? Oatmeal and chicken broth? Please tell me I mis-read that! Whatever gets you through I suppose. Sarah, I know you know a whole lot more about all this than i, but I'm guessing your body could use a bit more protein.

johnny555, glad things are going well so far. We're finally turning the corner on summer down here. BEAUTIFUL.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

hi guys and girls

still here and sober

left arm completely covered in tattoo ink now

also got a sore leg as i knocked my new tattoo on my leg

no tattooing today

a visit to my friends house a quick play on ps2

prepare sunday tea

and off to aa meeting this evening

its very wet weather here today so cant do much out side
Old 10-13-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Hey all. Definitely slower on the weekends...just so much going on.

I don't know about you all, but I'm starting to get really pissed at my old self, and I'm finding some serious motivation to not only "not suck", but to be great.

3 weeks down...today is day 22.

Have a solid Sunday.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Woke up sober again today, small miracles. Had weird dream of being at my HS reunion and there were bottles of tequila in front of everyone at the table. I'm not sure what that was about as I've only drank tequila once in my life. Just glad to wake up and realize it was a dream. Looking forward to another day to enjoy sober down here.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johnny555 View Post
There was a poll, a while back here on SR, asking what one most important thing that helped people stay sober, and the overwhelming answer was exercise. Some advice I need to take. I'm fatter and eating take-out every night to make up for drinking.

Plus I have chronic depression, 20+ years now and the one thing besides meds is exercise.
Thanks, Johnny... being new here I didn't know the results of the poll. Cognitively, I know exercise is important but it's the last thing I incorporate into my program. You've just given me the information I need to structure this day.
If I can do it for just one day, then maybe I can do it two days in a row. I'll hang onto that thought.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

SOBER SUNDAY y'all! Thanks for making the weekend a REAL weekend full of a thousand sights/sounds and smells- all free of the numbing of booze.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Sarah, are you taking any B vitamins? Most heavy drinkers are very deficient in vitamin B. I personally stay away from the high potency ones but a B50 or B100 is good. Take with food, preferably in the morning as it will give an energy boost.
You bet. I take a B complex in a sublingual liquid 4X/day. Plus I take 250 mg of flush-free niacin 2x/day. This has greatly improved my sleep the last 3 nights. The sublingual form doesn't have that nasty after-taste that the tabs have and it provides a very quick calming effect. I got them on Amazon.com.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Driver1 View Post
Seems like it gets a bit slower around here on weekends.

Wow Double, 4 little ones. I can't imagine. Bet that keeps you on your toes. Strong Sunday Double. Take care.

Sarah, how was your night? Oatmeal and chicken broth? Please tell me I mis-read that! Whatever gets you through I suppose. Sarah, I know you know a whole lot more about all this than i, but I'm guessing your body could use a bit more protein.

johnny555, glad things are going well so far. We're finally turning the corner on summer down here. BEAUTIFUL.
Best night yet. I was having a hard time staying awake early in the evening, so I went to bed and read for about 30 minutes, turned the lights off at 7:30. I slept until about 6:30 this morning. I woke up a few times but went right back to sleep.

I'm serious about the oatmeal. The chicken broth would boost the protein. I found several recipes online, believe it or not. Here is one I'm trying today:

Cook oatmeal in chicken broth (add ginger). Season with soy sauce (protein) and top with sliced green onion. Some recipes suggested topping with a poached egg but that's way too ambitious for me. I'll barely manage cooking the oatmeal.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Hi, guys. Still here (14 days, yay!!) I have to admit, I'm a little down. I've had some major digestion issues. I think the issues are related to me taking melatonin to sleep. (be careful with this stuff, you guys) I have had drinking dreams every single night. (not nightmares anymore, but every dream involves alcohol). I find the constant thinking, dreaming, focusing, etc. about not drinking to be really exhausting. I want so much to feel and look better, but that just isn't happening for me right now. The spoiled, instant gratification part of me is annoyed at not seeing/feeling more results, although logically, I know 14 days isn't all that long and I wasn't drinking during the weekdays over the summer, anyway. I think I do need some exercise. I am going to go look at the yoga schedule today. Thanks for being here, guys and gals.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Day 5

Feeling better every day. Still waking up with anxiety, but at least not until after a good night sleep. Dealing with some things I may have blown off (paying bills and cleaning house) I can't believe how tired I have been, but I've still been managing a minimum of 10,000 steps a day. Planning on running tomorrow morning with a good friend. I think I will come clean to her while we are out.

It's a beautiful sunny fall day today. Drinking some coffee and making banana muffins with the kiddos, then we will take the dog for a nice long walk and collect some leaves for an art project.

Hope everybody has a sweet Sunday!

Poppies
Old 10-13-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday Everyone! I'm off to enjoy the day, jar of peach oolong tea in hand.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Hi, guys. Still here (14 days, yay!!) I have to admit, I'm a little down. I've had some major digestion issues. I think the issues are related to me taking melatonin to sleep. (be careful with this stuff, you guys) I have had drinking dreams every single night. (not nightmares anymore, but every dream involves alcohol). I find the constant thinking, dreaming, focusing, etc. about not drinking to be really exhausting. I want so much to feel and look better, but that just isn't happening for me right now. The spoiled, instant gratification part of me is annoyed at not seeing/feeling more results, although logically, I know 14 days isn't all that long and I wasn't drinking during the weekdays over the summer, anyway. I think I do need some exercise. I am going to go look at the yoga schedule today. Thanks for being here, guys and gals.
10 to 14 days is a PAWS window. Melatonin has never worked well for me, but I have been getting good results with liquid vitamin B drops and diphenhydramine (Zeequil, etc) which also helps with the nausea. Diphen is the active ingredient in Dramamine which also contains caffeine.

Hang in there for another day or two, you'll see a big change.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Happy to be joining the class of October 2013