Notices

Class of October 2013 Part 2

Old 10-10-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I think I'm not alone in not posting as frequently as I would wish, unfortunately I don't have enough time to comment on everyone's stories (sorry). That being said, this forum has been exceptionally helpful to me when I'm feeling stressed and craving a drink. Thank you to all the people who have kept me going, whether by advice or sharing stories that I can relate to, especially Dee, DoubleDragons and Sobermarathon - thanks guys! I've just crossed off my tenth day sober on the calender, a real milestone for me. Let's keep going everyone!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Back on Board. 10/10 day 1 again but feel I perhaps had my last drink yesterday afternoon. I've always heard folks say 'you will remember your last drink' and I feel enough things clicked in me to make it memorable and to finally really move forward.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hello all! Today is my 7th day sober and I haven't really experienced many urges to drink so far. I am staying vigilant because I know they can sneak up on you like a thief in the night!

I'm a little concerned about this weekend though. I fly out of town tomorrow for my company's national meeting, which is held in Florida through the weekend. There will be a lot of drinking, so my plan is to retire early to my room each night...if I can.

My sleeping and body aches have gotten better. Last night I fell asleep watching tv, which is a first since I've quit. Most nights I toss and turn and only sleep in short intervals. My body and joints quit aching and my limbs aren't falling asleep as much. My energy levels are picking up and I'm so clear headed. Determined to never touch alcohol again!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Simka View Post
Hello all! Today is my 7th day sober and I haven't really experienced many urges to drink so far. I am staying vigilant because I know they can sneak up on you like a thief in the night!

I'm a little concerned about this weekend though. I fly out of town tomorrow for my company's national meeting, which is held in Florida through the weekend. There will be a lot of drinking, so my plan is to retire early to my room each night...if I can.

My sleeping and body aches have gotten better. Last night I fell asleep watching tv, which is a first since I've quit. Most nights I toss and turn and only sleep in short intervals. My body and joints quit aching and my limbs aren't falling asleep as much. My energy levels are picking up and I'm so clear headed. Determined to never touch alcohol again!
Seems like you are well on your way Simka - we're all in this together! Hang in there over the weekend.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I just joined this morning, though I've been surfing through for months. Today, I'm just trying not to get as drunk as I usually am by this time. I poured out all the vodka and have a beer every hour or so. I'm afraid to stop drinking suddenly, so until I can find a detox center that takes medicare, I'm tapering off. Objective No# One — quit vodka.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Welcome to all you Newcomers!!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

SaraLanter,

How much are you drinking daily? Have you tried quitting before? How is it going today? We are all here for you.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I've been drinking a lot, 8-10 beers, several vodka drinks. Yes, I was sober over 4 years. The last couple of years I've managed to put some weeks of sobriety together, but always relapsed. I'm done. This forum and a couple of others have helped me through this day. Some beers but no vodka. There have been some really bad moments but right now I'm good.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hey Tobies!

Hope everyone is doing well today.

LOVING SOBRIETY; feeling stronger everyday!

Just wanted to check in with Tober-mates.

Way to go WhitePawn, George88, and Fishout!

Imabuleva, I believe too...no more shame...fantastic!

Bilr44, good luck on interview (and dentist!). Congrats on 39!

InsaneHeart, Day 19...brilliant.

KateeDidn't, way to be strong yesterday (sorry late on the PM, I'm new to this).

Hi DoubleDragons and Vicotria74. Hope you both are well in your parts of the world.

Nice job Avra!

Welcome ejackson, SarahLanter, and Simka. Lots of great people here for support. Keep posting; it helps. Simka, staying close to this forum helped me through the first weekend. SR also has a weekly "Weekend" forum that you can join for that extra little sobriety committment.

JoeinHouston has a fat wallet...party at his house (no alcohol)! Seriously though, nice insights bud, thanks for sharing.

Welcome back RiverFriend.

SoberMarathon, thanks for sharing your story. Our drunken backstories may differ but I can relate to ending the madness. I couldn't be more happy that I got off that train(wreck). Nice job on day 8.

Pumpkin, what's cookin?

Siesta, where are you?? Please come back. I hope you are OK.

drowsy, zombiebbq, MickinMd, how's it going?

ItsViolet, TreeLover, Erratic, jazzfish, Hawkeye, BSober1, 83mamaOf2, RubberSoul, you out there. If you fell off, don't sweat it. Get back on. We need ya! Sobriety is a fun ride, I promise.

Wishing all well.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I was drinking about the equivalent of 12 shots of vodka per day so I here you. I was not much of a wine or beer person except occasionally at parties. I stopped cold turkey almost 40 days ago but I can't advise you to do that. The best think would be go to a doctor or rehab. I didn't have really bad side effects from stopping except insomnia which lasted about a week. I would get to a doctor or rehab soon because you are still drinking beer which isn't stopping, but only prolonging the inevitable. Good luck to you and there are usually a lot of people to listen or talk to in here. We are all in the same boat.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I just had a craving at work, and it completely sneaked up on me. It passed as soon as it came over me.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Imabuleva View Post
I just had a craving at work, and it completely sneaked up on me. It passed as soon as it came over me.
Hang strong Imabuleva
Old 10-10-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

If I were in detox I'd quit cold turkey (though even there you're medicated to prevent seizures). I live alone and I'm afraid to suddenly quit; it's just too dangerous. Still, a detox is the best possible answer, either inpatient (maybe 3 days) or outpatient.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SarahLanter View Post
I just joined this morning, though I've been surfing through for months. Today, I'm just trying not to get as drunk as I usually am by this time. I poured out all the vodka and have a beer every hour or so. I'm afraid to stop drinking suddenly, so until I can find a detox center that takes medicare, I'm tapering off. Objective No# One — quit vodka.
Hi Sarah. Probably samrt too taper off so I get the Objective No#One.

What is your ultimate goal?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hello all- hope everyone is having a great SOBER day! I myself am a little down, had to meet with my lawyer about my pending DUI case and also am waiting to see if my car is fixable...want to crawl into a pit of despair but I keep telling myself: you made this mess, you can clean it up. I was happy to hear that in NJ a DUI is a traffic violation and not a criminal one, so my initial fear of it ruining any career I'm working for has been diminished.
My parents are in Florida, and we did not have a very good conversation when I tried to fill them in. Of course it didn't help that they had probably been drinking since 10am (and i called at 530pm) because they are on "vacation". Its very discouraging to know that conversations with drunk people are never as productive and civil as they could be sober! Anyway, been really enjoying everyone's stories on here, its been my lifeline this past week and will continue to be so. We all have the power to change our OWN lives, even if it seems like they have spiraled out of control. we are the drivers! (no pun intended)
Old 10-10-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Question

I'd like to pick your experienced (collective) minds.

I know many of you have had pretty nice periods of sobriety.

Question: What feeling/thoughts were you having that led you to believe you could go back to drinking? Were you thinking you could give "moderation" a go? How did it go down that you made a decision to drink again?

My resolution is strong right now. But I could see a day that I'm feeling so "in-control" that autopilot goes on and I'd trick myself into thinking I could pick it back up. Guess I'd like to know what coginitions I need to guard against.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Driver,

I quit back in 2010 for I believe 6 months give or take. My wife and I separated and I started taking Valium which led to me to start drinking again. I never gave thought back then that I could control it, I just drank without a care. If it were to happen again I would hope I learned my lesson the first time.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Driver1 View Post
I'd like to pick your experienced (collective) minds.

I know many of you have had pretty nice periods of sobriety.

Question: What feeling/thoughts were you having that led you to believe you could go back to drinking? Were you thinking you could give "moderation" a go? How did it go down that you made a decision to drink again?

My resolution is strong right now. But I could see a day that I'm feeling so "in-control" that autopilot goes on and I'd trick myself into thinking I could pick it back up. Guess I'd like to know what coginitions I need to guard against.
Hi all. I'm from the September class but couldn't help piping in on this. I had 100 days sober last year and then relapsed. I discovered that I have a HUGE trigger with rewarding myself. I managed to survive a very stressful week and just decided I deserved the reward of drinking again. My AV didn't try to trick me into just having one. It said I deserved 15 for that very difficult time I just survived. I'm trying to watch the whole reward trigger this time around.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Driver 1, relapse is a tricky thing. After 4 1/2 years of sobriety I went out. First, just by finishing someone else's glass of wine. And my thoughts and feelings about AA began to change. Terence Gorski, who specializes in relapse prevention, says that relapse happens weeks before the first drink. That is my personal experience and observing other people.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SarahLanter View Post
Driver 1, relapse is a tricky thing. Terence Gorski, who specializes in relapse prevention, says that relapse happens weeks before the first drink. That is my personal experience and observing other people.
Wow Sarah, that is tricky. Something to ponder for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Nice job draining the Vodka. Sarah, I hope the next few days go well for you. I'll be thinking about you and sending healing vibes your way. One day at a time, right?