View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 01:31 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
SoberMarathon

Originally Posted by johnny555 View Post
There was a poll, a while back here on SR, asking what one most important thing that helped people stay sober, and the overwhelming answer was exercise. Some advice I need to take. I'm fatter and eating take-out every night to make up for drinking. Plus I have chronic depression, 20+ years now and the one thing besides meds is exercise.
Hey Johnny...exercise definitely helps me a lot. I started running 4yrs ago to help cut down on drinking and quit smoking. Although I still had my problems as a result of continued drinking, regular exercise helped get me on the right path. Eliminating toxins, increasing metabolism, releasing endorphins, you name it, all is possible through exercise. If running isn't your thing, why not take up boxing or bodybuilding or swimming or anything you like? There are many possibilities out there. I also deal with depression. I find that I'm most depressed when I'm not doing anything about it, just making things worse. I am happiest when I'm exercising regularly, getting my work done at work and around the house, eating well, and sleeping well. Keep up the fight - you can feel better!!