Notices

Class of October 2013 Part 2

Old 10-14-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
I can't believe I drank... Again. I'm so sick of this cycle but the only person who can stop it is me. I think today is a good day to start a sober life.
Don't feel alone; everyone of us has been where you are, some of us more than once. Stay tuned in.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

I really want today to be my first day being sober. I can refrain during the day today but I know tonight when I'm alone I'm going to be fighting the cravings...and that's when it gets tough. Any suggestions?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Hi Group...just quickly checking in on Day 12. I've been away with the family for a long weekend and thus haven't had many opportunities to post. Ran a great half marathon yesterday but I'm sore today. Was nice to get away for some quality time with my wife and kids. Another alcohol free weekend as well. The sacrifice of giving up alcohol is a small price to pay in exchange for a clear head, normal pulse, normal blood pressure, patience, not having to find a toilet every 20 mins, etc, etc. The only time I think I'll miss booze is at social events with other adults. When I'm with my family or alone, I don't even think about it. Just need to learn to deal with social situations minus alcohol...there's the real challenge...for me at least.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

I'm at day one again. Joining this class
Old 10-14-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Firststeps View Post
I really want today to be my first day being sober. I can refrain during the day today but I know tonight when I'm alone I'm going to be fighting the cravings...and that's when it gets tough. Any suggestions?
That's always been the toughest time for me. My best suggestion is stop before you get home and eat something. Don't go home hungry. By-pass the kitchen all together, break up your routine. Take a shower or bubble bath, divert yourself and go to bed early with a book or tape.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Those are great suggestions sarahlanter thinking i will have a better chance of making it through if I have some sort of plan in place. I am the queen of excuses and can already feel them coming up in my head.... Such as physical pain, afraid of not being able to fall asleep without Booz, maybe I can just cut back slowly etc.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Also I have put on weight with all the drinkin and late night binge eating. When I think about cutting back on alcohol my food cravings increase and my vanity/alcoholism start working together to tell me better to have some wine than pizza.... Today I think I will just focus on bein sober and worry about dieting later
Old 10-14-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SarahLanter View Post
That's always been the toughest time for me. My best suggestion is stop before you get home and eat something. Don't go home hungry. By-pass the kitchen all together, break up your routine. Take a shower or bubble bath, divert yourself and go to bed early with a book or tape.
Go to an AA meeting. Take a bath. Eat ice cream.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Firststeps,

I used to tell myself that alcohol was "fat-free calories". Then I'd go ahead and consume 800 "empty" calories. Not so empty -- calories are calories. So, I've stopped the drinking -- now it's fill the void with something else: diet soda, carrots, fruit.

Sober's better.

Fishy
Old 10-14-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Yes, I don't think I can tackle both at once. Right now staying sober is most important and I know I'm Lying to myself if I think drinking will help me get skinnier! I have not started AA but I am thinking about it... Gotta look into finding a group first
Old 10-14-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

First steps, I am a woman in my early 40s. This summer I cut my drinking back drastically and I lost about 20 pounds. I have quit completely for two weeks and I am losing more weight and I am definitely less bloated. My husband is happy with the results, too!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

FirstSteps,

A committment to sobriety is probably the most important decision you will make this year (if not for years). Treat it as such; make it the number one priority. All others (dieting) will fall into place once you get the ball rolling.

Keep yourself distracted today. Best if it is something enjoyable, including food.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

It is amazing how just being able to say what's going on in my head and hearing feedback without judgment makes me feel stronger
Old 10-14-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Day 4 and just checking in. Made it through the weekend and will not drink today. Cheers.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

FirstSteps,

This site is great for all of us. It lets us know we are not alone and a lot of other people are going through the same things. You won't get judged by any of us because we all live in fragile, glass houses. I don't think people who aren't alcoholics can really understand any of this, and because not they judge. While my wife understands that I have a problem, she still doesn't get the whole "I can never drink again" thing. It's not a faucet that can be turned on and off. In my case once the faucet is open it is almost impossible to turn off. Also, as bad as things are for you, there are people even worse off in here. Very humbling.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Happy Monday!

Welcome to all my new classmates. Day 23 here.

I think I might be over the hump, which to me is realize the sh1tstorm that I created by avoiding and isolating myself.

Congrats to SM and Victoria on their races!

WP - you're a cyclist? Driver....

Be sure to check out the Kicking Asphalt thread where we discuss all things exercise.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YoungTom View Post
Just saying that this is my first day sober in a long time. Had to leave work again as I was a mess today. I'm kicking this now for good as I have too much to lose!
Good for you Tom for making this decision and important first steps! This is a great group with lots of people sharing similar experiences and support. Welcome.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RiverFriend View Post
Day 4 and just checking in. Made it through the weekend and will not drink today. Cheers.
Great work on getting through the weekend. I found the first few weekends to be the toughest as I was breaking my usual routine that essentially revolved around alcohol. Once you get a few weekends under your belt, new routines that are alcohol free will develop. Getting sober is totally worth it!! Keep it up.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

My husband is not an alcoholic. He tries to be helpful but it's just hard because he cannot relate at all to my struggle. He has been hurt by me trying feebly to hide my drinking. I know I have broken trust. Today I confessed to him about the drinks I snuck last night. I sent it in a text. Sometimes not sure if honesty is best. Although he loves me, I know he is fed up with it and I hate disappointing him
Old 10-14-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

First Steps, The only people who truly understand what we are going through is us. None of woke up one day and said, damn I want to be an alcoholic. It took years for me to get to that point. Trust me, you will feel much better about yourself when you stop hiding it, and you will slowly gain his trust back. You didn't lose his trust overnight, and unfortunately we can't gain it back real quick either. Keep communicating with him and let him know that you are trying to do the right thing.