Notices

Class of October 2013 Part 2

Old 10-09-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateeDidnt View Post
congrats sober marathon and victoria. bsober, it is my day 3 too. you three are online now. I need talked down right now. just hung up with my boss and am very anxious ..the kind of anxious that I usually kill with a beer. so if anyone is there please help by doing your magic!
Don't touch it. Go for a walk, go buy something at the mall, call your mom, anything. You'll regret it otherwise, trust me!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Its times like this I am glad I am NOT a social drinker. I prefer not to drink when in public.

What have others here done when faced with having to go to a party or other social event where drinking is expected? Do you skip it? or go?
I go. It's not a problem for me. I'm probably like you...someone who prefers to drink at home.

At any rate, if you typically don't drink in public, doesn't seem like it should be much of a problem for you as others wouldn't notice any difference ;0)

Just the same, hope it goes well for ya. And CONGRATS on your kids getting honored at the event! You should be proud!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Donīt do it! You will not wake up tomorrow regretting you didnīt drink but if you pick up a drink now you have to start all over again. And we are both at day 3, letīs make it 4!!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I am actually in tears because I didn't think it was going to be this hard. I thought this morning that I would have no problem. I am so thankful there are people here to help get me through this
Old 10-09-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

The kicker is, the call as a GOOD call, but I feel so anxious and I guess this is withdrawal but I am so upset
Old 10-09-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Victoria74 View Post
A very good friend just asked if I can pick her up at the city on Friday evening very late. I was happy she asked, an excellent excuse to stay sober. The plan for a sober weekend is taking form and I am less afraid of it as I have thought it through and made plans.
Elle - letīs stay sober together, we can make it! I am also planning on being online her a lot for support.
Elle and Victoria sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I...!!

Kidding of course, sticking together may be one of our greatest weapon for beating those demons down.

V74, glad to hear your plan is coming together.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

congrats sober marathon and victoria.
bsober, it is my day 3 too.

you three are online now. I need talked down right now. just hung up with my boss and am very anxious ..the kind of anxious that I usually kill with a beer. so if anyone is there please help by doing your magic!
Forget about it Katee. Not worth it. Day 3. You've worked hard. Don't give it up and don't give in. Play it out. How's this gonna feel later? Hang in there honey.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Katee - you are entering an unknown world of how to react, celebrate, grieve, and relax without alcohol. Like the rest of us, you are inexperienced.

Take this opportunity to learn and grow. Who knows where the feelings will take you? But know this - you'll never find out if you drink.

We will all get better at this...drinking is never the right choice.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Driver,

I guess I meant to say I am envious of people like my wife who can have one glass of wine and switch to diet coke. I know that never was, and never will be me, and I have comforted in knowing this. This site has helped me realize what I am and that there are so many others like me. The physical cravings are long gone and the mental cravings are getting weaker with each passing day. I know I passed a BIG test last week when my wife was out traveling for three days. This normally would have meant a three day binge without any worries. I passed this test so hopefully it makes me stronger for the next one.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zombiebbq View Post
Checking in on another day drink free... thanks for the encouragement. Not only was the accident itself and my decision to drink and drive a huge wake up call...my parents (and other members of both sides of my family) have been "functioning" alcoholics for over a decade. Heck, both my parents also got DUI's...in the late 70s when the penalty was more a slap on the wrist and couldn't haunt you forever. I know alcoholism is strong within my genes and if this hadn't happened now I could have easily slipped down that slope. So although I am distraught and angry at myself...I know in the end I did my health and my future a big favor by working on my sobriety.
Anyone else thinking of going to AA? I have never been, not sure what to expect...especially since I know I don't just want to get support for my own struggles but also how to deal with the alcoholics I have in my life. Hope everyone is staying strong!
Way to go Zombie! You are on the right path with all that insight into your family history and possible predisposition.

I know things are going to work out for you. One ding on your record is not gonna slow you down too long. We all make mistakes...makes you look kinda regular. And we all like to pull for someone down and give second chances.

I've never tried AA so can't comment. I kinda feel like I'm in a constant meeting here amongst this group! Staying in tune here and posting often has kept me pretty engaged in my sobriety efforts. Thanks Tobers
Old 10-09-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Bil,

Being a natural foods/supplement kind of gal, I checked out information on kudzu. What concerned me about it, is that testing showed that it could be helpful for heavy drinkers to drink less alcohol, once they started drinking for the night. The key word being "could" and also that it really had no effect on curbing your cravings, just possibly helping to lower your intake whiile drinking alcohol because it made it harder for your body to process the alcohol. Also, those tests were inconclusive. That just seems like a slippery slope for us folk, on this forum?!? AV looking for new way to bring drinking back into the scene?!?
Old 10-09-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
Driver,

I guess I meant to say I am envious of people like my wife who can have one glass of wine and switch to diet coke. I know that never was, and never will be me, and I have comforted in knowing this. This site has helped me realize what I am and that there are so many others like me. The physical cravings are long gone and the mental cravings are getting weaker with each passing day. I know I passed a BIG test last week when my wife was out traveling for three days. This normally would have meant a three day binge without any worries. I passed this test so hopefully it makes me stronger for the next one.
That's awesome Bilr. Glad to hear what I have to look forward to regarding cravings.

And most excellent job on the "test". I'm fearful for that test. My wife travels quite a bit so I naturally go off deep-end cause no one there to see me.

As it turns out, she won't be traveling for quite a while now (pregnant) so I think I've dodged that bullet for now. My resolve is pretty strong at this point though so I'm thinking I'll be prepared when that day does arrive.

Stay strong brother!
Old 10-09-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

DD,

I see your point about kudzu. It is not for everyone so I shouldn't sponsor it here. I used it prior to using this forum.

Driver, I am sure you will pass the future tests.

Katee, please hang in there, these early cravings do pass. You just have to power through the first week.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Fishy- Going to the dentist and getting a shot all in one day does not sound fun. The orange soda sounds amazing though!(one of my favorites)

83mama- I think I may try the drinking virgin drinks if I ever feel left out. I am going on a honeymoon in January somewhere tropical (haven't decided the destination) and I wanna sip on a fruity tropical umbrella drink! Even if it doesnt have any alcohol lol

doubledragons- I have always wanted to join a book club. I love to read! Hmm something I think I should look into.

Elle- I know how you feel. Since this is my first week sober as the weekend draws nearer I worry more and more. I think I'm going to take advice from alot of the tobies and try to plan out my weekend with things to do. Then hopefully I can look forward to the weekend and not worry about all the idle time I will have.

insaneheart- I had a sinus infection last week Thankfully I went to the doctor fairly quickly and was feeling good by the weekend. Not necessarily a good thing that also means I was feeling good enough to drink by the weekend. Very happy I made the decision to quit. Yay day 3

driver- I'm good! I have been on this cooking kick all week lol I don't cook, mainly because I'm not good at it. I have needed something to look forward to in the evenings so I am onto my third cooked meal and dessert tonight! I have gotten anxious as the week goes by. This evening is the first of me being at the house alone until the fiance gets home at 10:40ish. Honestly I'm stressed. I have a test at school right after work and usually after I finish a test I wanna go out and treat myself. You would think I'd be stressed about the test, but know I'm stressed about all my free time after the test haha. I look forward to reading posts through out the day and think I may start getting on in the evenings to keep me occupied.

sobermarathon- great idea on the keeping a prop in hand all night!! I will definitely use that at the halloween party I have to go to at the end of the month.

All and all its been a good day. Looking forward to kicking butt on this test and then going home to cook and probably clean. Maybe even get to sit down and get through the book I have been reading. Said something to a close coworker about not drinking and he was bummed. Mainly because we would have happy hour drinks once in awhile. I just laughed it off and started talking about what I'm cooking tonight. I know the people that are real friends won't care if I don't drink and I'm sure he will be fine with it. Last night while laying in bed I talked to the fiance about advice and stories yall have shared and he had to ask if I was talking about a friend I knew or the online group lol That made me laugh especially when he goes you know someone named driver?! haha This group definitely keeps my uplifted! Hope everyone is having a great day!

<Day 3>
Old 10-09-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

We've had threads on kudzu before - never tried it myself.

I usually check things out with any kind of treatments and I couldn't find any horror stories - but I couldn't find very many independently verified success stories either.

I suspect, like anything, what might work for some may not work for others

Always best to check with your Dr before taking any supplement anyway, especially if you're on other meds...
D
Old 10-09-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Way to go Pumpkin! Yup, staying close to Tober forum works fo me. Lots of great people out there!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing Katee?

I didn't go out for a while after I quit, because everytime I did that I drank again - all my friends drank, our parties were geared to drinking, they expected me to drink.

I needed time off to really decide what I wanted. When I was sure that I wanted to be sober, then nothing anyone could do or say could sway me, and I was resentful of others drinking around me.

Sure I missed a few parties, but I've been to many more since. I don't ever think about the ones I missed

It's a natural thing to want to get on and live life and not have to think about recovery, per se...

but don't underestimate this thing or the effort required in the beginning...my advice is take it gently for a few months and choose your social activities carefully.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Just checking in before calling it a day, super tired but sober!

Hope you're all well.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Waking Up Sober--priceless

Hey Tobies--day 14 and things are going fairly well. I had a nightmare this morning about my old job, even though I retired 6 years ago--I hope that doesn't repeat very often :-).
Anyway it's almost bedtime and my sleep has been getting much better with the exception of last night, and tomorrow will be my 14th wakeup sober. A record going back at least 20 years, but I am looking forward to getting this first full month behind me.

Katee, hang in there--the first few days are hard but things will get better soon!
Old 10-09-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Tobies,

Checking in -- was away from the computer most of the day. Went fishing (I didn't say "catching fish", 'cause that didn't happen!). Great to be in a beautiful place on a beautiful day. Heck of a lot better than a dentist's chair!

Best part? Day 15 is in the bank! But I missed staying abreast of y'all's doin's.

Fishy